Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
anettles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am

Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by anettles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:10 am

I've installed an Akeeba backup of a client's Joomla 2.5.28 site on a fresh Win7 Pro + XAMPP box. I'm trying to update the site to 3.5.1 (ultimately to 3.6.2). Attempting the "one-click" update results in the message:

"Download of the update package fails"

I tried both "write file directly" and "Write files using FTP" for the Installation method with the same results.

I then tried to install the update as an extension through Extension Manager/Install. I tried all three methods (Upload Package File, Install from Directory, & Install from URL) but each attempt gave the error:

"jInstaller::Install: Cannot find XML setup file"

Inspecting the .zip file reveals no .XML file in it.

I followed the instructions in "Joomla 2.5 to 3.x Step by Step Migration".

Folder permissions on the htdocs folder (including children) is Everyone: full control

There are no Read-Only folders in or under htdocs

There are a number of extensions on the site. The client is having the same issue running this site on their Windows Server 2008 / IIS platform.

I've read a number or posts in this and other forums but there the recommendations have not worked.

Anyone have suggestions?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 37142
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:43 am

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

anettles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by anettles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:34 am

Thanks for the reply, Webdongle. The page you referenced states:

"This script assumes that you have manually extracted the update package over your site and are ready to finish the update. "

I have the update package .zip file. Where do I extract it to?


=======================================

anettles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by anettles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:47 am

UPDATE

I tried installing a fresh Joomla 2.5.28 site to my server and immediately upgrading it to 3.5.1. Both the Joomla Update module and the Extension Manager: Install methods yielded the same results as the client's site.

The client's web server and mine are both running on a Windows platform (7 Pro for me, Server 2008 or 2012 for the client).

So, I installed a clean Joomla 2.5.28 site on an internet hosting service I use (running on Linux) . Updating with the Joomla Update module worked flawlessly.

My client serves their sites from their own server farm all running on Windows. The question now is, why will a clean J 2.5.28 install update properly on Linux but not Windows?

apsilva
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by apsilva » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:02 am

I think the issue you are facing is this one https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/12817

anettles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by anettles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:40 am

Hmmm. I'm no expert on the internals of the Joomla core but this reads like they're making changes to the update process for an upcoming version. How does this relate to our current version 2.5.28 not being able to download core updates on a windows server?

apsilva wrote:I think the issue you are facing is this one https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/12817

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 37142
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:58 am

anettles wrote:Thanks for the reply, Webdongle. The page you referenced states:

"This script assumes that you have manually extracted the update package over your site and are ready to finish the update. "

I have the update package .zip file. Where do I extract it to?

...
Umm you try extracting it to a friends computer or to your television set but best extract it to you site. It does tell you on that page
This script assumes that you have manually extracted the update package over your site and are ready to finish the update. You should trigger this script immediately after this process and before logging into your site's admin to do anything else, including the "database fix" routine.
(have emboldened it for you).
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

anettles
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by anettles » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:28 am

Webdongle wrote:
anettles wrote:Thanks for the reply, Webdongle. The page you referenced states:

"This script assumes that you have manually extracted the update package over your site and are ready to finish the update. "

I have the update package .zip file. Where do I extract it to?

...
Umm you try extracting it to a friends computer or to your television set but best extract it to you site. It does tell you on that page
This script assumes that you have manually extracted the update package over your site and are ready to finish the update. You should trigger this script immediately after this process and before logging into your site's admin to do anything else, including the "database fix" routine.
(have emboldened it for you).
Yes, the part in bold type is the pertinent issue. Does "over top of your site' mean in the Joomla root?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 37142
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Updating 2.5.28 to 3.5.1 - Download of update package failed

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 am

anettles wrote:...

Yes, the part in bold type is the pertinent issue. Does "over top of your site' mean in the Joomla root?
Yes ... either unzip the update package on your PC and line the folders up in an ftp client. Or upload the update zip package to your Joomla root (where the configuration.php is) and unzip there
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein


Locked

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”