Getting Feedback about a 'New Reply' Via one's epost Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Getting Feedback about a 'New Reply' Via one's epost

Post by Abe07 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello.

I hope that it is the place for discussing this topic.
I didn't find any other forum related to my question.

To be informed, via one's private epost, regarding 'a new reply to a raised problem' from the forum is an efficient process. This function did work me some years ago, but not right now!
I am wondering how to enable this function again?

Regards
/Abe

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Getting Feedback about a 'New Reply' Via one's epost

Post by jgress- » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 pm

I think maybe the general forum would work for this. I don't understand what you're asking. Perhaps I don't remember the feature.

This forum is for Joomla! User Groups that organise meetings around the world.

Mods, will you please move this to the appropriate place or answer Abe07?
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Interesting observations by the OP.

1) Although the forum rules state that temporary/disposable email addresses are not permitted when registering an account with this forum
  • When registering, a valid email address has to be used. Disposable email addresses are not permitted. If found, we will remove the account in question.
I'm not sure how this rule is enforced.

2) Assuming that a forum account has a valid email address, the User Control Panel » Board Preferences » Edit Notification Options is where people can adjust the notification settings.

3) You can override those settings (i.e. unsubscribe) for a topic or forum, if you want. There's also a checkbox at the end of the posting form that allows people to not be notified when a post is required.

4) There may be a problem with the receiver's email account. It's possible that email from this forum (as well as any other place) may be rejected; the mailbox may be full or the mail may be incorrectly identified as spam.

Suggestions: (1) change your email address, (2) change the notification options in the UCP, (3) make sure the "notify me" checkbox is checked, and (4) check your mail inbox and "spam" folder.

This is not an official response; these are just my personal views.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you for your reply. Please note the following:

1. I have submitted a valid email address.

2. In ‘Posting Notifications’, I marked all options under both 'NOTIFICATIONS' and 'EMAIL'.
(If it is the solution to the problem -- when you kindly respond to this post, a notification mail
has to be sent to my gmail account informing me of a 'new reply' to the topic.)

3. When I just recently had to change my password to log into the forum, it sent a mail instructing
me to validate the request. Therefore, my account did NOT identified it as a spam.

4. As to your notion (...a checkbox at the end of the posting …), I can NOT find such a box.
Where is it located?

5. In regard to your last point (change your email address), I am wondering how to reach
the relevant menu
to perform your suggestions?

Thanks.

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:42 pm

To change your email address, scroll to the top of the forum and in the light blue box on the far right you'll see your username with a down arrow.

1. Click the down arrow and select Profile
2. Next to your username click Edit Profile
3. On the sidebar, click Edit Account Settings
4. Change your email address
5. Click Submit

I don't really understand the rest but sozzled seems to so I'll let him comment on the rest.
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm

I assume I have found a solution to the problem.
I'll be back soon.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Based on the following measures, I assumed that I have resolved the issue:

Firstly, I found out that I haven't answered “Yes” to last option of the form; “Notify me upon replies by default:” (under ‘User Control Panel/Board preferences/Edit posting defaults’) — see attachment-1. So I did it and submitted the new setting.

Secondly, I checked the settings under ‘.../Edit notification options’. It was okay; I had already marked all options, including ‘Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed’ — see attachment-2.

I basically sent the previous post to validate my assumption. I checked up my gmail account, both Inbox and Spam posts. There was no result, so it didn’t work. Now the question is:

A) The above measures and all settings in the forum has NOTHING to do with ‘notification sent to one’s e-Post‘.

B) Maybe, someone else has to add a comment on your topic in order you get the notification from the forum’s administration. I personally don’t think that it it's the cause. However, if you are reading this post and think that this alternative might work, please add a short comment to see if it is the case. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Many people have problems with Gmail; that's one of the reasons why I never use Gmail accounts when I register with websites. If people have problems receiving mail with Gmail then they need to address their questions to Gmail.

In my previous reply, I suggested to the OP to change their email account.

sozzled wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 pm
2) Assuming that a forum account has a valid email address, the User Control Panel » Board Preferences » Edit Notification Options is where people can adjust the notification settings.
These are the settings that I use:
ucp_postingDefaults.png
upc_notificationOptions.png

sozzled wrote:
3) You can override those settings (i.e. unsubscribe) for a topic or forum, if you want. There's also a checkbox at the end of the posting form that allows people to not be notified when a post is required.
Use the "Full Editor & Preview" option to see the checkbox that I was talking about.
j!f_submitPost.png
Therefore, to summarise again, if people are having problems with notifications from this forum, they should:

(1) check their email address and change it; disposable email accounts do not work with this forum; webmail-based email accounts may not always work with this forum;
(2) check the notification options in the UCP and change them;
(3) make sure the "notify me" checkbox is checked; and
(4) check one's mail inbox and "spam" folder; webmail-based email accounts (e.g. Gmail) are notorious for blocking email from internet forums.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 pm

For the record: I've been using Gmail forever, and I've never had any problem.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you need to post in the forum a certain number of times before you start getting new-post-notifications?
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 pm

Jaydot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 pm
For the record: I've been using Gmail forever, and I've never had any problem.
Me too. Over a decade.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:47 pm

I'm not saying that Gmail is unreliable; I'm only saying that I don't use it myself to register accounts on internet discussion forums. For Gmail, there are settings that can block mail generated from certain senders: https://google.com/search?q=gmail+account+fil ... google.com

To clarify the point about disposable email addresses, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_email_address.

Jaydot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 pm
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you need to post in the forum a certain number of times before you start getting new-post-notifications?
I would be interested to read that if you can find it. In the case we're discussing, the OP has over 35 posts. One would imagine that the limitation would have been exceeded by this time.

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:47 pm
I would be interested to read that...
You're probably right. The forum rules say you can't use PM until you reach five forum posts... The notifications-rule is probably similar. Can't find it at this time of night on my phone :).
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 pm

The PM rule affects a user's ability to send (or receive) PMs. The primary purpose of the forum is for public discussion; it is not the primary purpose for people to register an account in order to engage in private messaging with another person.

There's another rule concerning a user's ability to attach a forum signature (25 posts). The ability to receive email notifications is separate from these things ... as it should be. It would be senseless for people to post a question on the forum and not be able to receive notification by email, wouldn't it?

It is my guess that more than nine in ten new account registrations at this forum are created using disposable email addresses. I'm not saying that this is the situation in this case; I'm only surmising that, based on the number of new accounts that never post anything as well as the number of new accounts that post only one message (and many of those are nuisance or junk posts), there is probably a correlation between the email address people may use and the type of "activity" they intend to conduct. While unproven and unprovable, most new accounts on this forum are fake; the mechanism(s) (e.g. CAPTCHA) to detect and prevent fake user registrations at this forum are ineffective.

As I wrote earlier,
sozzled wrote:
... the forum rules state that temporary/disposable email addresses are not permitted when registering an account with this forum
  • When registering, a valid email address has to be used. Disposable email addresses are not permitted. If found, we will remove the account in question.
I'm not sure how this rule is enforced.
I doubt that the rule is enforceable at the time of account registration.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm

Abe07 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm
I basically sent the previous post to validate my assumption. I checked up my gmail account, both Inbox and Spam posts. There was no result, so it didn’t work.
You are not notified of replies/posts created by you.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SOLVED: Getting Feedback about a 'New Reply' Via one's epost

Post by Abe07 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:14 am

WooooooW!
Now the issue is RESOLVED!
As soon as sozzled sent a reply, I received the notification by the forum.
I was away from my computer.
I checked my email posts about 20 minutes ago.
;)

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 pm
It would be senseless for people to post a question on the forum and not be able to receive notification by email, wouldn't it?
That's what you'd expect, yes, but I distinctly remember how annoying it was when I joined the forum and there was no way to get notifications. That's when I researched it thoroughly and found out about the threshold. But I can't find it anymore... Still, if notifications have the same threshold as signatures (25 posts), it would almost explain the OP's problem and the fact that it's resolved now... :).

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:21 pm

The most likely explanation for the problem is that the OP changed the original, default settings in the UCP. The most likely explanation for the solution is that the OP changed the UCP notification settings back to the original values.

There is no you-must-post-n-messages-before-you-are-notified-of-replies "threshold".

People are not notified by email of their own posts.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello sozzled.
I appreciate your contribution in resolving the issue.

I was almost certain that:
People are not notified by email of their own posts.
That's mostly why I sent that post; anticipating getting a response from somebody.
Thank you for replying to that post.

P. S.
What an awesome website you have made!
I like your Home page very much.
After assigning it to a relevant web design category and publishing it, I will let you know.

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Something interesting/strange has come up.
Today, I got a notification from the Forum stating that I have got a new reply from ‘williammar237’.
I have double-checked the posts, but can’t find any reply from this gentleman!

Does anyone have an idea about it?

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Sorry, I forgot to send the attachment.
Here it is:

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Abe07 wrote:Something interesting/strange has come up.
Today, I got a notification from the Forum stating that I have got a new reply from ‘williammar237’. I have double-checked the posts, but can’t find any reply from this gentleman!
The reply was deleted as part of the moderation process when that gentleman was banned from the forum for spamming.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Okay, thank you toivo.
Wow!
What spammers do on this forum?!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Spammers and their bots often reply to the most recent posts with a message containing links, or plagiarise an earlier post, adding hidden links.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks for your info, toivo.
It was an interesting piece of information for me.
And thanks to you and all others in your rank for keeping this forum neat and clean.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”