user permission

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

govind13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

user permission

Post by govind13 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm

I an new in joomla i just want to know about user permission. i want to create a user that user will manage only one component not all site admin access

Please Help.......................Gom

certico
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: user permission

Post by certico » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 pm

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: user permission

Post by rcarey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 am

This can be done fairly easily.

Create a new user group. So I can refer to it here, let's call it RoleA. As a new group, it will not have any permissions. The first thing to do is go to GlobalConfigurations, then to the permissions tab. Open the slider for RoleA and change one setting - "Allow" Admin Login. This will allow any person assigned to this group to be able to login to the backend.

Then go to Users->AccessLevels. Edit Special, check RoleA, and save. This adds your new role to the access grouping that gets to see the menu in the backend. (Most backend users prefer to see the menu ;) )

Then (as you logged in as an admin) go to your component, click on the options icon (typically upper right) and open the permissions tab. Here is where you give RoleA all the permissions it should have. The group will need "Access Admin Interface" allowed, and probably not "Configure." If this user should have full access to everything else, then allow RoleA every permission for this component (except for Configure).

As I said from the start, this group bestows no permissions except those that you add to it. So a person assigned to this group and only to this group should see nothing but this component in the backend. Create a test user, assign that user to this group and only to this group, then login to the backend to confirm all is working as you expect and want.
Randy Carey, the iCue Project http://iCueProject.com : developing an intelligent approach to improving the CMS user experience,
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”