Upgraded to 2.5 - now duplicate default templates listed

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
slewis1972
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Upgraded to 2.5 - now duplicate default templates listed

Post by slewis1972 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Just upgraded from 1.7,4 to 2.5

Now, in my templates, I have 2 entries for:

Hampton_Richmond_Theme - Default Site Hampton_richmond_theme 12
Hampton_Richmond_Theme - Default Site Hampton_richmond_theme 12

Cannot seem to delete them. Checked in template_styles table and only 1 entry.

Any ideas?
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Installation Joomla! 2.5 / Joomla! 1.7 to the forum Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5 / Joomla! 1.7

wlrdq
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Upgraded to 2.5 - now duplicate default templates liste

Post by wlrdq » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Did you make a backup copy of your template's folder in the templates directory? I know in 1.5 it just looks in that directory. I don't know if it changed in 2.5.

If you can't figure it out, let me know and I can create a 2.5 demo site on my server to try to figure it out.
Will Mavis - Joomla Developer
http://www.covertapps.com/jam <<< Joomla! on your Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
If you think I can help you, PM me a link to your post and I will respond. Please don't hijack another user's thread.

slewis1972
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by slewis1972 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:30 pm

OK, the template is a jat3 one.

Now, heres what I notice, say I back it up, zip it. Delete from server and remove from template table. I then reinstall, it creates the duplicates. If I rename it, it just creates one entry.
So, if I keep the same name, each time I install it, its like joomla knows the id tag of it, even though its not in the template directory table, and lists it for each time I have tried to install it, with the same id tag.

slewis1972
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by slewis1972 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Oh and just uploaded it to a 1,7 site, no issue. Only in 2.5 site. Just tested it with another site I upgraded, same issue. So its either something in the site thats causing it or something in a the template but cannot see what.

wlrdq
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by wlrdq » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

When you say you rename it, are you saying you just rename the zip before installing it? I think Joomla! pulls the info it needs out of the xml file that is included in the template. I know for extensions, if the extension already exists, it gives you an error unless the method="upgrade" attribute is included and then it overwrites the old one:

Code: Select all

<install type="component" version="1.5" method="upgrade">
You may have stumbled upon a bug. It may also be newly added functionality, but if they wanted to allow templates to be installed multiple times, it doesn't sound like it's working like I would expect.

And you are saying you tried the exact same steps with 1.7 and did not get the same results, correct?
Will Mavis - Joomla Developer
http://www.covertapps.com/jam <<< Joomla! on your Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
If you think I can help you, PM me a link to your post and I will respond. Please don't hijack another user's thread.

slewis1972
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by slewis1972 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Correct, edited the xml file.

Basically, replicated the same issue over 2 x 1.7 upgrades, both with ja templates. same issues.

Also, neither the JA templates can now have their settings changed, causing jsmin errors. Its not updating the config files and settings are not changing when you alter the templates. Already posted on ja forum. Others seem to have been ok, but as I have replicated it over 2 sites, looks like a bug.

The fact the sites duplicate templates name when upgrading, definately bug in 2.5. 1.7 seems to be ok.

spi-s
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by spi-s » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi, I had the same problem. If you log into the extensions manager, you will see the duplicate of the template. You wont be able to delete it from here as joomla won't let you. Just grab its ID number and then search through your tables and delete the duplicate. It will no longer be in the template list. Hope that helps.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 pm

A lot of the more complex Templates are struggling with 2.5. Contact the Templates author.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:24 pm

A more easier way most likely to solve the issue is to go to "extension Manager" > " Manage" select templates> checkbox the template involved and click "purge Cache"

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 pm

I have this same problem. In the template manager, the duplicate templates listed show the same id # in the far right column. I've looked at the following tables and there are no duplicate rows:

jos_template_styles
jos_extensions

Which table holds the duplicate template info that is being displayed by the template manager?

Thanks. -- Rik

PS: Currently using Joomla 2.5.8. Also, unsuccessfully tried leolam's purge suggestion in the message just above mine.

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rik Brown » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 pm

As a test, I just duplicated a single template in the template manager. Unfortunately, it creates TWO duplicates. And when I select just ONE of the duplicates to delete, both are deleted (which I guess isn't strange since they both had the same ID#).

I also note that whichever template is selected as the default for either the frontend or the backend, that template only shows once. If deselected, that template again shows twice in the template manager.

Since there are no duplicate rows in the two above mentioned tables, this appears to be a programming error relating to displaying the information rather than its storage in the database tables.

I'm currently using Joomla 2.5.8 but I believe that this problem has been around since my upgrade to 2.5.0.

ChubbyNinja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ChubbyNinja » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 am

I know this thread is old, but I found it in a google search quite high up so I thought it worth posting how i fixed this -

I had this same issue of duplicate template, I had to go

Extensions > Extension Manager > Discover

One instance of my template was there, so I clicked the Discover Button and it was gone - so Joomla must of been caching the template instance.

Rik Brown
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Upgraded to 2.5 - now duplicate default templates listed

Post by Rik Brown » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:52 am

Just in case anyone else is still having this problem, I have to say that it still exists for me and I'm currently all the way up to Joomla 3.6.4 (2016) and this issue never has gone away! It doesn't seem to cause any problems but I'd sure like it to go away....

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”