Tutorial for migration from 1.5 to 1.6?

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Tutorial for migration from 1.5 to 1.6?

Post by aemiller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:42 am

[SOLVED!] would get my vote. :pop

Phehello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Phehello » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am

I do not understand why so many people want to jump to 1.6 - there is nothing wrong with 1.5! So anyone who cannot debug or work with migrating-related issues, then do not. I know it is tempting to want to use the latest and bleeding version of a piece of software. But do not insult our intelligence (or that of hard-working developers) by claiming that 1.6 is bad or its process was handled badly.

Bear in mind that there is nothing wrong with Joomla 1.5. It still has a long lifeline (12 - 18 months), so fledgelings, beginners and non-developers, stick to 1.5 until 1.6 is friendly, easy and soft for all of us to migrate.

It is clear to me that the issue here is migration and not Joomla 1.6 itself. Please excuse these people for wanting to use 1.6 so badly. I have a few suggestions for those of us who cannot deal with the hard core way of dealing with debugging and other variety of issues that will come with trying to migrate.

1) You can install Joomla 1.6 on a fresh site.
2) Then import your DB from your test site into 1.6 (you can even choose to import only content - say jos_content table only)
3) Then install compatible components, modules and other things that can run on Joomla 1.6

Alternatively, you can simply develop your site from scratch in 1.6 - so this will work for those who are working with the new sites. The 1.5 people will then have to wait.

So the noise about how 1.6 is going to mess us up is not true. You should not rush into 1.6 especially if your knowledge of programming is limited - for example if you cannot debug or work with PHP code ...

We have waited for 1.6 for so long, I am sure we can wait a bit longer to ensure that it is tested and migrator components are availed.

Just my two cents ...

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm

As I said earlier, I believe the issue is settled. The last few posts have just been bumping this back up to the top, and not adding anything new. Let the thread die :)

Phehello is correct, though. A jos_content database table dump works with no problems. I even posted a guide on this forum as to how to do it (for non-technical people).
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=625&t=583711

Again, let's see this get marked [SOLVED] because we now have the documentation up on the wiki, and a temporary, partial solution in this guide. PLEASE?

Phehello
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Phehello » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:19 am

agreed

atomicdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by atomicdev » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Exactly rand486 :D

Keaner
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Keaner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

mark it solved? Just the attitude of this whole debacle summed up right there. Thanks Guys. Official 1.6 upgrade path = FAIL.

atomicdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by atomicdev » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it LOL!

severdia
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by severdia » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Keaner wrote:mark it solved? Just the attitude of this whole debacle summed up right there. Thanks Guys. Official 1.6 upgrade path = FAIL.
1.6 upgrade path = SUCCESS! :P
Author | Speaker | Mad Scientist
Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media | http://www.usingjoomlabook.com/
Shakespeare and Joomla | http://www.playshakespeare.com

Keaner
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Keaner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:50 am

severdia wrote:
Keaner wrote:mark it solved? Just the attitude of this whole debacle summed up right there. Thanks Guys. Official 1.6 upgrade path = FAIL.
1.6 upgrade path = SUCCESS! :P
They dont even use 1.6 own there own site. That says volumes right there.

Thanks for all the work since the 1.0 days but the last straw has broke the camels back.

severdia
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by severdia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 am

Keaner wrote: They dont even use 1.6 own there own site. That says volumes right there.
Dunno if that's "volumes" but it says we haven't gotten around to it and we're content to use Joomla 1.5 for the next 18 months if we want (since it's officially supported that long).
Keaner wrote: Thanks for all the work since the 1.0 days but the last straw has broke the camels back.
Dunno what proverbial "camel's back" broke just now, but best of luck with that.

I hereby deem this thread (on my 500th post) has outlived its usefulness. Locked.
Author | Speaker | Mad Scientist
Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media | http://www.usingjoomlabook.com/
Shakespeare and Joomla | http://www.playshakespeare.com

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”