Upgrading 1.5.9 to 2.5.7

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Upgrading 1.5.9 to 2.5.7

Post by ingeva » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm trying to upgrade/migrate a site from 1.5 to 2.5.7.
Everything I find states that I must upgrade to 1.7 first, but I can find no such upgrade.
Is there one, or is there another way?
The site does not work with 1.7 and the present database.
I have tried an upgrade from http://redcomponent.com/redcomponent/jupgrade, but after the upgrade the version is still reported as 1.5.9.

Also, it seems that there's a php issue. The old server has php 5.2.17 and reports no errors. My local server, where I want to upgrade for testing, has 5.3.10 and reports a lot.

The old site has an extension, phocagallery. Can the upgrade be performed with this extension present?

vivec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Upgrading 1.5.9 to 2.5.7

Post by vivec » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:20 pm

nonsense!

follow these steps:
http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_J ... Joomla_2.5

works like a charm!

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 pm

vivec wrote:nonsense!

follow these steps:
http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_J ... Joomla_2.5

works like a charm!
I have read and followed the instructions there, but they are not helpful. I am still stuck, and that's why I'm asking this question. If you can help, please don't say I'm writing nonsense.

vivec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by vivec » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:13 pm

so you do all the steps, and the jupgrade-component tells you everything was updated?

You ARE looking in http://www.yourwebsite.com/jupgrade/ right ?!

flyerdave
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flyerdave » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi

What version of 1.5 were you running before upgrade?

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm

flyerdave wrote:Hi

What version of 1.5 were you running before upgrade?
The version was 1.5.9 before and 1.5.9 after. So nothing happened, really.

I have tried to start with a new 2.5.7 site and loaded the database from the 1.5.9 installation, but of course that won't work.

Not too long ago I upgraded another Joomla installation from 1.7, which succeeded on the first attempt. However, I can find no upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7 any more. If I could, that would probably be a better starting point.

EDIT:
I did the same procedure again, and got the same result. However, this time I went to the Module Manager, which gave me the following message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /xxxxxxx/nvk-site/administrator/modules/mod_submenu/mod_submenu.php on line 118

It also indicated that Mootools was missing. I went to the plugin manager to install it, and got a page full of php errors.
Last edited by ingeva on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 pm

vivec wrote:You ARE looking in http://www.yourwebsite.com/jupgrade/ right ?!
I looked there and found nothing useful.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:49 pm

ingeva wrote:
vivec wrote:You ARE looking in http://www.yourwebsite.com/jupgrade/ right ?!
I looked there and found nothing useful.
Hey!
I realize that I misunderstood this question.
In my own site there's no "jupgrade" folder.
Also, in the upgrade file that I downloaded, there's no "jupgrade" folder.

The file "com_jupgrade-2.5.2.zip" contains:
One folder, com_jupgrade, which contains:
Folder admin
Folder site
File .jupgrade.xml.swp
File CHANGELOG
file jupgrade.xml

Is this correct, and how do I use it when install doesn't do the trick?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:25 pm

1. Update to version 1.5.26

2. Install the Jupgrade extension using the Joomla Installer

3. Run Jupgrade (Components->Jupgrade)

This will migrate your site to the jupgrade folder.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:3. Run Jupgrade (Components->Jupgrade)

This will migrate your site to the jupgrade folder.
Well, no one told me this before! :)
The directions just said "Run the upgrade", but I had no idea how.
I don't use Joomla much, because I normally need more dynamics.

Anyway, I have 1.5.9 and no way to downgrade so I guess I'll take the chance! :)
It's running now, but it takes very long to finish ...

No, that was a copy, stating version 1.5.20, and it never finished.
I restored the database just to be safe, and tried a copy of the original again, 1.5.9.
Clicked "Start Upgrade" and nothing happens. Nothing at all.

Could there be some discrepancy caused by different php versions? I have 5.3.10 which makes the original site (a copy) report some errors in a callback handler. The current site (on the net) is running php 5.2.17 and reports no such errors.
Last edited by ingeva on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:13 pm

jupgrade will not run on 1.5.9, use the 1.5.0->1.5.26 patch package

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:jupgrade will not run on 1.5.9, use the 1.5.0->1.5.26 patch package
OK, so where do I find it?
Nothing from before 2.5 seems to be available at joomla.org ...

OOOPS! Found it!
Should have removed this post instead of editing. Couldn't find how.

OK. I posted this more than two hours ago. It's still checking and cleaning.
It's not supposed to take that long, is it? (I'm using a relatively fast computer)

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 am

ingeva wrote:OK. I posted this more than two hours ago. It's still checking and cleaning.
It's not supposed to take that long, is it? (I'm using a relatively fast computer)
I got it working after the update to 1.5.26, but after more than 4 hours without any news I stopped the upgrade process. Obviously it did nothing but corrupt the database.

Now I wonder if I have to do something about a couple of plugins, jforms and phocagallery. I tried to remove them, but then I couldn't get access to the site, neither as user or administrator.

Advice?

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:22 am

ingeva wrote:Now I wonder if I have to do something about a couple of plugins, jforms and phocagallery.
There was another site that I built about 3 years ago, and hadn't been updated.
I did as advised, by first upgrading the site to 1.5.26, then install and run jupgrade.
This site had no extra plugins, but I had to activate Mootools before the upgrade.

The same thing happened: Nothing.
While the jupgrade seemed to be busy (showing an animated column in the "cleaning and checking" window) the menus were active and responding.

I upgraded another site from 1.6 earlier. I can't remember that there was any kind of trouble with that. If someone has a 1.5 to 1.6/7 upgrade package, I'll be grateful to have it sent to me. Maybe that will be a better starting point.

I don't have to say what I think about all this. Although the site I'm working on is quite large, having been built through many years, I'm actually considering rebuilding it from scratch. That will take weeks. I thought the job would take an hour or two .... :(

Oh well. Before I do that I'll seriously consider another CMS.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:42 pm

jUpgrade does not touch the original Joomla installation. If the database get corrupted, there is something wrong with your server.

It installs 2.5 in the jupgrade folder and with a different database prefix. Do you have a working Joomla 2.5 there?

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:jUpgrade does not touch the original Joomla installation. If the database get corrupted, there is something wrong with your server.

It installs 2.5 in the jupgrade folder and with a different database prefix. Do you have a working Joomla 2.5 there?
Well, first I'll tell you what has happened since last time.

I backed up the online site and did the upgrade there. That produced the expected result, and I actually got a jupgrade folder. The site even worked! Headings and menus weren't right but I expected that.
So far so good. Of course, the question why it won't work on my local server remains.
I'm running Linux Mint 13 (MATE 64-bit) with php 5.3.10.

Now there are two new problems: I can't install the Norwegian language pack. On the online site there's no "Install Language" button. On the local site (I downloaded it and updated the database) there is, but it produces php errors and a message that I don't have the necessary privileges. I guess that's caused by the php error.
The other problem is that a couple of modules and articles are checked out and I'm not allowed access to them. They were not checked out on the original site.
So what to do now?
I would like to get in touch with you to take advantage of your knowledge, but I've been reluctant to ask. If it's OK for you I'll give you my personal contact information.
Thanks!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:31 pm

The "Install Language" button is a new feature in 2.5.7
It has only Norwegian Nynorsk listed.

The Norwegian bokmål package is here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jtrans ... e_id=17458

Use the extension installer to install it (Extensions->Install)

Use the Forum Post Assistant (link above) so we can check your server setup.

You can PM me an admin login, and I will take a look.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:The "Install Language" button is a new feature in 2.5.7
It has only Norwegian Nynorsk listed.

The Norwegian bokmål package is here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jtrans ... e_id=17458

Use the extension installer to install it (Extensions->Install)
OK. There's no such menu. The entries under Extensions are:
Module Manager
Plug-in Manager
Template Manager
Language Manager

Also, under Language Manager there's no install button on the web site, and on the local copy there is, but using it generates a serious php error.
Use the Forum Post Assistant (link above) so we can check your server setup.
Not found.

I'll PM you the details.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:I'll PM you the details.
Thank you very much for your help!
Doing the upgrade on the web server did the thing. It just wouldn't work with my local server. There was no indication of something missing - and there shouldn't be.

The test site is now running nicely with 2.5.7, also on my local server. I'm still struggling with a few deatils, but that's not about the installation so I'll ask about those elsewhere.

drewby07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drewby07 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I am having issues with this as well. I have a joomla site that was in version 1.5.24. I manually applied the patch to upgrade to 1.5.26, and tried to install jUpgrade. I downloaded the jUpgrade .zip file today, so it's a fresh copy. When I go to install via the Joomla installer, I keep getting the "Unable to find install package" message. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

drewby07 wrote:Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I don't know what you may have done, but I had to enable the Mootools Upgrade
plugin (or extension :) ) before I could execute jUpgrade.
For me this didn't work on the local site, so I had to create an extra site and database on the web server first, so I would be sure to not do a fatal mistake.
Atfer I had done the upgrade on the web server, I could download everything to my local server and proceed from there - a much better way to experiment.

After upgrading there are some remaining issues because extensions must also be upgraded, and some of the old ones may not be compatible with newer versions, or will never be - which is why I'm reluctant to install extensions at all.

drewby07
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drewby07 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah I am actually working with a backup copy of the site on a subdirectory of another site as a test. I wonder if this is the reason for my issues...

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm

drewby07 wrote:Yeah I am actually working with a backup copy of the site on a subdirectory of another site as a test. I wonder if this is the reason for my issues...
I don't know, but if you are using an alternate file set AND an alternate database, make sure you change the database name in the "configuration.php" file in the root folder of the site.

mediamaxx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mediamaxx » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 pm

I am way behind with my joomla version at 1.5.9 and like to bring it up to the most current stable version. I this possible and what steps make the most sense? Additional version upgrades needed? Any one out there you can refer me to do this for a fee?

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 pm

mediamaxx wrote:I am way behind with my joomla version at 1.5.9 and like to bring it up to the most current stable version. I this possible and what steps make the most sense? Additional version upgrades needed? Any one out there you can refer me to do this for a fee?
If it's not a HUGE board, and maybe even then, I would install a brand new 3.3.6 system and copy over all the articles (that needed to be kept), menues and images.
Images can be kept in an identical directory structure.
There are differences that may need to be transported, for instance the template will probably need to be re-written. I have based all my Joomla systems on the same template, Beez3, which is a standard Joomla template, but instead of modifying it I have added a new css file called image.css, because it will be included automatically without making any other changes, and it will (hopefully) not be overwritten by new updates.
Of course, for different sites the image.css file is also different, although there are many similarities.
I wrote a php script to extract all the articles from the old site so I could easily modify them and copy them over. I also used scripts to do some global editing in order to modernize the html, removing all inline styling etc. This must be done individually for the changes to be made. Beware of side effects (too much editing).

The advantage of doing it this way is that you learn all new things for 3.3.6 in the process, without having to go through all the intermediate stuff. I have upgraded all my Joomla sites to 3.3.6 now, and it sure makes life a lot easier.

I have made the DumpArticles script ready for download at
http://qreply.net/DumpArticles.zip . If is run from the command line, and the script must be placed in the directory of the configuration.php file - which must also be the working directory. It should work for all Joomla! databases from 1.5 and up. Articles will be placed in a subdirectlory called Articles. If it doesn't exist it will be created. The articles will have the alias names to avoid illegal characters and overwriting duplicates.

Doing it this way requires a lot of work, but I think it also helps to avoid a lot of hassle. When the 3,5 version is ready there should be a more automatic upgrade part, but for now I think this is a good method, and the best thing is that you'll learn a lot. :)
Good luck!

mediamaxx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mediamaxx » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for the valuable insight. Sounds like waiting on 3.5 would make sense for now. I am working with the lastest new Joomla version now with a new sight.

ingeva
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ingeva » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02 pm

mediamaxx wrote:Thanks for the valuable insight. Sounds like waiting on 3.5 would make sense for now. I am working with the lastest new Joomla version now with a new sight.
Version 3.5 has been a long time coming. Of course it's up to you if you want to wait, and you may have a more comfortable upgrade path if you do. However, with all the changes that have happened from 1.5.9 to today's 3.3.x, you may still have some work to do. I don't know what template you used, but if it's still available in a 3.x version, consider yourself lucky. I found out that the easiest way to upgrade is to use a "standard" template and make your own variation from that. Adding your own, special css file should be fairly easy if you have good knowlegde of css.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”