Migrating from mambo 4.6.X to joomla 2.5

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bethosuch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Migrating from mambo 4.6.X to joomla 2.5

Post by bethosuch » Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Hello there!
Yes, I am late.. I have to migrate 2 sites to joomla 2.5. Fortunaly, they dont have any extra components or modules installed.

I did a search in this forum and all threads I saw are old and mainly about migrate to joomla 1.0, so I wonder if there are newer docs around explaining how to migrate directly to 2.5.

Any help will be very apreciated!

Thank you very much in advance!

Beth

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Migrating from mambo 4.6.X to joomla 2.5

Post by RussW » Sun May 13, 2012 1:40 pm

As you said Beth, hmmm, yeah, sort of a little late in to the game here, but ....

The structure of Joomla! has changed dramatically over the years since it's Mambo connection and they really have little, if anything in common anymore, especially at J!2.5, so there wouldn't be any direct upgrade path for you.

I guess, there would be two options available for you...

1) upgrade from Mambo > J!1.0 > J!1.5 > J!1.7 > J!2.5
2) Build new J!2.5 sites from scratch and manually copy any content across.

Issues you will face with option one, are; extension support, template support, content/database structure support, long drawn out and difficult process.

Issues with option two are; if there is a lot of content to manually copy, finding similar templates (if needed) but in the long run, rebuilding from scratch may just work out to be simpler, less error prone and more timely. I feel , without knowing the sites, that would probably be my top choice in this case.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

bethosuch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bethosuch » Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply, RussW :-)

In fact, one of my sites have, today, over 10.000 articles, classified in several sections/categories, most of them with statiscal hits over the years.

My *.sql is 100 megas big. I wonder if its possible replace joomla table content by mambo one. I mean Joomla 2.5.

I agree, your 2nd option seems to be more practic and less painful...

regards,

Beth

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Hey Beth,

you would need to look in to my suggestion further, I have not done this myself and have not looked in the JED or Googled to find anything, but....

It might be possible to find a Mambo extension that exports the Mambo content only, probably best to a CSV file or maybe even XML and then install a J!2.5 instance and find a Joomla! extension that can import that CSV/XML content in to the new installation.

Alternatively, if you are good with SQL, you might be able to write a small SQL routine to do the export from Mambo, and then use a J! extension to import that, but I think there will still need to be some manual modification of the export data, due to the difference in the "article" table structures now. J!2.5 no-longer uses Categories and Sections, it only uses categories and sub-categories with different table fields and the new ACL's.

I just did a quick search on the JED and found a couple of extensions that state they export from Mambo and import in to J!1.0 and J!1.5 ( http://extensions.joomla.org/search?q=export+content ) so another option might be use this extension to export from Mambo to J!1.5, then migrate from J!1.5 to J!1.7 and then upgrade to J!2.5, still a little arduous, but skips the J!1.0 step.

You will still need to find new template and extension versions you need that support J!2.5 though and a little administration to layout menu's and module positions will be required.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

bethosuch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bethosuch » Sun May 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Hello RussW :-)

Thank you a lot for your care and attention!

I am not good with sql.

I will do a test with this export extension, let's see how things work. Maybe I will start with my smaller site before try on the big one. Anyway, I will let you know what happened.:-)

Again, thank you very much!!

regards,

Beth

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am

bethosuch wrote:
I will do a test with this export extension, let's see how things work. Maybe I will start with my smaller site before try on the big one.
You would probably be better off still trying it out on a copy of your site on a localhost server. Whatever else you do make sure you create backups first and foremost.

bethosuch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bethosuch » Mon May 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks for the tip.:-)

Yeah, I will create a new folder "test" to do it.

For now, I would like to know if this extension will MOVE all contens or simply export keeping my actual site as it is...

Scary to loose it.. even the smaller one

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”