Complain Complain Complain

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
idreammedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Complain Complain Complain

Post by idreammedia » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok there is an old saying in the developers world...

NEVER implement v1.x.x of ANYTHING when v1.x.1 is best.

I've been developing for 20+ years from Desktop to Web and have never seen a new implementation of any piece of software be 100% spot on and ready to roll. So please ... give them a break!

If you are so unhappy with 1.6.0 then don't use it! Pretty simple. It's like my friends kids ... always have to have the latest and greatest, and when it doesn't work like THEY want it to, they bash it or the maker.

The Joomla team will fix all this, as they always do, so have patience my young Padawans. :pop

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Complain Complain Complain

Post by red2678 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

ROFL. Ok "Master" Jedi....

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm

idreammedia wrote:If you are so unhappy with 1.6.0 then don't use it! Pretty simple.
I don't think we're unhappy with 1.6.0 - in fact it's been highly anticipated. We're unhappy because we can't upgrade lol :D

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm

We're unhappy because we can't upgrade lol
+1 trouble

dumini
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dumini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 pm

About time someone wrote a post like this one.

I don't understand why people are soooo eager to upgrade their 1.5 sites to 1.6 when this version still smells like wet paint!

You folks need to relax and wait for the dev team or someone to put together a migrating tool that works, it'll come. This is most likely on the top of the To Do list.

Anyways, nice version devs. Seems to work good. :)

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 pm

dumini wrote:I don't understand why people are soooo eager to upgrade their 1.5 sites to 1.6 when this version still smells like wet paint!
lol, 1.5 was released this time three years ago!! :pop

avagodro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by avagodro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 am

I just want to say it's good seeing someone start this. I seem to recall that 3 years ago there was a lot of griping and complaining with the release of 1.5. Everyone needs to keep in mind that 1.6 isn't even 2 days old yet. And, as far as a migration tool goes, I test jUpgrade and it worked good. It's still in beta, but content, users, etc moved flawlessly. The developer is still working on migration ability for 3rd party extensions, many of which haven't even been started on for 1.6.

Be patient with this upgrade, and what might be best is to build a "test" site using 1.6 and experiment with some of the new functionality. That's what I have been doing over several beta released, and now with stable.
Steven Voorhees
Owner/CEO
Obsidian Moon Creations
http://om-creations.net

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 am

as I understand K2 from joomlaworks will have a 1.6 version sooner then later. There's your one way. Also this should be the same for any respectable CCK out there (yootheme posted that their Zoo CCK will also be Joomla 1.6 compatible as soon as the next version)

Another shot is Jupgrade, while i could never get the damn thing to work, it looks the developer is more then responsive to the forum threads) so eventually someone will have that perfect installation. If not at least I hope content could be migrated) Im give another shot to Jupgrade tonite.

Also there are Joomla Data export tools such J2XML(I've emailed the author the other day trying to get a response whether J2XML has interest in Joomla 1.6). I'll post if anything .

There are also other content tools, and I think the biggest complaint here is content, that can probably work with Joomla 1.6, and will probably be 1.6 compatible sooner then later). I advice looking into those. I'm not talking about the ones that migrate via sql tables, but those that export yur content into xml/xls/cvs or whatever.

As far as Menus goes - Who cares, menus can be recreated, plus with the new ACL u probably want to give them another look (permissions and whatnot)

News feeds - who cares again

Sections/Categories - Once again u probably want to re-create those due to categories being nested now.

Templates? - Yootheme Posted that their last 19 templates are now 1.6 compatible. There are at least 2 free 1.6 templates out there and with the new templates, as a developer you should be skillfull enough to recreate or upgrade (there's also wiki circulating on 1.6 template upgrade) your 1.6 templates. Oh did I mention GavickPro is having a new framework designed just for 1.6. Expect that to drop soon, they been blogging about it since new years eve.

As end user enjoy joomla 1.6, have fun with it and dont forget when u buggin your developer to upgrade that everything in 1.6 can already be done in 1.5 via hacks and 3dp.
Last edited by d3vlabs on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

avagodro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by avagodro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 am

As an addendum to the above post, JoomlaXTC is also in the process of updating their most recent templates and extensions to Joomla 1.6. RedShop has been working on version 1.1 which is supposed to be 1.6 compatible, and from Community Builder: "We're working sinse today to finish integration with Joomla 1.6.x. Sorry, I do not have a release date for next CB but it is our current top priority. CB is native J1.6.x, but due to last minute API changes within Joomla it broke profile edit and new user creation AFTER we had released CB 1.3.1." This was from their forum admin. Also, phoca.cz has already migrated MOST of their extensions to J!1.6.

So, just from these few people should be able to see that 3rd party developers are moving forward. Many developers waited for 1.6 stable, so they didn't run into problems like CB did in their quote. Be patient...developers are working hard.
Steven Voorhees
Owner/CEO
Obsidian Moon Creations
http://om-creations.net

phill104
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by phill104 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm

All of the template clubs are readying or shipping their new 1.6 stuff. joomlart.com already have most of their extensions available, a complet framework and templates being released daily. Yoo and Rocketheme are doing the same. Give it a couple of months and we will all be more than happy I am sure.

Somebody get the beers in.

sungkhum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sungkhum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 am

idreammedia wrote: The Joomla team will fix all this, as they always do, so have patience my young Padawans.
Just like they "fixed" it for 1.0 to 1.5?
It was never fixed.
The migration was a pain, period. And I waited months, if not a year to upgrade if I recall. And I only upgraded to 1.5 because I really wanted to use an extension that was 1.5 only.

The template upgrade process for 1.0 to 1.5 alone was a killer!

geekette
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by geekette » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 am

Amen to to the admonition to the complainers out there. Joomla blogs around the net have been saying for months that you need to have some patience after the release of Joomla 1.6 and realize that it is okay to wait to upgrade. On most of my 1.0 sites, I waited six months to a year before upgrading. By that time the sites were ready for an overhaul anyway, and I either just migrated content and users or started completely over.
Last edited by geekette on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilma Howell
Joomla! User Group - Dallas / Fort Worth / joomladallas.org

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 am

see this : http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=625&t=584714
for all yur content migration needs

Archangel Michael
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Archangel Michael » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 am

RULES for Complaining

1) Don't upgrade to 1.6 if you're gonna complain about the migration not working on your site.

2) Don't upgrade if you don't know what you're doing (you probably don't).

3) Don't upgrade yet until you get all your Extensions, Components and Plugins ready for upgrading. This means making sure they all are 1.6 ready. They are probably NOT all ready at this time (this WILL improve).

4) Test your upgrades before trying it on a live site. You should have been doing this for six months.

5) Make a backup of your site. Make another one just in case. Make a third if you're compulsive.

6) Upgrade once you and all your extras are ready. Not Before.

7) Don't complain about Joomla if the extension you can't live without isn't ready.

8) Preparing a new Template sucks, but take the time to do a site "refresh" with the latest styles and layouts.

9) Help Joomla migration by reporting specific problems to the appropriate bug chasers.

10) Be prepared to drop/abandon extras that are no longer needed, not current, abandoned BEFORE you upgrade. I would suggest you start paring them out now.

And when YOU are ready to do the migration it will be way smoother than if you try right now when YOU are not ready for Joomla 1.6. YOU have to be ready and Joomla 1.5 was good enough last week for you, it should be good enough this week for you. If you do EVERYTHING I suggested, and it doesn't work, then you can complain. Not until then.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 pm

thats a lot of rules...can I just not complain instead and appreciate all the work joomla team put in into this release :)

Archangel Michael
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Archangel Michael » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 pm

My point is, most of the "complaining" I've seen with respect to 1.6 is about the PEOPLE not being ready to upgrade, NOT because 1.6 isn't ready.

If people had a plain stock Joomla Site (who has that) they could be there right now. But they don't, they've ADDED onto it with new templates, components etc. Those things need to be ready as well as 1.6 before they do an upgrade, and complaining about 1.6 when 1.6 is not really the problem is ... lame.

Good Job to the 1.6 team, and lets light the fire under the JED developers and get them up to 1.6 ASAP.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:15 pm

a lot of extensions are already j1.6 im just waiting on jomsocial and k2, might not even be a need for k2

akeeba backup - 1.6
gavick - news show 1.6
gavick - tabs manager 1.6
phoca - 1.6

dumini
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dumini » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 am

phill104 wrote:All of the template clubs are readying or shipping their new 1.6 stuff. joomlart.com already have most of their extensions available, a complet framework and templates being released daily. Yoo and Rocketheme are doing the same. Give it a couple of months and we will all be more than happy I am sure.

Somebody get the beers in.
Joomlart can't get it together with 1.5 how are they gonna gonna get it together with 1.6?

savagepriest
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by savagepriest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

I read your words of wisdom about 5 mins late damn it i feel sorry :P I have started uploading now

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”