Joomla! 1.6 Live Test Site!

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla! 1.6 Live Test Site!

Post by mikac » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Greetings Joomla! 1.6,

Lot's of "Contribution" stories around Joomla! these days! So here is mine,

My name is Milan Markovic, and I'm a co-founder of http://FoodSociety.net,
Joomla.org Forum , Community, Extensions Member!
I'm also Licensed JoomlArt Template Club Member, so as OpenSource Training and AkeebaBackup.com Proffesional Member.
You can find my tweets @mikacxs

I use Joomla! 1.5(.22) for a year now, on my domain FoodSociety.net
JoomlArt JA_Anion Template 1.2.4
which is now available for Joomla! 1.6 (v1.0.0 beta)
with almost all extensions and T3 Framework 2.0 (plugin v1.2.3) already available,
with stable version V1.2.0 for Joomla! 1.6!

I would like to give my contribution to the Joomla! Community by giving
my site to be a LIVE Test site for Joomla! 1.6 and JAT3 Framework 2.0 Platform!

What that means....

Joomla!1.6 Community and Official Joomla! Team can use my site to be an example for migration, from Joomla! 1.5.22 to Joomla! 1.6.0 , and live test site for whatever the best solution is, Official or jUpgrade (or combination).

I have Akeeba Backup Professional 3.2.b4-pro,
K2 v2.4.1
sh404SEF 2.1.9.787
PhocaGallery 2.7.6 (which has a v3.0.0_RC ready!)
among main Extensions installed on the domain FoodSociety.net. I have small number of users (which are ideal for ACL)
so as Serbian language version on foodsociety.org which is ideal for Joomla Language Manager and JoomFish Extension!
Extensions Developers which I have mentioned, can also get in touch with the Joomla! "Update"Team!

This could be great tutorial for avarage-advanced and brand new users of Joomla!

There are a lot of users that have "Migration" ahead of them, and even some that are going away from Joomla! beacuse of this.
Not to mention other CMS's with their "all new" versions!

So..

If anything of this is making sense for Joomla! please get in touch.
I'm very much prepared to have a test site environment on my domain!
You can connect with FoodSociety on Facebook http://facebook.com/foodsociety

Regards,

Milan Markovic
@mikacxs

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Re: Joomla! 1.6 Live Test Site!

Post by free-rebel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

... nice propaganda :pop
I m Rebel ...

mindwaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mindwaster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:19 pm

If I have understood correctly, you have successfully upgraded 1.5.22 site (.org) to 1.6 version (.net).
This is encouraging and promising, considering numerous topics about migration and upgrade, lack of documentation, communication etc.

Did you have some problems migrating your site, and what solution exactly you have used?
Cynic till the day I die
I will never cure my pride.

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi, that is it not 1.6 now
... He only asked in different style ;), if someone can migrate that site :pop
I m Rebel ...

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Hello,

No, I haven't migrated it. It is READY for migration, but for the reasons you have mentioned, it is still not. I have all the latest versions and plugins prepared.
But there is not official, nor 3rd party upgrade tool ready (jUpgrade is doing a great effort, but extensions are still a problem).

My site can be used for MIGRATION TESTING purposes!

So please Joomla! and jUpgrade feel free to test!

Greetings

mindwaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mindwaster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:07 am

I knew that I have missed something here, I haven't check your site carefully :-[

This has much more sense now, but it also really looks a bit like advertisement, although I'm pretty sure your intentions are true.

Good luck with migrating, I will wait for 1.6.1 version, hopefully not for too long ;)
Cynic till the day I die
I will never cure my pride.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:13 am

Advertisement for Joomla! Yes, exactly!

I am giving my site (which is about food and has nothing to do with Joomla!, has users, Facebook Likes and Twitter Followers) to be a test site for Joomla! 1.6!

It is all about TESTING now.

I'm just saying Test it on my domain FREE! as my contribution to the Joomla! Community.

Thank you.
Milan.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Is there anybody out there from Joomla! that want to even try and Upgrade a Joomla! 1.5.22 site to 1.6?

Is it really so hard?

This is one more downfall of using Joomla! Even if you try to participate all you get is some silly answer from a guy called rebel!? No offence, but this is just unacceptable.

I really like Joomla! and I won't to stick with it, but in the mean time I suddenly find myself with 2 more installed CMS's. There names you all know very well. One is in version 7 and the other is constantly updating version 3...+

So... If Joomla! doesn't want to test it, should I? And I did, on a localhost. It's better if I don't speak how that came out.

@mikacxs

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Nobody said it is not being tested. In fact, I am running jUpgrade on a backed up local copy of my site to help work out bugs, and have submitted a few patches and proposed a few ideas to help with migration. There are plenty of ways to test it without using a live site.

mikac
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mikac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Like I said couple of times, Testing is the only way to do it. Trial and Error!
But,

It is really hard to find some useful info these days around Joomla! Migration to 1.6..
Not much official, anyway.

Can you upgrade components with jUpgrade?

What about some more info on "plenty of ways to test"...
I tried on localhost...and the results are so bad, that like one other post said "Don't even try to Upgrade!"

So.. More Official Help and guide is needed. Not for 2 months, because Developers don't want to start new projects on Joomla! 1.5.22 and after 2 months go through Upgrade again! Now we needed. As for migration, so much is said...infect so little!

It was great talking about new features on WebMatrix but little said about BETA faze that Joomla! is in and how to help migrate.

Thanks

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 am

mikac wrote: This is one more downfall of using Joomla! Even if you try to participate all you get is some silly answer from a guy called rebel!? No offence, but this is just unacceptable.
silly is if you offer your site, that somebody can migrate it instead of you :D
Almost everybody here have few website live, few website on localhost where can test something, dont need to do your job :D
Everyone will test on own site, you can do it also, and then share your experiences, that is smart my smart friend :pop
I m Rebel ...

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 am

mikac wrote:What about some more info on "plenty of ways to test"...
I tried on localhost...and the results are so bad, that like one other post said "Don't even try to Upgrade!"
That's why we're testing on localhost. jUpgrade still has quite a few kinks to work out, including a way to not hard code your DB prefix (if it isn't 'jos_', you'll either need to change the code or your DB tables to migrate). Look at Matias' forum for jUpgrade; you'll see a lot of people testing and reporting issues and working to solve them (myself included).

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”