Different home page for registered and guest users

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

abhiroop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Different home page for registered and guest users

Post by abhiroop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 am

Hi,
I want to have different home pages for guest and registered users. How can I do that?

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Different home page for registered and guest users

Post by rcarey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 pm

You need to create a sibling group to "Registered," and then create two new access levels representing each of the two. Here's what to do...

Create a user group called "Guests." While in the user manager, click on "options" and set the "guest user group" to this new group. That way, everyone visiting will be assigned to this group, and once logged in, they no longer will be in that group.

Then create an access level called "Guest" and within it select just the "Guest" group. Likewise, create an access level called "Registered" and within it select just the "Registered" Group.

To display a different menu, go to the menu modules and select the desired access level (Registered or Guests ...instead of Public).

If you want to use the same menu but vary just some of the menu items, then set the access level for each menu item (public to always show, and registered or guest to show to just one or the other).

To show different modules, follow the same pattern of setting the access level per module.
Randy Carey, the iCue Project http://iCueProject.com : developing an intelligent approach to improving the CMS user experience,
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

Tzemran
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tzemran » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 am

I have just solved this and now my registered users see a different home page. I created a Blog style Frontpage with Featured articles that are in order. The lowest set are for registered users and the higher set are public. You can set the blog format to only show so many items one leading and so many next level items. If you set it up so that they can only see what is on the page with no links etc. then they only see those articles but when the user logs in they get to see the lower numbered set and the higher number set are pushed off the page without any links.

alysion
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alysion » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 pm

I have a guest group and menu items that guests (the public) see but not registered users, and vice versa, but the home page is a basic info page for the public, so once logged in I wanted a different front page article/blog for registered users. Tried what I could think of, came close, tried above, but no cigar. I was about to break down and post for help when I found an extension that gets the cigar. It's call System-Nomad and is free. Basically it's a redirect to another 'front' page whose name shows in the breadcrumbs but that's the only difference other than the content of the page. I had some issues to resolve that involved Advanced Module Manager in which I had assigned the CB Login to the home page which overrode all other attempts to assign it. It was missing from the new member home page and so members could not log out. Other assignments had to be adjusted, but now all is well.

rosty31
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rosty31 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello.

I have Community builder 1.8.
Joomla 2.5
Community builder profile pro.

I tried to make Guest access level but it doesnt work.
What I did is>
1. I Create new user group Guestxxx as child of Public
2. I create new access level Guestyyy and I attached guestxxx as group.
3. I set in options Guest User Group as Guestyyy.

Than I check database in CB, I synchronized user and all looks ok.
What is wrong? Why I cant display menu or article to Guests?

rosty31
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rosty31 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I found solution>

Go to Global configuration of Joomla > Site setting> Default access level set to Guestzzz

Maybe that helps anybody.
Bye

tarekitsme
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tarekitsme » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:29 am

rcarey wrote:You need to create a sibling group to "Registered," and then create two new access levels representing each of the two. Here's what to do...

Create a user group called "Guests." While in the user manager, click on "options" and set the "guest user group" to this new group. That way, everyone visiting will be assigned to this group, and once logged in, they no longer will be in that group.

Then create an access level called "Guest" and within it select just the "Guest" group. Likewise, create an access level called "Registered" and within it select just the "Registered" Group.

To display a different menu, go to the menu modules and select the desired access level (Registered or Guests ...instead of Public).

If you want to use the same menu but vary just some of the menu items, then set the access level for each menu item (public to always show, and registered or guest to show to just one or the other).

To show different modules, follow the same pattern of setting the access level per module.
hello

i did follow your steps but now the homepage is redirecting to access visitors to log in ,,,could you please explain these steps one by one,,i am kinda lost,,,thanks
YoVibe meant to be by and for you
http://www.yovibe.com

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

From the scenario you are describing, I suspect you have set the component for the home page to the access level Registered. Check into that, and if it is set to Registered, set it to Public.

There is something about your home page that requires the user to be registered, so that page is giving the user a login screen instead of serving up a blank page.

If this is not the case, either explain more details, or contact me via PM (private messaging) to share site or even login details so I can take a look myself.
Randy Carey, the iCue Project http://iCueProject.com : developing an intelligent approach to improving the CMS user experience,
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

tarekitsme
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tarekitsme » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm

sorry for the late reply,,,i am just back from a long trip,,,let me see what i can do then i'll update you in here as soon as possible thanks for the reply and your precious efforts :)
YoVibe meant to be by and for you
http://www.yovibe.com

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”