Convert Mambo to Joomla 2.5.x

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Gene Steinberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Convert Mambo to Joomla 2.5.x

Post by Gene Steinberg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:56 pm

I searched this but couldn't isolate a specific thread that covers this issue as phrased here, nor did I locate a proper conversion tool on this site. Maybe I missed something (feel free to show me the proper thread or instructions), but here's the deal.

I have a colleague with a site built with old versions of Mambo, version 4.6.2, and an online shopping area made with VirtueMart 1.0.10.

The designer of that site is long ago and far away.

I have set up a "staging" folder with the latest Joomla and VirtueMart.

Is there a painless or slightly painful way to migrate the content to your system.

Please advise.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg

cmbay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Convert Mambo to Joomla 2.5.x

Post by cmbay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Gene Steinberg wrote:I have a colleague with a site built with old versions of Mambo, version 4.6.2, and an online shopping area made with VirtueMart 1.0.10.
Oh, my!
Is there a painless or slightly painful way to migrate the content to your system.
Painless? No. Even the http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_and_Migrating_Joomla page doesn't go back that far.

If it were my job, I would treat the old site as if it wasn't related to Joomla. See http://docs.joomla.org/Converting_an_ex ... a!_website.

I hope you find an easier way.
Charles

Gene Steinberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gene Steinberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm

I hope we do find an easier way. There's a lot of content on that site, plus a preconfigured shopping area. I presume VirtueMart isn't an issue, but the rest of the stuff would surely be a pain and a half if we couldn't convert. One solution I've heard is to go to Joomla 1.5.x, using that Export add-on in Mambo to create a file that can be read by the older Jooma. Then going to the latest Joomla and migrating yet again. Doable? Does that lose anything? Anyone?

Peace,
Gene

cmbay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cmbay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:44 pm

If you can get it to 1.5.25 then follow the directions at http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_J ... Joomla_2.5. You'll probably also have to modify the template and upgrade the extensions.

Get everything working on 1.5.25 before you move on.
Charles

Gene Steinberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gene Steinberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Honestly, I'm probably going to have to find a volunteer to help take us through this. The site we're converting is a one-person operation that generates some cash in terms of book and DVD orders, but we need to bring everything over in pretty stable form. It's unfortunate that he's stuck with a 5-year-old CMS.

Peace,
Gene

cmbay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cmbay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Yes, and you may want to leave it at 1.5.25 for a few months, if not longer. I've been moving sites from 1.5 to 2.5 in the last few weeks. There are some that can't move yet. The needed extensions are not available in 2.5.
Charles

Gene Steinberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gene Steinberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Well, as I said, if I can find some help.

Peace,
Gene

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

Gene Steinberg wrote:Well, as I said, if I can find some help.
Gene
For such migration you need professional support sice it is higly delicate:
1) Migrate Mambo and VM to Joomla 1.5
2) Migrate VM to VM 1.9 version on Joomla 1.5
3) Migrate Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5
4) Migrate VM to Hika shop or Ayel Shop/Aceshop on Joomla 1.5 first (VM will take some time to be acompatible with 2.5 it seems..took them 3/4 year to get compatible to Joomla 1.7) > easy both have a full migration single click option to move all over from VM!
5) Move chosen package from 1.5 to 2.5 (is just a move they both work on 1.5 as well on 2.5

This is not a simple job but requires time and effort and a lot of knowledge. You might want to contact a professional through the professional support forum ;-) These kind of migrations won't be cheap though

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:32 am

Just noticed yesterday, that VM does have support for J2.5. http://virtuemart.net/news/list-all-new ... 202-is-out

Gene Steinberg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gene Steinberg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm

This doesn't sound doable, since we don't have a budget for all that. :(

Peace,
Gene

teapotbag
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teapotbag » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Oh boy. It's such a shame I found this a whole year too late... I accidentally bumped into this thread just now while googling for something else...

Well I figure right now that I should reply anyway because maybe someone in the future may find it useful.

I migrated a mambo site to joomla a few years ago. There was a component called "Export content", which has since been removed from joomla extensions, but you can still find it here (for now):
http://www.bestdownloadsites.com/joomla/export-content
(if that gets removed too in the future, you can pm me, I still have it and I don't throw anything away ;) )

The procedure in short - I made a fresh install of Joomla 1.5 in a sub-directory. I installed the "export content" extension there and I also installed it in mambo (there are separate versions of it for both systems). Then I exported the content from mambo (in a zip file) and imported it into joomla using this extension.

When I had all the content in, I proceeded with the upgrades to the latest version of joomla using jupgrade. When joomla was finally up-to-date, I made a new template for it and added all the other features (modules, extensions etc) that were missing.

Worth noting - this tool only moves articles, with their corresponding sections and categories, and static content (uncategorised) articles. It doesn't move modules, user accounts and other data, for example from extensions. So some things you still need to copy manually.

It's quite a lot of work overall, it's about as much work as making a whole fresh site from scratch, maybe even more. But it's good to know isn't impossible.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”