thinking about migrating from e107 7.xx to Joomla 1.6

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Liquid_Squelch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

thinking about migrating from e107 7.xx to Joomla 1.6

Post by Liquid_Squelch » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 am

I'm thinking it might be time to migrate my website with over 9,000 registered users from e107 to Joomla! 1.6.

I've been looking at Joomla for quiet some time, and I've been really happy with e107 since 2005. But - the e107 community has slowed down, and I see that the Joomla! community is still going strong. I'm not saying I see the writing on the wall, but I feel it may benefit my users and my site by moving it to Joomla.

I'm not a PHP wiz, but I can find my way around a SQL table. Since there isn't a utility to go from e107->Joomla, I feel if I dump my e107 tables into csv or text files, i should be able to import them into Joomla tables via phpmyadmin. Not pretty - but "doable".

Some things I need to make sure of before I start:
1- How well does Joomla play with phpbb 3.x ? I plan on migrating my e107 forums to phpbb3 if I migrate to the Joomla CMS platform. I assume it is excellent since the Joomla site is running phpbb as it's forum.
2- Does Joomla support hiding download locations behind php?
3- Is there an extension that will allow users to buy an upgraded user class. Example - premium membership via paypal purchase in a shopping cart?
4- Is there an extension to purchase mp3 files that I OWN ?
5- Does Joomla support / bridge to Gallery 2 (what about Gallery 3?)
6- Does Joomla have a User Credit / reward system in place? Ex: Forum post = 5 credits, chat post = 2 credits, Submitting a news article = 10 credits...

I don't expect to be able to make a move overnight. I understand this could take a few weeks of tweaking and moving accounts and files around if I make my move.

I see Joomla can talk to Mediawiki - that is a bonus for me as my wiki page isn't bridged with e107.

For anyone interested, the website I'm looking at migrating is: http://www.w2lie.net

Thanks for the feedback.

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: thinking about migrating from e107 7.xx to Joomla 1.6

Post by red2678 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi,

Some things I need to make sure of before I start:
1- How well does Joomla play with phpbb 3.x ? I plan on migrating my e107 forums to phpbb3 if I migrate to the Joomla CMS platform. I assume it is excellent since the Joomla site is running phpbb as it's forum.
A- There are a lot of bridges for 1.5. Not sure about 1.6. I am sure they will be out soon.

2- Does Joomla support hiding download locations behind php?
A - I had another guy ask me this. I have never had to do this. I am sure there is a way but do not know how (if someone does speak up). I know virtuemart and doc man support downloads.

3- Is there an extension that will allow users to buy an upgraded user class. Example - premium membership via paypal purchase in a shopping cart?
A - Of course there are many ACL extenstoins out there. And with Joomla 1.6 I am sure that there will be many to come.

4- Is there an extension to purchase mp3 files that I OWN ?
A – Virtuemart or Docman

5- Does Joomla support / bridge to Gallery 2 (what about Gallery 3?)
A – Yes http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... llery/4883

6- Does Joomla have a User Credit / reward system in place? Ex: Forum post = 5 credits, chat post = 2 credits, Submitting a news article = 10 credits...
A – That would be built-in to the phpbb forum, I do not think there is a Joomla component for that.

Hope that helps,

Red

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Re: thinking about migrating from e107 7.xx to Joomla 1.6

Post by free-rebel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:13 pm

red2678 wrote: 6- Does Joomla have a User Credit / reward system in place? Ex: Forum post = 5 credits, chat post = 2 credits, Submitting a news article = 10 credits...
A – That would be built-in to the phpbb forum, I do not think there is a Joomla component for that.

Hope that helps,

Red
for user credit system is here alphauserpoint, it is working with kunena forum extension also, with community builder , jomsocial with anything good I think, but probably not with phpBB, bc. phpBB with joomla are together with bridge, so its not like another extension, you can integrate some functionality with it ...
Check kunena forum here in extension, maybe that forum its also good for, bc. with that you can integrate all points what did you ask here ...
maybe with phpBB also, I m not sure, search here in forum, you will find answers ..
I m Rebel ...

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”