Multiple accounts for the Joomla estate is stupid

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Multiple accounts for the Joomla estate is stupid

Post by shoulders » Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 am

Hi

I currently have an account for the following:
  • docs.joomla.org
  • magazine.joomla.org
  • forum.joomla.org
  • extensions.joomla.org
  • joomla.org
This is stupid and does not help for user engagement. Users should (in most cases) only need one account for all of these assets.

I hope you dont need an account for each of these

joomla.org
joomla.org/3
api.joomla.org
certification.joomla.org
community.joomla.org
community.joomla.org/joomla-training.html
developer.joomla.org
docs.joomla.org
domains.joomla.org
downloads.joomla.org
extensions.joomla.org
forum.joomla.org
foundation.joomla.org
framework.joomla.org
help.joomla.org
issues.joomla.org
launch.joomla.org
magazine.joomla.org
resources.joomla.org
showcase.joomla.org
tm.joomla.org
update.joomla.org
volunteers.joomla.org
shop.joomla.org
opensourcematters.org
joomlacode.org
identity.joomla.org

taken from https://www.joomla.org/privacy-policy.html/

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Multiple accounts for the Joomla estate is stupid

Post by sozzled » Fri May 21, 2021 8:06 am

Yes, you need a separate account for each of these.

Each area is separately administered and there is no coordination between the separate groups. Each area has different rules regarding conduct; some areas have quite specific rules about what is acceptable and what isn't. It's not a question about being sensible or about the privacy issues or about needing one account for everything.

If you has one account for everything then if you infracted the rules in one place you could be disbarred from all places. As far as "user engagement" is concerned, don't make me laugh!

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Fri May 21, 2021 8:15 am

Wow, what a crazy situation.
As far as "user engagement" is concerned, don't make me laugh!
I have stopped posting bugs and features. I wont go into why, but it is like hitting a brick wall.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri May 21, 2021 8:28 am

shoulders wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:15 am
I have stopped posting bugs and features.
If you are referring to
  1. viewforum.php?f=728; and
  2. viewforum.php?f=575
a. The "bug reporting" forum was a relic from an ancient time when this forum provided an opportunity for people to discuss potential software defects with the CMS. That purpose no longer exists and, in my opinion, that forum should be locked and discontinued from use. Discussions about CMS software defects no longer occur on this forum; those issues are only dealt with on GitHub. For some reason, the forum management team has retained the "bug reporting for J! 3.x" forum and re-purposed it to ask any question about anything that's remotely related to unique circumstances that people have with writing "code". I don't visit that forum.

b. The "ideas" forum is also a relic from an ancient time when there was an opportunity to suggest features/ideas etc. That purpose no longer exists either—it, too, has been moved to GitHub—and that forum should also be locked and discontinued from use. The "ideas" forum has now become a place where people generally criticise the project or criticise people who reply to their criticisms.

It would be good to see someone take out the trash.

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Fri May 21, 2021 8:40 am

No, I am referring to posting bugs and features on Github which are now just traiged and then pushed to discussions or just closed with no explanation.

I also agree that the vestigual forum threads/topics should be locked as it is confusing. There should only be one place to report bugs and new features.

I do miss ideas.joomla.org as this was great for the non-technical of us which had great ideas.

There seems to be a pattern of many different groups all doing there own thing which are loosly connected. Perhaps when Covid is over these groups might all have a sitdown and knitt the different groups back into a single entity, Like, dare I say, Wordpress.

Joomla is by far the better platform so should be the market leader.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 am

shoulders wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:40 am
No, I am referring to posting bugs and features on Github which are now just traiged and then pushed to discussions or just closed with no explanation.
Oh! Sorry, I thought we were discussing accounts that are related to *joomla.org.

shoulders wrote:
I do miss ideas.joomla.org as this was great for the non-technical of us which had great ideas.
Apparently the powers that be don't share your opinion, regrettably. I, too, wish that the Joomla! community could sit down together and discuss things honestly, openly and candidly—warts and all. Regrettably, this forum is open to continual abuse and the forum management team has not demonstrated any commitment to rid us of this menace.

COVID is just an excuse ... and it won't be "over" for years! By the same token, the problems we have with J! won't be resolved for years, too.

shoulders wrote:
Joomla is by far the better platform so should be the market leader.
I agree that the structure of the J! CMS is better than other alternatives but facts are facts: J! is number three at the moment and I predict it will be number four by the end of this year.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 pm

+100 @shoulders
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:40 am

This is maybe something to discuss and improve for leadership? I have mention this long time and could maybe be solved be a multisite Joomla 4 solution in future?

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 am

@darb

For me as an end user this is a must and probably a reason why there is not as much user interaction. A lot of people dont use lastpass/1pass/password managers and I am sure this also encourages users to use the same password across multiple sites.

This situation has probably happend because different parts of the joomla team are silo'ed (i.e. multiple blogs).

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”