Limiting article access to a single user - simple solution

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

umbrellax2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Limiting article access to a single user - simple solution

Post by umbrellax2 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 pm

This may be common knowledge to advanced Joomla 2.5 users, but we recently had a customer request the ability to add a "Client Page" that could only be accessed by a single client using a unique username/password that would redirect to that page on login.

One more thing - no other client should be able to access that page through search or URL guessing.

Here's how we did it:

#1. Create a new User Group, "YourClientName UG" - choose "Registered" in the Group Parent drop down menu.

#2. Create a new Access Level, "YourClientName AL" - under User Groups Having Viewing Access click "YourClient UG" and "Super Users" checkboxes only.

#3. Create a new User, "YourClientName" - under the Assigned User Group only click the "YourClient UG" checkbox.

#4. Create a new Article, "YourClientName Client Page" - choose "YourClientName AL" in the Access drop down menu.

----------
At this point you have done everything needed to limit access to a page by a single user group. If you want to offer auto-redirect, read on...
----------

#5. Create a new Menu, "HiddenMenu" - fyi, this menu is never used on your site except to give you hidden URLs

#6. Add a link to the article you just created - choose "HiddenMenu" under Menu Location and choose "YourClientName AL" under the Access drop down menu.

#7. Install the component, Redirect on Login (or another of your choice that allows redirect to URL by User Group.) Use the menu link you created in #6 as the redirect under the User Group "YourClientName UG".

Send the client a link to the login page. When they login, they'll be redirected to their "Client Page" after login. No other user can find or access that page (except Super Users of course.)

M4nimal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Limiting article access to a single user - simple soluti

Post by M4nimal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 am

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for, saved me hours upon hours of research!

LEGEND!

dmurphy4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dmurphy4 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks!

essamy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by essamy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:02 am

This is a great solution! so, Thank you.
but, is there is any way to do this automatically?
I mean that the user category created automatically after his sign up without needing do do it my self?
Thanks

dpsuser
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dpsuser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Thank You!

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”