Allow a user to edit 1 article only and post 1 type of artic

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

stevecardiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Allow a user to edit 1 article only and post 1 type of artic

Post by stevecardiff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

I have looked through the Access and Permissions stuff for Joomla and got very confused.

Question 1:
-----------
I need to give access to 1 user of my Radyr Tennis Club site who is the coach for the Club, so he can edit his Coaching article (page) by logging into the front-end.

He is just set up as 'Registered' at the moment. I don't want to allow him access to edit any other content on the site - just the 1 Coaching article on the Coaching page.

Can anyone help? It sounds like it should be something very simple but I have got lost in all the detail.

Question 2:
-----------
Also, how would I allow him access to add an article - specifically with a category of 'News' which I have set up so he can publish news articles himself about the coaching. I presume he would need to login to the backend for this. If I give him access of Registered and Manager then he can post anything , with any category and edit any article, which is a bit dangerous.

Many thanks

Steve
PS. Link to my tennis club site below
:)

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Allow a user to edit 1 article only and post 1 type of a

Post by mandville » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

Would making him the owner of that article and using the *edit own * permission sort that ?
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

stevecardiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevecardiff » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm

yes that solves Question1 - many thanks.
For Question 2 - Is it possible for that user to login to the front end and add an article as well? From what I have read so far, I can only allow users to add articles if the have back-end admin access by making them Registered Manager.

stevecardiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevecardiff » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 pm

I think I'm a step closer now, basically to enable articles to be created from the front-end you need to create a menu item of type 'Create Article' and give the user access to that menu item by setting the access level to 'Special'.

I have my user set to 'Registered Author' so they can amend their own articles, but I also want them to be able to create and publish Articles with a category of 'News' . To do this I need to give them Publish permission, but when I do this it means they can amend any article on the site which is not what I want.

How can I limit them to only be able to publish their articles by giving them 'publish' permission, but without allowing them to be able to amend any article (thus overriding the 'Author' permission).

stevecardiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stevecardiff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Ok, I have finally cracked it. I created a new Group called 'coach' and placed that under the Publisher group so it inherits those permissions. Then amended all my Category permissions so that Coach can only edit/create with the Coaching and News catgeory. This enables Coach to create/edit articles in Coaching and News.

I'm not sure if this is the neatest way of doing it but it works. :)

Thought I' post a final comment in case others had this problem.

paddyirishman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Allow a user to edit 1 article only and post 1 type of artic

Post by paddyirishman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks Steve... 8)
Good easy explanation to the basics of fronted article management.
Though nowadays there are many article managers extensions available too.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”