Manual migration to Joomla 1.6

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Linkito
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Manual migration to Joomla 1.6

Post by Linkito » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi!, I'm using Joomla 1.5 for 3 years with the website that I have today.

Took a long time waiting for Joomla 1.6 Stable, because what interests me most is the organization of categories and user management groups etc.

The problem is that with jUpgrade I have understood that only migrates Articles, Users, Modules & Banners. Therefore, I plan to install Joomla 1.6 on my local environment (using xampp) and manually migrate the items to the new organization of the categories, extensions etc etc.

Furthermore, I have managed to import the DB

I also plan to install in Local jUpgrade and see what I would update and as kneading the ground, perhaps it pays more to start from 0. On the other hand I thought, "starting from 0 I can also take advantage and leave the FTP clean from unnecessary files. "

I would like an opinion or advice on how to do it, because I have fear of losing the 1400 users, and overall indexing and ranking in Google, Alexa etc..

For the template no problem, since I have thought update while with J1.6 and significant extensions are compatible, but for the moment would have to make some sacrifice.

Greetings'

Original Post y Spanish!:

Muy buenas, soy usuario de Joomla 1.5 desde hace algo más de 3 años con la página web que llevo actualmente.

Llevo bastante tiempo a la espera de Joomla 1.6 Stable, ya que lo que más me interesa es la organización de categorías y administración de usuarios en grupos etc.

El problema es que, con jUpgrade tengo entendido que migra únicamente Artículos, Usuarios, Módulos y Banners. Por lo tanto, he pensado instalar Joomla 1.6 en mi entorno local (Usando Xampp) y migrar de manera manual los artículos para la nueva organización de las categorías, extensiones etc etc.

El primer problema que me encuentro, además de no saber por donde empezar, es que no consigo migrar de ninguna manera mi base de datos, la exporto desde MySQL e intento importarla en Local pero me da un gran fallo. Ya he conseguido la importanción de la BD

También he pensado instalar en Local jUpgrade y ver qué me actualizaría y como dejaría de amasado el terreno, quizás se costea más que empezar de 0. Por otro lado pensé "empezando de 0 también puedo aprovechar y dejar el FTP limpio de archivos innecesarios".

Me gustaría una opinión o consejo acerca de cómo hacerlo, ya que tengo miedo de perder los 1400 usuarios, y sobretodo la indexación y posición en Google, Alexa etc.

Por el template no hay problema, ya que tengo pensado actualizarlo a la vez que con J1.6 y las extensiones importantes son compatibles, aunque por el momento tendría que hacer algún sacrifico.

Saludos¡'¡

THANKS!!

karan.gadhavi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Manual migration to Joomla 1.6

Post by karan.gadhavi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Linkito ,

Well you need to take a care while migrating so i suggest below plan

- Setup latest version in local
- Migrate as much data as possible by system
- Migrate rest of data manually
- Install /migrate required extensions
- Work on template
- Make sure URLS are was as before if not use 303 redirect so you will not loose ranking

You can also outsource work to joomla developer to finish it. try gadhavitechnologies.com
http://www.gadhavitechnologies.com <------- Outsource your Joomla work
Hire Joomla Designer / Developer / SEO (Let me know if we can't use this)

Tam2000
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Manual migration to Joomla 1.6

Post by Tam2000 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to migrate my site, www.veethi.com that is in core PHP/MySQL platform. I have a reasonably big database and member login built in this site. Can all the members be migrated to the new login system? By doing so what are the potential issues that I need to be aware of.

Thanks

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”