Not Allowed (Locked) when trying to change a permission

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

dcassone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Not Allowed (Locked) when trying to change a permission

Post by dcassone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

It seems that unless I allow the public to have a permission, I cannot allow any other category of user to have the permission.

This does not make any sense to me. I must be missing something. I want say only a publisher to have the permission, but when I give it to them, I get the "Not Allowed (Locked)" in the calculated settings and "Confilct" in the selected settings.

How to I allow certain classes of users the ability to do certain things, but not the public?

Thanks,
Dom

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Not Allowed (Locked) when trying to change a permission

Post by rcarey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:52 pm

My guess is that you are setting the permission at the public level to either Denied or Allowed. If so, use Inherited instead of Denied.

Is that the problem?
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

dcassone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcassone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks for the reply and the idea. Interesting the component will not let me set the Public permission to Inherited, it puts it back to Denied.

It will allow me to change it to Allowed, then the Publisher is allowed because it is inherited. BUT, I do not want Public to be allowed to say Publish/Unpublish.

Any other ideas?

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:57 am

Are you saying the dropdown for Public won't let you select Inherited? I've never heard of that behavior.

Or are you saying that when you select Inherited in the dropdown the state is reported as "denied." If this is the case, then you are probably misunderstanding how permissions work. This is the expected behavior. All permissions start as "denied" until some group Allows it. In contrast, setting a dropdown to Denied is an extreme version of "denied" - it means the permission is denied and can never be set to allowed. Hence the conflict of "Not Allowed (Locked)."

I recommend you invest in the component ACL Manager. It is inexpensive, and it provides a great tool for mapping out your permissions in a way that helps you see what is going on. The latest version is supposed to fix conflicts.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

dcassone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcassone » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Thank you for the reply, explanation and recommendation for the component. I'm sure the ACL Manager will help me as I get confused about ACL sometimes.

However, I am saying that when I select Inherited for say Public Edit Property, and then save the Permissions, it switches back to Denied

So, it appears that I cannot change the Public permissions. Perhaps it is a component bug?

Dom

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:10 pm

If I understand the scenario, yes, it does sound like a bug. What component are you using? (I was assuming Articles, but that is rather rock-solid.)

But it also could be that you have some setting elsewhere that is cascading out and causing this strange behavior. Here, as a diagnostic tool, is where ACL Manager would be helpful.

dmoomd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dmoomd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm

I think you might have the global permissions for the group set to deny.

In "System">>"Global configruation">>"Permissions" if your group does not have "create" permissions, then that group cannot have "create" permissions for the article component. You get the "Not allowed (Locked)" notice you'd mentioned.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”