Does forum.joomla.org use BuySellAds Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
sozzled
I've been banned!

Does forum.joomla.org use BuySellAds

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Over the past week or so, I see AVG display a "warning" message about possible malware (as long as I have my browser active, regardless of the active tab or whether I'm actually doing anything). I'm not unduly concerned; it's just an annoyance.

This is the message that I'm seeing:
bsa_avg.jpg
Looking closer at the URL, there's a reference to EasySocial; evidently, the AVG warning is connected to advertising for Joomla somewhere. I only know of one website that I (occasionally) visit that uses BuySellAds. My question is: does forum.joomla.org use BuySellAds? If the forum does not use BuySellAds, then I think I know the website that is the source of the annoying AVG popup. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Does forum.joomla.org use BuySellAds

Post by Webdongle » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Strange Mcafee blocks BuySellAds but doesn't warn of it when I visit this site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks, @Webdongle. I'm still getting these AVG warnings and I can't find anything on the 'net about recent changes (to whatever) that may be responsible. The curious thing is that, as I wrote earlier, I'm only aware of one website that I visit that uses BuySellAds; regardless of whether I have a browser window open to that [other] website—at the moment it's closed—I seem to get this popup mainly when I visit the forum.

Very strange.

The underlying HTML for this page, for example, doesn't make any reference to BuySellAds (or "bsa" as it's more often referred to), apart from the image that I posted earlier. It may be a false positive; it may be cookie-related (I just cleared the cookies); it may be browser-related ... I'm just trying to track down the source.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 am

Could it be that the site you visit drops some thing on your PC (when the browser is closed) that is set to connect a given time after the browser is reopened?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 am

That's my guess. As I've written: I only know of one website—no names, no packdrill (but you can probably guess)—that uses BSA. I feel sorry for the owners of that website if BSA has been compromised; it may affect their revenue if their site is the source of the issue.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:11 pm

As far as I can tell, forum.joomla.org does not use BuySellAds and is not responsible for the AVG alerts that I have been receiving. I haven't visited that "other site" for a few days and I haven't received any alerts of malware associated with BSA. I'm considering the matter closed. Thanks. :)

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”