The "Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x" forum

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with joomla.org, community.joomla.org, forum.joomla.org, vel.joomla.org.
Forum rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

The "Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x" forum

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 pm

I read, with continuing concern, messages posted in this forum category from people who ask questions like "What is the best way to improve my Google search engine result pages?", etc. In many cases, these questions have nothing to do with Joomla.

Most of these topics start by someone who writes one message and then never replies to the flood of posts that follow afterwards. Many of the so-called "questions" are shamless; they do not even mention the word Joomla.

Although it may be "useful" to have an area where people can discuss how Google, or Bing (or any other search engine) may index a website, if they do not in some way relate directly to Joomla it would seem inappropriate to abuse this forum category by flooding it with off-topic, irrelevant or predominantly advertorial comments about certain products that are in the public domain.

I don't want to see the forum too heavily censored but I believe that moderators should try to ensure that this category has some appearance that it was exists for discussions about Joomla, specifically, and not just webcraft in general. There is a category for general webcraft issues; it's called "The Lounge".

Examples of topics in this category that have no specific relevance to Joomla (and that would, in my opinion, benefit by being relocated to "The Lounge") are:
I'm calling them for what they are: cheap ways for people to flood the forum with unreliable, non evidence-based rubbish or advertisements for products that (in many cases) are equally unreliable, non evidence-based rubbish.

These topics (and others just like them) become spam-bait and no-one likes forum spam.

Of course, this is just my opinion but wouldn't it be like a breath of fresh air if these topics were killed off, closed or consigned to the great rubbish dump of history instead of lying here attracting people who have no genuine interest in Joomla like flies laying maggots on rotting flesh?

Thank you.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: The "Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x" forum

Post by itoctopus » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:58 pm

I agree with some of what you're saying, and I agree that the links that you have posted are low quality. However, keep in mind one thing - SEO is mostly based on myths - even the most important websites talking about SEO base a substantial amount of their information on myths rather than on facts. Rare are those who know how Google's search engine works, and the absolute majority of these "so-called" SEO experts base a good amount of their information on myths and old wives' tales. Of course, there is some science behind SEO (for example, clean titles, clean HTML, clean meta description, no over-usage of keywords), but this science is based on facts officially published by Google. Anything beyond that is based on myths (these myths are in turn based on experiences with the search engine and how it reacts to actions done by the webmaster).

My point here is if you feel that there is some nonsense there (and, again, I agree with you), then I think it's very normal, because myths are usually nonsense.

Deleting these posts is something that, in my opinion, can be considered (no need to move them to the "Lounge"), but we need to be always reminded of the fact that SEO is mostly based on myths, so people are entitled to throw their opinions and their own myths in a forum dedicated to SEO.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”