"Component Install: DB function reports no errors" "Error...

For Joomla! 2.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
Note: All 1.6, 1.7 and 3.5 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 3.x.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.
carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

"Component Install: DB function reports no errors" "Error...

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 pm

"Component Install: DB function reports no errors"
"Error installing component"

When I REINSTALL my component.

When on a fresh install of 1.6, it installs without any problem and uninstalls. Just when i reinstall it, it gives these errors and will not install at all. It just inserts a row in 'extensions' and inserts menuitems for the admin-menu in 'menu', but no files are installed.

When I take the new rows out and try again, same error.

I deleted the rows again and exported the database. I searched for traces of the component, but found nothing. The database seems exactly the same as before. When I copy-paste a fresh database, it installs again, without a problem.

No errors in the PHP error log.

GOING NUTS over this!!! :(

My other components just install and uninstall and update etc. time and time again, without any problem. Just this one extension.
Last edited by carsten888 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.pages-and-items.com my extensions:
User-Private-Page, Redirect-on-Login, Admin-Help-Pages, Dynamic-Menu-Links, Admin-Menu-Manager, plugin load module in article, plugin pure css tooltip and more...

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: "Component Install: DB function reports no errors" "Erro

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:31 pm

for anyone to have a look, I attached the file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User-Private-Page, Redirect-on-Login, Admin-Help-Pages, Dynamic-Menu-Links, Admin-Menu-Manager, plugin load module in article, plugin pure css tooltip and more...

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

I compared the clean database with the database after uninstall and found one row stays in the table 'assets'. If I take that row out after the uninstall (and the rows in 'menu' and 'extension'), it installs again without a problem.

When uninstalling any other of my components, the row in 'assets' and other tables get cleaned up properly, just not for that one component. ???

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I cleaned up my uninstall script and now the rows in 'menu' and 'extension' are cleaned up, but still not that one in 'assets'.

Maybe I should add code to clean up that row in the scriptfile on uninstall ;)

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Maybe I should add code to clean up that row in the scriptfile on uninstall
I was joking. But after many tests, that seemed about the only option. It seems that the on uninstall function does not get called or so, anyway, that is not working.

What is wokring, is the preflight function, so now I first check if that silly row is still there, if so, delete it before install.

Code: Select all

function preflight($type, $parent){
		$database = JFactory::getDBO();	

//if there is a leftover of a previous install, take it out.
		//http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=578&t=594153
		$database->setQuery("DELETE FROM #__assets WHERE name='com_redirectonlogin' AND title='com_redirectonlogin' LIMIT 1");
		$database->query(); 
	} 
I will add the code to the distributions right after I get some food in me :)

conclusion:
for some odd reason the uninstaller is not clearing a row in the 'assets' table.

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm

in the attachment the current version. After uninstall there is still a row in 'assets'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshotsean
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by slingshotsean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 pm

I am experiencing the same issue when attempting to install / uninstall AdminTools.

Error when installing an extension;

* Component Install: DB function reports no errors

* Error installing component

Error message when uninstalling an extension;

* JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/administrator/components/com_admintools
* JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file
* JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/administrator/components/com_admintools
* JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/administrator/components/com_admintools
* JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/components/com_admintools
* Component Uninstall: Can't uninstall. Please remove manually
* JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/administrator/components/com_admintools
* JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/unilever/public_html/demo2/components/com_admintools
* Could not delete the administrator menus.

I have removed the admintools tables from the database, and removed the files and folders via FTP but the error persists.

Is this a bug with Joomla! 1.6.0 ?
Sean Grant, Slingshot Content Management
Joomla! Southern African Portal | http://www.joomla.org.za
Learn Joomla! | http://www.learnjoomla.org.za
Skype /G-Talk : slingshotsean

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Is this a bug with Joomla! 1.6.0 ?
I guess it is.

ggsinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ggsinc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:42 am

Ugh. I've been battling this for hours.

I tried deleting the assets line that was left by the code and it blew the entire site. I couldn't access admin panel or front end of site, got a 'can't connect to database' error instead of the site. ARGH. I installed the backup of the database and the site came back up.

SOOOO now I have all these left-over not-installed repeats listed in my extensions mgr that I can't uninstall (there aren't the files to uninstall) that throw this error (15 times... 1 for each failed install, I'll spare you the repeats

JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/content/56/6509656/html/TABF11/administrator/components/com_breezingforms
JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file
JFolder: :files: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/content/56/6509656/html/TABF11/administrator/components/com_breezingforms
JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file
JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/content/56/6509656/html/TABF11/administrator/components/com_breezingforms
JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: /home/content/56/6509656/html/TABF11/components/com_breezingforms
Could not delete the administrator menus.
Component Uninstall: Can't uninstall. Please remove manually
And there are no instructions for HOW i'm supposed to remove them manually. (Falling out of love w/ joomla over this one... and fast).

And there seems to be no way to remove the traces of the uninstalled version that is stuck on my database and blocking the reinstall of the component.

Am I just out of luck here or is there a fix for this?

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 am

And there seems to be no way to remove the traces of the uninstalled version that is stuck on my database and blocking the reinstall of the component.
after you uninstall, check in PHPmyAdmin in table jos_assets for rows related to the component and delete those rows.

ggsinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ggsinc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

carsten888 wrote:after you uninstall, check in PHPmyAdmin in table jos_assets for rows related to the component and delete those rows.

Yeah, um, that's what totally crashed my site w/ a database error that wouldn't allow my site load from the front or back end. I finally worked it out by going through every single database category and found other traces in the modules and menu portion. Once I deleted all of those - I was able to get back into my site AND able to reinstall.

Whew.

turminator
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by turminator » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello!

Thanks for this topic, I have many problems with Jomsocial installation and with this I can solve it.

Thank you very much.

voices117
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by voices117 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I was developing a component for joomla 1.6, and i ran into the

---------------------------------
DB reports no error
error installing component.
(or something like that)

this happened when reinstalling a component, but not the first time.

i found that the error was in the update attempt of my component.

<update> <!-- Runs on update; New in 1.6 -->
<schemas>
<schemapath type="mysql">sql/updates/mysql</schemapath>
</schemas>
</update>

and the problem was that when joomla tried to update my com, it didnt find any file on how to do it, so my solution was to create an update sql file in the updates folder sql/updates/mysql:

sql/updates/mysql/0.0.1.sql <--- even though my component was on version 0.0.12

i left the file 0.0.1.sql empty, and that seemed to work for me!!!

Hope it helps someone!

uaintgotthisid
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by uaintgotthisid » Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks this was really helpful in solving a problem I had. Much appreciated :)
Joomla lover, web designer, marketeer
https://www.squareballoon.co.uk
JOIN US at Joomla! User Group London
https://www.joomlalondon.co.uk

ptesone
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ptesone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm

HI,

I got the same error message and I follow many instruction but all the time I get the same error, this is my case.

I try to update my component with the same standard code in the manifiest :

<update>
		<schemas>
			<schemapath type="mysql">sql/updates</schemapath>
		</schemas>
	</update>  
and I have in the follow path : sql\updates\mysql the sql script 2.3.7.sql

The component version installed are the : 2.3.5 and the new are the 2.4.0 , the SQL file have the number 2.3.7.

All the time when I try I get the same error : Component Update: SQL error file DB function reports no errors

I get the error with a insert or empty SQL.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong ?

Regards,
Peter

pauledward
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pauledward » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:19 pm

I am having the same problem here. I cannot install Akeeba Backup, JCE, or XMAP on my site without getting the error:

Component Install: DB function reports no errors

The components only partially install and I can't use the Uninstall function in the Extension Manager. The only way to uninstall is to search for and delete the IDs in the database.

Is there something else within the database I need to search and delete? Is there another way to solve this very frustrating problem?

Thank for any help you can offer.

Paul

madchris
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by madchris » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Thank you to carsten888 for documenting the problem and steps taken in such detail as well as the other contributors to this thread. I also found it very helpful.
http://www.madblanks.com - Quiz, survey, assessment, custom calculator, general purpose form extension

esvcv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by esvcv » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi All,

I was having the same problem, trying to install a component and receiving the "DB function reports no errors" and managed to fix it.

My scenario might be a little to others however... I had a 'test' site with the component installed and then created a new 'live' site on a hosting provider - and hence had to export / import my MySQL DB from the test to the live.

I stupidly did this import / export BEFORE installing the component, and so my DB already had all the tables etc etc with the component info in. When I tried to install the component I guess it failed because of this pre-existing data.

So I deleted the obvious tables from the root of the DB, and then did a search for the component name across all tables - which found various rows in the standard installation tables (extensions, menu etc) which I also had to delete. (Just the rows with the component name in... not the whole table!!)

I was then able to install the component as normal, and then imported the root component tables back in - and voila !

Upon checking my DB I also noted various tables from components / extensions that I had tested during the 'test site' phase, which I had since un-installed. It seems the un-install procedure of components / extensions may not always be 100% effective... and so anyone who had previously installed the component they are now struggling with, and is trying to re-install it after having un-installed... may be facing the same issue that I had.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a backup of your whole DB before deleting ANY rows or tables. I do not want to be responsible for anything going wrong on your site!!!

Hope this helps.
Matt

18engineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 18engineer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 pm

esvcv wrote:Hi All,

I was having the same problem, trying to install a component and receiving the "DB function reports no errors" and managed to fix it.

My scenario might be a little to others however... I had a 'test' site with the component installed and then created a new 'live' site on a hosting provider - and hence had to export / import my MySQL DB from the test to the live.

I stupidly did this import / export BEFORE installing the component, and so my DB already had all the tables etc etc with the component info in. When I tried to install the component I guess it failed because of this pre-existing data.

So I deleted the obvious tables from the root of the DB, and then did a search for the component name across all tables - which found various rows in the standard installation tables (extensions, menu etc) which I also had to delete. (Just the rows with the component name in... not the whole table!!)

I was then able to install the component as normal, and then imported the root component tables back in - and voila !

Upon checking my DB I also noted various tables from components / extensions that I had tested during the 'test site' phase, which I had since un-installed. It seems the un-install procedure of components / extensions may not always be 100% effective... and so anyone who had previously installed the component they are now struggling with, and is trying to re-install it after having un-installed... may be facing the same issue that I had.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a backup of your whole DB before deleting ANY rows or tables. I do not want to be responsible for anything going wrong on your site!!!

Hope this helps.
Matt

esvcv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by esvcv » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi 18,

It sounds like your issue is exactly what I experienced. You need to go into the MySQL Database.. which is usually done via PHPMyAdmin - a web based tool that your hosting provider will probably have given you the details of when you setup your site. Unless you are using your own server, in which case.. whatever you use to administer your databases directly (ie. not through the Joomla backend).

Once administering your actual MySQL database, TAKE A FULL BACKUP (there should be an Export option somewhere)

Once safely backed up, search for all tables that mention the extension and delete them.
Then also search for the extension name (or part there-of) through-out the entire database, and delete any rows that have not been removed from the un-installer.

You should then be able to re-install the extension :)

Best of luck!
Matt

18engineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 18engineer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:29 am

i am a newbie ..im usin joomla 1.7 and eclipse as an editor ...and xampp (with php and phpmyadmin and mysql)

i tried making components in joomla but couldn't get successful..without using database..
anyone plz give me running easy examples of components with no bug in it..

i tried alot from these links, but in vain..

http://docs.joomla.org/Developing_a_Mod ... _-_Part_01

http://docs.joomla.org/Developing_a_Mod ... -_Part_02

also tell where should i make tables..?if i make using phpmyadmin how should joomla make connection with phpmyadmin..

joomla 1.7 is installed in
xampp/htdocs/joomla17 folder
and eclipse is installed in xampp/htdocs/eclipse folder

kindly reply soon...so that i get started with joomla...

18engineer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 18engineer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:32 am

NicholasB
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by NicholasB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm

18Engineer

Very late response ... but in case you come back

I too found the earlier MVC Tutorials difficult, but am back using the Version 1.7 MVC Tutorial and progressing well (But am having the DB function reports no errors issue of this topic - at lesson 4 adding the model ... but I think it's my fault the download worked fine)

To get my component started I just put code (with Echo statements DB access etc) in my component controller.php file - I totally ignored all the Model & View Stuff. (But am back now weeks later trying to learn more)
If you do that use the display method of the controller.php 1st that's what Joomla will call by default
This I found was a good article http://docs.joomla.org/How_Joomla_pieces_work_together

benjimckinney
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by benjimckinney » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:27 am

This thread was very helpful. Especially @esvcv suggestion of doing a database-wide search for lines that relate to the said component. My issue was created from installing the component and then installing a new template with a dump.sql file. This left of database entries dangling out there! When I tried to install the component again, I was getting a "Error building Admin Menus" message and the component was not installed properly.

Always remember to take a quick backup of your database before editing or removing lines!

zubair256
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zubair256 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:55 am

This may be due to already entries in following tables (correspond to your component). Try to delete row which represents your component in following tables and try fresh installation of component.
jos_assets
jos_extensions
jos_menu

jonasfh
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jonasfh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks, Carsten, removing the assets-record worked for me,

Jonas
--
Jonas at arcgiraff.no

dunxmax
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dunxmax » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm

This thread just saved me a whole load of time. Was having trouble installing a component - deleting it in extensions and the assets via phpadmin did the trick for me.

The more we learn the less we know!

http://www.aquamandesign.co.uk
Committed to the Joomla way of life, based in the UK.

Reyad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Reyad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 am

i get the same error but i can't find uninstalled extension on my DB, in what table i should search them?

Friedrich72
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Friedrich72 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 am

carsten888 wrote:I compared the clean database with the database after uninstall and found one row stays in the table 'assets'. If I take that row out after the uninstall (and the rows in 'menu' and 'extension'), it installs again without a problem.

When uninstalling any other of my components, the row in 'assets' and other tables get cleaned up properly, just not for that one component. ???
This worked for me. Thanks.

evramanamca
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by evramanamca » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Just deleted entry of Phoca in _assets. Now it is working for me. Thank you so much. :)

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 Coding”