permissions change that screwed everything up

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Post Reply
mattadamsmagic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:03 pm

permissions change that screwed everything up

Post by mattadamsmagic » Tue May 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Ok - so I'm a relatively new website guy. I've done it for a long time, but still not very good with the technical aspects. My friend has a safari company and his website was absolutely atrocious - like literally unusable. I've fixed a ton of things and just now got around to updating the permissions for certain accounts in Joomla.

There is ONE account - a Super User with username of admin. Nothing else. Here's the problem...

Here's a direct link: SITENAME/administrator/index.php?option=com_config (permissions tab)

where SITENAME is the name of his site. (SEE ATTACHMENT)

On this particular page, I changed Public->Super User to be "ALLOWED" instead of "NOT SET" as it originally was. This was the change that screwed everything up. My menu disappeared after that and I can't re-save it. I can at least log in and SEE the page and I can even make the change - but because there's no menu, it cannot be saved.

Next problem - under SITENAME/administrator/index.php?option=com_config (server tab)

It shows that FTP is disabled. Of course, there's the same problem. I cannot enable it and save it. So I don't know how to log into the site with FTP...

I didn't have any "downloads" of the site as I don't really know exactly how to do that so there's no way to just upload or reinstall the site because the changes will all be lost.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mandville on Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retitled to be more descriptive, moved to more suitable location

mattadamsmagic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Re: No one has solved this yet - can you?

Post by mattadamsmagic » Tue May 31, 2016 4:47 pm

Update - figured out how to login to phpMyAdmin...

Surely I can find a thread that can assist now...looking...

My levels are set correctly it would seem:
gidg7_viewlevels -
Public [1]
Registered [6,2,8]
Special [6,3,8]

mattadamsmagic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Re: No one has solved this yet - can you?

Post by mattadamsmagic » Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Nope - can't find a thread that answers this!

Levels are correct - my username (admin) is a Super User - but apparently by changing that ONE thing under Permissions tab in the config has screwed me up royally. I've got a buddy who can assist in a few hours if no one else can chime in sooner.

mattadamsmagic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Re: permissions change that screwed everything up

Post by mattadamsmagic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Got it resolved! Had to let an "expert" get into the site and browse around. Had the problem fixed in less than 5 minutes.

The issue was in the database - as I said - and he went into myPHPadmin and changed assets table

from: "core.admin":{"1":1}

to: "core.admin":{"8":1}

1 = public
8 = super user

Fixed my issue. Sheesh!


Post Reply

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”