Why can only SuperAdmin create articles in frontend

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

jparker3119
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Why can only SuperAdmin create articles in frontend

Post by jparker3119 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 am

As a demonstration for a client, I setup publisher1 to have publisher rights, editor1 to have editor rights, and author1 to have author rights. Upon logging in, all three can view a menu item that is linked to the Create Article Menu Item Type. However, a Server Error message is generated upon clicking on the [Create an Article] menu link.

When the superadmin goes through the same procedure with the same menu items, the editor opens up as expected.

ALCs are set up as follows:

Article Manager Options are setup with the default settings for each of the three groups, author, editor, and publisher.

In User Manager author1 is in the Author group, editor1 is in the Editor group, and publisher1 is in the Publisher group.

All three can log in from the front and depending on the article author and group to which they belong can edit articles within their expected groups.

I am using JCE. I have configured within JCE a profile called Front End, and have set the profile to be accessible to Administrators, Authors, Editors, and Publishers. Again, the JCE editor is accessible when the logged in user is the SuperAdmin.

So the setup is working as expected except for the fact that the Editor Form is not accessible to the author, editor, and publisher groups, even though their right to edit particular articles is being administered correctly.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I am overlooking or making a mistake in my setup.

PS: I had installed UAM (com_uam_v0.18) which I really liked. The add-on is no longer available from the Joomla website, and I uninstalled it from my site due to it's becoming broken with one of the updates. I kind of wonder if some setting made by the add-on isn't the culprit here.

Thanks in advance.

jparker3119
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SOLVED: Re: Why can only SuperAdmin create articles in front

Post by jparker3119 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 am

After doing some extensive Googling, I found that some sites that had installed contentbuilder were experiencing this problem. For some, de-activating the contentbuilder system plugin cured the problem. It did on one of my sites. Unfortunately, on another it did not and I de-activated the entire contentbuilder installation. Upon doing so, the I was able to use the native Joomla front-end editor.
Since contentbuilder is intended to be an advanced article management system, the fact that it interferes with the native system should not be surprising.
In my particular case, the native Joomla system was sufficient and so I chose to use it. In another circumstance I would not hesitate to use contentbuilder.
Hope this may help some others who experienced this problem.

TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Why can only SuperAdmin create articles in frontend

Post by TheMuffinMan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,

I am the dev of contentbuilder.

The system plugin is very important for contentbuilder, but it sounds you just need to turn off the option "Disable Joomla built-in article submission". It currently is enabled to "yes" and will be disabled by default in the upcoming 1.0 version of contentbuilder.

The option is meant to redirect to record rather than article editing because if you decide to generate articles from records, they should be edited on record level.

Please let me know how it went enabling the system plugin but keeping that option off.

Regards,
Markus

jparker3119
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Why can only SuperAdmin create articles in frontend

Post by jparker3119 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 am

Sorry for my slow reply and thanks for the help that was offered.
Turning off the "Disable Joomla built-in article submission" worked!
Thanks again.
Jim

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”