All Joomla blogs should be merged into 1

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

All Joomla blogs should be merged into 1

Post by shoulders » Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 pm

I find it difficult finding information from joomla.org (not support, but announcments) I tend to find more from random conference videos from [youtube]. agood example of this is the Joomla 4.0 release and what to expect in it, I found some Brian Teeman videos outlining this.

What I would like is all of the blogs from joomla.org (i.e. JED blog, Joomla Official news etc....) merged into 1. This would give the 1 single blog/place for all announcements, articles and news rather that all of the different ones joomla has now.

A good article type i would also like to see going forward is an article for each conference from around the world pointing to the videos on Joomla.

Thanks

shoulders

deleted user

Re: All Joomla blogs should be merged into 1

Post by deleted user » Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm

The odds of everything being merged at this point are slim to none. We are talking about 10 years of content here and a lot of high ranked/traffic resources. Except for the JED blog and magazine, all of the active blog/announcement areas can be found on the joomla.org homepage (the top announcements area is the posts on .org itself, typically release news, and the other announcements area next to events covers the Developer Network, Community Portal, and Volunteers Portal).

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm

As an end user I do find it awkward to use. I found out more about Joomla 4.0 from [youtube] than joomla.org. There is information splattered all over the place on the front page but does not have a defined structure and is 'too busy', this is one of the reasons a unified blog would help.

I understand about having highly ranked assets and there is a lot of articles. But having many blogs and news sources is possibly one of the reasons for lower market share, where do people look for information or on how to start using Joomla. The forum is easy to find for support but if I wanted to add an RSS feed for joomla news, which one would I pick. Also if the JED blog was part of a sinle main blog they would get more responses to their surveys because more people will see the post.

Lastly, the split menu (on joomla homepage) is the worst thing I can thing of, I personally hate it (a lot, sorry).

Anyway that is my opinion/feedback only, and I do like Joomla and appreciate all of the work the volunteers do. The feedback is to be taken as a positive thing, not a nag or moan.

thanks

shoulders

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm

The JED is actually the highest traffic subdomain we have. Unfortunately that blog isn't well promoted even on their own website and it reflects in the numbers.

As for the 4.0 stuff, there has only been one blog post published on a joomla.org property specifically about it. So the reason you can't find content here is because none exists. The fact there is so little content is a different issue than "I find these videos more informative", it means we aren't doing a good job creating content.

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Perhaps adding some more articles with links to these [youtube] videos. The one in particular was Brian in Israel outlining the future for Joomla 4.0 and I found this refreshing to know more about the future of Joomla than just waiting for the next release. As with joomla the software, the websites can sometimes feel to be written by programmers for programmers.

The conferences are never really promoted on Joomla.org and these are a massive part of the community, after the conference a write up on what happened etc...

"unfortunately that blog isn't well promoted even on their own website and it reflects in the numbers." - Having separate websites can cause some of the issue I have outlined. Teams tend to operate on their own.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”