Bogus user accounts that spam the Joomla! Forum

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
sozzled
I've been banned!

Bogus user accounts that spam the Joomla! Forum

Post by sozzled » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Is anything being done or likely to be done in the next few months to arrest the growing amount of bogus user accounts that generate forum spam here?

This is an important question and I should like it to be given serious consideration. I don't think it's fair on those of us who use this forum (regardless of whether we're "ordinary" users or moderators) to have to deal with the daily flood of garbage that wastes everyone's time. I am not aware of any other technical discussion forum relating to Joomla that has the quantity of spam as this one has. It's not a good look for new users to this forum, who ask questions in good faith (and, generally, have those questions answered fairly quickly), to have their discussion topics vandalised by spammers whose only intent is to wreck the good work that we try to do.

I've asked similar questions in the past; there have been a few minor changes made (and that's a good thing) but the situation has worsened and I'm sure that, if there was a willingness to do something, something can be done. It shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

Is there anything that any of us can do to help?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Bogus user accounts that spam the Joomla! Forum

Post by Webdongle » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:41 pm

It's this 'perfect world' that we live in. The only way to stop spam registration is to disallow any registration (even then they would find a way).
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 am

Thanks, @Webdongle, but that's not the answer (to completely disallow user registration). Further, no-one's seeking a perfect solution; that's not what I implied. I am addressing my question in relation to the management of this forum.

As far as other forums are concerned, the occurrence of bogus account registration is not as bad as it is with this forum. The problem is that this forum is a bigger target—a more attractive target, one could say—that attracts—dare I say, welcomes with open arms—bogus account registrations. Because of the resulting spam created via these accounts, the rest of us receive spam email via this forum. Most of my spam email comes from this forum. Because of the proliferation of spam email generated by this forum, the reputation of the Joomla project and everyone who is connected with it suffers.

In conclusion, is there anything that we can do—that anyone can do—to help?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 am

sozzled wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 am
Thanks, @Webdongle, but that's not the answer (to completely disallow user registration). Further, no-one's seeking a perfect solution; that's not what I implied. I am addressing my question in relation to the management of this forum.
you know full well that was sarcasm not a suggestion. As for the management of the forum what is your complaint about the way they do things?

sozzled wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:11 am
As far as other forums are concerned, the occurrence of bogus account registration is not as bad as it is with this forum. The problem is that this forum is a bigger target—a more attractive target. ...
And there you go ... you have just answered your own question. Obvious in the end ;)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 am

This was a serious question and I'm disappointed that the most-prolific contributor to this forum could resort to sarcasm as a response. I wasn't being sarcastic in my reply to you and I would appreciate the same level of respect that I have shown to you to be returned in kind.

I did not suggest that "the way they do things" (whoever "they" may be) was to be criticised. I only offered my observations based on personal experience and I doubt that anyone could be offended by what I wrote.

I don't understand the circuitous logic that you suggest that I've answered my own question. I asked two questions and I should appreciate a sincere reply; not a reply with the intention of making me appear to be guilty for just asking questions. If your view is a view shared by a large cohort of people who use this forum, that one should refrain from asking "self-answered" questions about the way this forum is run, then it speaks volumes about respect ... or the lack thereof.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 am

My point is that it is nigh impossible to stop bogus registrations and to prevent spam. The forum is very active and therefore (as you pointed out " a more attractive target").

My sarcasm was because it is blatently obvious that (when spam posts appear) we delete them. Also seems obvious to me is that the way to help is report them when we see them.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”