Will Migrating Affect Extensions?

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bobhair
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Will Migrating Affect Extensions?

Post by bobhair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 am

Is migration only for core Joomla? What will happen to extensions used for 1.5?

Tarun
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Will Migrating Affect Extensions?

Post by Tarun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

You'll have to upgrade them.

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 am

also migrating for core joomla is not working good now, its beginning and its not fixed already good I think.
For upgrade extensions, templates ... you need to wait, when your provider will upgrade them :pop
I m Rebel ...

Haseeb Jamal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Haseeb Jamal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Definitely 3rd party extensions must be upgraded separately. This will depend on the extension company, whether they support joomla 1.6 or not. Give 1.6 a few days and you will get to know more. There have been some shortcomings on the part of Joomla team (not really blaming the team, but we are not being patient enough), but am sure there will be some way to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6.

Extensions issues depends on the 3rd party

bobhair
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bobhair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I have too many extensions on my sites. I don't want to risk damaging them. I guess my only option for now is to wait.
Last edited by bobhair on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Regardless of the release of 1.6, it isn't the responsibility of the Joomla! team to ensure that all extensions are compatible with the new version. Yes, some things in the API have changed, but to be perfectly frank, I think that most developers who based their extensions off the Joomla! framework without numerous hacks are close to being 1.6 ready. Shoot, there are developers who have been able to create one package for both versions, so obviously they are doing something right.

I myself am in the process of coding a new component for 1.6. Just on the admin side of things, I have it built and fully functional at a basic level (haven't incorporated all of my features yet), and the only code my admin component has is essentially to build the views, query the database, and to incorporate the ACL. Very little code is overridden in my extended functions, meaning future upgrades should be simple.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”