When "breaking the rules" is not breaking the rules Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with joomla.org, community.joomla.org, forum.joomla.org, vel.joomla.org.
Forum rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

When "breaking the rules" is not breaking the rules

Post by sozzled » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't often take to a public forum when I see an injustice but I want to bring this matter to the attention of the forum moderation team. I'm a little angry. >:(

A short while ago I was browsing the new posts (as I always do) and I came across a topic posted by @Ulricus (a new user to the forum) in the Open Source Products for Joomla! forum category. As sceptical as I am of anything posted in that forum category that doesn't pass the "pub test" of outright profiteering at the expense of the generosity of the forum, I had a look at the product that @Ulricus was promoting.

It was a kind of "recurring calendar event" package: the source code is located on GitHub. Regardless of the fact that the package was originally intended to be used for organising events associated with a church—that @Ulricus may or may not be specifically identified with—there was no hint of promoting anything religious or (to my way of thinking) anything that could be construed as being against the forum rules.

So I dug deeper into the product and I was really impressed. Believe me when I write that; it takes a lot to impress me these days given that 35% of all new forum users who register here are spammers, 60% of all new accounts are never used, leaving only 5% (that's one in twenty new accounts) who actually post anything worthwhile.

The product was above board; the topic was not "self-promoting"; the topic did not promote anything religious (or political or some other zealotry); the topic conformed, outwardly at least, to the forum rules for the category to which it was posted. If I could have commented, I would have commented, if only to write that I was impressed!

So, I'm wondering, what was "worthwhile" about ripping the heart from someone who has done nothing more than offer us their work; to trash that work? I don't want to name names (I have a feeling I know who canned the topic) but I think a private apology from that person to @Ulricus would be in order, don't you think?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: When "breaking the rules" is not breaking the rules

Post by toivo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Let's not waste everyone's time. The forum Open Source Products for Joomla! has special rules that were not followed.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: When "breaking the rules" is not breaking the rules

Post by sozzled » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Then make the rules plain and simple. The fact that the product had not been listed in the JED (and, goodness knows how long it takes for extensions to get listed on the JED) is not exclusively or comprehensively a justification for removing posts in the Open Source Products for Joomla! forum category.

The forum rules for that category state "The first place you will want to 'advertise' your product is the Extensions Site, so is your product published there?" That's just asking a question. If we want to apply a hard and fast rule about excluding products that aren't on the JED, then let's be upfront about it.

This would also eliminate the "call for beta testers", too!

Say this instead: "This forum category will not accept advertisements for products that do not meet the criteria for being listed on the JED. This means that only those products that are incapable of being listed on the JED will be allowed in this forum category." That means that only templates and non-Joomla-related offerings would be accepted.

Is that what we want? Maybe @Ulricus wasn't ready to have their product listed on the JED? Maybe the announcement—now removed—was a call for "beta testers"? Unfortunately we have no way of knowing. I made a note of the URL about the "recurring event calendar" package for J!; it was a good thing that I was quick about it, too.

To @Ulricus: you fell foul of the forum rules. It happens to all of us.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”