Page 1 of 1

permissions change that screwed everything up

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:25 pm
by mattadamsmagic
Ok - so I'm a relatively new website guy. I've done it for a long time, but still not very good with the technical aspects. My friend has a safari company and his website was absolutely atrocious - like literally unusable. I've fixed a ton of things and just now got around to updating the permissions for certain accounts in Joomla.

There is ONE account - a Super User with username of admin. Nothing else. Here's the problem...

Here's a direct link: SITENAME/administrator/index.php?option=com_config (permissions tab)

where SITENAME is the name of his site. (SEE ATTACHMENT)

On this particular page, I changed Public->Super User to be "ALLOWED" instead of "NOT SET" as it originally was. This was the change that screwed everything up. My menu disappeared after that and I can't re-save it. I can at least log in and SEE the page and I can even make the change - but because there's no menu, it cannot be saved.

Next problem - under SITENAME/administrator/index.php?option=com_config (server tab)

It shows that FTP is disabled. Of course, there's the same problem. I cannot enable it and save it. So I don't know how to log into the site with FTP...

I didn't have any "downloads" of the site as I don't really know exactly how to do that so there's no way to just upload or reinstall the site because the changes will all be lost.

Any ideas?

Re: No one has solved this yet - can you?

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:47 pm
by mattadamsmagic
Update - figured out how to login to phpMyAdmin...

Surely I can find a thread that can assist now...looking...

My levels are set correctly it would seem:
gidg7_viewlevels -
Public [1]
Registered [6,2,8]
Special [6,3,8]

Re: No one has solved this yet - can you?

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 pm
by mattadamsmagic
Nope - can't find a thread that answers this!

Levels are correct - my username (admin) is a Super User - but apparently by changing that ONE thing under Permissions tab in the config has screwed me up royally. I've got a buddy who can assist in a few hours if no one else can chime in sooner.

Re: permissions change that screwed everything up

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm
by mattadamsmagic
Got it resolved! Had to let an "expert" get into the site and browse around. Had the problem fixed in less than 5 minutes.

The issue was in the database - as I said - and he went into myPHPadmin and changed assets table

from: "core.admin":{"1":1}

to: "core.admin":{"8":1}

1 = public
8 = super user

Fixed my issue. Sheesh!