Page 1 of 1

Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:06 pm
by nzampella
I did a search on the forum, but didn't come up with an answer that way. I suspect I'm not the only person with this question however.

I've got the ACL permissions setup to allow users to only create, edit, delete and publish articles in certain categories. That's easy, what I need to find out is how I can stop them from selecting said articles as Featured Articles.

The template I'm using does not have any location for front page articles, so if someone set an article as Featured that messes up the template, and the site looks like carp ...

Any ideas ??

Thank in advance.

Neil

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:31 pm
by crandaddy
I'm not sure if you can turn that off on the front-end, at least I don't know of a way to turn that off. You could create a template override and remove that field though so it wouldn't be an option on the page.

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:26 am
by nzampella
crandaddy wrote:I'm not sure if you can turn that off on the front-end, at least I don't know of a way to turn that off. You could create a template override and remove that field though so it wouldn't be an option on the page.
Yeah ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that ...

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:41 am
by Webdongle
'Edit state' Denied prevents them from setting the Article as featured. But also prevents them from publishing and unpublishing Articles. This would mean that when they create an Article it is not published until someone with 'Edit state' Allowed published them.

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:58 am
by nzampella
Webdongle wrote:'Edit state' Denied prevents them from setting the Article as featured. But also prevents them from publishing and unpublishing Articles. This would mean that when they create an Article it is not published until someone with 'Edit state' Allowed published them.
That was my thought too ... and I need them to be able to publish their own stuff in their category. OK, what's the easiest way to do a template override to remove the 'featured' selection? Pointing me to the documentation would be fine. ;)

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 am
by Webdongle
http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_override_ ... omla!_core

/components/com_content/views/form/tmpl/edit.php
to
/templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/html/com_content/form/edit.php
<div class="formelm">
<?php echo $this->form->getLabel('featured'); ?>
<?php echo $this->form->getInput('featured'); ?>
</div>
Have only ever done overrides with default.php, not sure if it will work with edit.php

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:29 am
by nzampella
Webdongle wrote:http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_override_ ... omla!_core

/components/com_content/views/form/tmpl/edit.php
to
/templates/TEMPLATE_NAME/html/com_content/form/edit.php
<div class="formelm">
<?php echo $this->form->getLabel('featured'); ?>
<?php echo $this->form->getInput('featured'); ?>
</div>
Have only ever done overrides with default.php, not sure if it will work with edit.php
Thanks ... a step in the right direction ... ;)

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:42 am
by Webdongle
Got it to work ???

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:12 pm
by nzampella
Webdongle wrote:Got it to work ???
Oh .. not yet .. but you gave me the starting point, I'm taking Sunday off ;)

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm
by nzampella
Went and did the override, works perfectly. Thanks :D

Re: Restricting access to Featured Article setting

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm
by permfriis
I got the same conclution: featured article and publishing can only be switched on/off together.
However, has anyone found a solution in the meantime. I did not find an extention that could fix this.

Best regards Per