JError not found in framework.php... Need help!

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
milkyslims
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

JError not found in framework.php... Need help!

Post by milkyslims » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 pm

You guys are my last resort... PLEASE HELP!!! :(

So, here's what happened:

Didn't touch anything on my site for months, and all of a sudden, the homepage would still work, but any link you clicked on it would give a 404 error... I fixed this by changing the "Use URL rewriting" setting under Global Config--SEO Settings from "yes" to "no." While doing this in the Joomla backend, I saw there was a Joomla update. Thus, I went ahead and did that, which took me from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8. Everything was working fine, and then a day later, when you go to the homepage, all you get is a white screen with this:

Fatal error: Class 'JError' not found in /home/content/08/9187208/html/includes/framework.php on line 42

And when you try to access the admin backend, something similar:

Fatal error: Class 'JError' not found in /home/content/08/9187208/html/administrator/includes/framework.php on line 35

Hosting is on GoDaddy. After many hours of internet searching for people with similar problems, and not finding any, I called GoDaddy. They told something went wrong because I updated Joomla within itself(via the control panel) instead of updating through their backend... IOW, their backend wasn't "in sync" with what was on the site, and still thought the install was at 2.5.7. Thus, their suggestion to fix it was to back up the DB, back up Joomla, uninstall Joomla through their backend, reinstall Joomla through their backend, re-upload the Joomla files I backed up earlier, and then restore the DB...

Well, I did that 3 times, and every time I just ended up right back where I started. I'm seriously at the end of my rope here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very kindly.

Cheers,
~m.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: JError not found in framework.php... Need help!

Post by humvee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 pm

[Mod note: Moved from Installation Forum to Upgrade Forum; ]
To help you, in the future, find the correct forum for your topic please read the Which forum to post your question that I have put together.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

It would appear that the Upgrade process was not completed correctly or was in some way corrupted. Therefore you can reinstall the full package to rectify any omissions.
  1. Backup
    • In the unfortunate event that you have not already done so, backup your site and database now.
  2. Manual Re-installation of Joomla
    1. Download Joomla
    2. Extract the archive
      1. Extract this archive locally on your PC using an archive manager.
        • If on Windows do not use M$ own archive manager - download and install 7-Zip.
        • Do not use M$ Explorer's Copy and Paste or Move options to move the extracted files around either.
      2. Delete the installation/ directory !!Important
    3. Upload the files to the host server
      1. Using your FTP client to upload the files to the host joomla_root/ directory (where Joomla files and directories will be located).
        • Again if you are on Windows do not use M$ own software - download and install either WinSCP or FileZilla.
      2. Ensure the Default Transfer File Type is set to Binary in the Options/Parameters of the client.
      3. CLICK Upload
        • The files must overwrite those in the current joomla_root/ whilst maintaining the same file hierarchy. !!Important
    4. Access the Joomla Administrator Backend
      • Try to access to the site once more.
        • If successful proceed to Completing the Update
        • If not successful report back here with precise details.
    5. Completing the Update
      1. Go to Extensions ⇒ Extension Manager ⇒ Discover tab
        1. CLICK Discover
          • This will show any new extensions that are now available
          • It will also show any old, deprecated one's, particularly if the site was updated from 1.6.x, that have not previously been removed properly. So be aware.
        2. SELECT all the new Extensions only
        3. CLICK Install.
      2. Go to Extensions ⇒ Extension Manager ⇒ Database tab.
        • CLICK Fix
      3. Go to Extensions ⇒ Extension Manager ⇒ Discover tab
        • CLICK Purge Cache
  3. Site Review
    Now check your site and backend and all the features both existing and new to make sure they are working.
    • If all the checks are completed successfully
    • Create a fresh Back up of your site and database.
    • If not report back with any issues.
  4. Backup
    • Create a fresh backup of the site and database and keep this safe so that you have a clean position to return to at this point.
    • Remember to always backup your site before doing any updates, Extension installations, or making any changes that could corrupt your site. If you don't know what the outcome of your actions might be then BACKUP.

milkyslims
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by milkyslims » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm

humvee, I can't thank you enough. I followed the steps, and now the site is up and working again! Seriously... I was literally about to EAT my computer in frustration... thanks very kindly for your quick and helpful reply!!

Also, my apologies for not posting in the correct section--I looked carefully, but must have just missed that most obvious of places this should have gone. Again, thanks so much!!

Cheers,
~m.

Mahoro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mahoro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

I followed these instructions. However after uploading the files to the server this is the message I get when I try to access the administration back end.

"jtablesession::store failed
DB function failed with error number 1054
Unknown column 'gid' in 'field list' SQL=INSERT INTO `tixde_session` ( `session_id`,`time`,`username`,`gid`,`guest`,`client_id` ) VALUES ( '2b70b68f329dd7b4d16d42cf7255aeec','1373398395','','0','1','1' )"

What's the solution?

stAn_rupostel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stAn_rupostel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am

Hello friends, we came around this issue recenlty by debugging a Virtuemart 2 eshop. This is what we found:

Joomla loads the JError with spl_autoload_register

this function however can get disabled (doesn't do what is should do) when running php with an unspecific core modules such as
This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2013 Zend Technologies
with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.4.1, Copyright (c) 2002-2013, by ionCube Ltd., and
with SourceGuardian v9.0, Copyright (c) 2000-2012, by Inovica Ltd.
with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies
with Suhosin v0.9.34-dev, Copyright (c) 2007-2012, by SektionEins GmbH
(further config unknown)

This issue occured on an encoded url such as:
/2013/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&nosef=1&view=cart&task=addJS&format=json&lang=en&quantity%3D1%26quantity%255B%255D%3D1%26view%3Dcart%26virtuemart_product_id%255B%255D%3D5%26option%3Dcom_virtuemart&_=1379612157985

but didn't happen on decoded url such as:
/2013/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&nosef=1&view=cart&task=addJS&format=json&lang=en&quantity=1&quantity[]=1&view=cart&virtuemart_product_id[]=5&option=com_virtuemart&_=1379612157985

So we think that the problem is caused by some of the core php modules (maybe suhosin) blocks the auto loader function if it finds a suspicion code within URL.

Our recommendations for devs are
- use rather POST then GET with exactly specified value pairs
- do not double url encode the values when it is not needed

Best Regards,
Stan, RuposTel.com

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”