SuperUser login gets blank page

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

artshotwell
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

SuperUser login gets blank page

Post by artshotwell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I may have done something I shouldn't have... When I log in as a SuperUser on the backend, I get the Joomla header & part of the footer, but that's it. Password is okay, I think, but...that's all I see. And, I must admit to doing something that I wasn't sure of.. I'm still learning ACL in Joomla. I removed the Special in the User Manager: Viewing Access Levels area. But, I don't know if that caused this.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

artshotwell
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: SuperUser login gets blank page

Post by artshotwell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Okay, I thought I'd check the database... Using PHPMyAdmin, in viewlevels, I set Special to the same setting as Registered. I'm back in now. And, I guess I need to take another look at the ACL documentation.

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:42 am

The module that displays the admin menu is set to "Special" as its access level. (Actually, these modules are set to the id value of '3'.)
By changing the meaning of access level number 3 (i.e., what groups are included by access level #3), you changed who gets to see the modules and menu items that had been assigned to "Special."

By changing the access level "Special" to include the user group "Registered," are you are (in effect) accomplishing what I have recommended - changing the admin menu's module to an access level that won't exclude anyone who can access the backend.

But your approach could be setting your site up for security issue. If there are modules (frontend as well as backend) that are assigned to Special, these now are viewable to anyone who simply logs in (frontend or backend). A better approach is to assign the admin menu module to the Registered access level. And so you know, Joomla installs Special with "checked" groups of Author, Manager, and Super (stated here in case you want to reset this access level to its "factory installed ettings").
Randy Carey, the iCue Project http://iCueProject.com : developing an intelligent approach to improving the CMS user experience,
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

artshotwell
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by artshotwell » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Thank you. Very much. I started trying to tweak my security settings after a user with Publisher permissions logged into the back end and reset his permissions to Administrator, then started adding articles and modules. He had no Joomla experience, but apparently looked at some documentation online. He has had other programming experience. This scared me.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”