Can no longer edit anything in the admin panel!

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

tequilatamm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can no longer edit anything in the admin panel!

Post by tequilatamm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

Hi.

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm beside myself trying to sort it out!

I was playing with user/group/access level settings today, as I want the majority of my users to access particular default menu settings, and I want myself to be able to access an extra menu item on this menu that other users can't see.

At some point, I changed a "super user" setting, and the system threw up a message telling me I couldn't change that access on my own profile. I said OK... but I think it still flipped a switch.

Now, when I login to the admin panel, I no longer have the row of icons across the top letting me save, save and close, options, etc.

Effectively, with my admin login to the admin panel, I can no longer make changes to the settings and content of my Joomla website!

I'm sure what I've done is changed my permissions to the only admin login I have so that I no longer have admin or super-admin rights... but I'm not exactly sure what happened.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm assuming there's something I can do with PHPAdmin to get back from this.... But have no idea what!

HELP!!!!!!

pcp300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can no longer edit anything in the admin panel!

Post by pcp300 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 am

This happened to me to, but try this-

1.) login into the admin panel to get to your backend screens

2.) INSERT after youraddress.com /administrator/index.php?option=com_modules
(you want to get to your extensions-modules- and goto the first dropdown selector section- hit "administrator" so you can only see the modules in the backend admin panel)

3.) find the module "Toolbar" & open it up, go to the "access" and temporarily reset it to "registered". (the icons should reappear to save)

4.) Do the same to "Admin Menu" and reset its access levels to "registered".
you should be able to see the top menus and save icons again-hopefully

Now all you have to do is go back and revert or reconfigure your access permissions, once done go back and change/reset 3&4 back to the original access state.

hope this helps, it worked for me.

tequilatamm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tequilatamm » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for the instructions. I'll refer back to them the next time it happens.

The problem cleared itself after about 5 days for no explicable reason.

NOW... all my menus have dropped out.... looks again like some sort of permissions problem, but the permissions haven't changed.

I think it may be a strange issue with Java and or caching. All these strange problems have started since I installed Accordion FAQ. Clearning the cache was helping some of the early problems, but things seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

pcp300
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcp300 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am

Oh ya, definitely get into the habit of clearing your joomla cache and browser cache everytime you make changes to your site so you can see the results immediately. i've learned that lesson a long time ago and the hard way too. Well good luck

tequilatamm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tequilatamm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks for the good wishes.

I seem to have lots of cache problem. If I forget to clear the cache about every 5 minutes while I'm working in the backend, it just locks up. Google absolutely crashes due to caching problems. Google also doesn't display the button to let you change the type of article you are associating, so then I'm forced to use IE for some things, and the newer versions of IE run like a very slow, old dog, and really cause caching problems!

At first I was glad to get away from the constraints of Microsoft, but now I'm not so sure.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”