"Do not buy our kitchens": false-positive fears of site hacking caused by this forum Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
sozzled
I've been banned!

"Do not buy our kitchens": false-positive fears of site hacking caused by this forum

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:25 pm

I've asked about this before; I can't find where I asked about this before but I know I spent an hour or two discussing this issue here on the forum. We were answered in a positive way before. Someone has decided to turn things around and we're back somewhere near where we began before. The previous discussion has been removed from the forum.

See viewtopic.php?f=710&t=954817 for some background.

Like most of my suggestions to this forum, this one will probably be rejected, too. There is nothing inherently wrong with writing the word "kitchens" anywhere on the forum. In the context of the FPA, where people have installed JCE, there is a plugin with a name that includes a string of characters that this forum's auto "bad word" filter objects to; the plugin named WF_KITCHENSINK not a "bad word"; it is not malware, suspicious or something to be afraid of.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: "Do not buy our kitchens": false-positive fears of site hacking caused by this forum

Post by mandville » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:58 pm

oops . edit

you asked for the topic to be removed, it was noted to the mods section for record keeping why the word was on the naughty list
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: "Do not buy our kitchens": false-positive fears of site hacking caused by this forum

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I can't remember where I left my coffee cup this morning let alone whether I asked for a topic to be removed (or the reasons why). The point I'm unsuccessfully trying to make is that, for a brief time (a couple of months) my previous suggest was taken seriously and the FPA reports were able to be read without being censored.

The argument that was given earlier—why kitchen-stuff is naughty—was to deal with an overwhelming spate of kitchen product-related spam. To be honest, I haven't seen continuous or excessively hight rates of kitchen product-related spam on the forum on that many occasions. If the reason was a means of catching those spam posts that weren't detected by humans then (a) it also catches legitimate use of the text and (b) is ineffective in dealing with that kind of rubbish.

I'm also saying that my suggestion will probably suffer the same fate as many of my other suggestions.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:35 pm

But has the problem reoccurred because the spam filter was changed or because code was changed in the plugin?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:58 pm

@Webdongle: There is no problem with JCE; there is no problem with the FPA (the FPA simply reports what it finds). The issue I'm talking about is created by the Joomla forum, leading other forum users to believe that websites using JCE (as one example) contain malware or suspect software.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:52 pm

The spam filter (in the forum) was changed to stop it treating the plugin as spam.
But now the spam filter (in the forum) treats it as spam and replaces with that phrase.
So either the spam filter (in the forum) has been altered or the plugin has changed and the spam filter (in the forum) is replacing it with that phrase?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:24 am

It's of little importance really. Whenever I draw these matters to someone's attention I spend far too much time explaining the obvious or trying to achieve the impossible. The spam filter in the forum was changed, to allow the use of k*itchensink and then it was changed again (less than two months later) to outlaw it. That's my point.

Go back over several years and you will find instances where people have used JCE, where they've posted the FPA, and where the forum "bad word filter" has transliterated it. I don't need to provide examples; the moderator team is aware of the issue. Try it yourself; create a FPA report on one of your websites that uses JCE and see the results on the forum. JCE hasn't changed the naming of this plugin for several years.

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hey

I have removed the word kitchen from the word sensor filter.

Kind regards
Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I know that KITCHEN is not a bad word. KITCHEN was not a bad word before. KITCHEN was never a bad word. @ooffick: if you "removed kitchen" then I don't know what word you removed. "Kitchen" was not a problem before.

The bad word is KITCHENS

Please remove KITCHENS (and therefore KITCHENSINK) from the word censor.

This matter is not fixed.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:07 pm

WF_KITCHENSINK_TITLE (2.6.32)
The offending word is
kitchen
(plural with an s)
kitchen without an s
Not sure where in JCE the fpa finds it

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 pm

That's resolved as well now, it looks like multiple rules were catching this word.

Kind regards
Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”