2015 Budget Feedback & Discussion

This board is for discussions about joomla.org blog posts.
Forum rules
Global Rules
vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

2015 Budget Feedback & Discussion

Post by vdrover » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:15 pm

This topic is open for discussion of the proposed 2015 budget as described in detail on the Leadership blog in a post entitled Twenty goals for the Joomla project in 2015.
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: 2015 Budget Feedback & Discussion

Post by vdrover » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Note 1: The complete proposed budget can be found here.

Note 2: Here is the complete lost of Goals and Objectives for 2015:

1. Release new Joomla versions smoothly and consistently, -$5,300
-1.1. Introduce CMS Release Teams,$0, PLT
-1.2. Reduce the time from pull request to code merge, $0, PLT
-1.3. Improve Release Workflow, -$5,300, PLT

2. Encourage development of new features with a high probability of acceptance, $0
-2.1. Introduce a new feature life-cycle management process, $0, PLT
-2.2. Reinvigorate the Production Working Groups, $0, PLT

3. Improve product quality, -$59,375
-3.1. Increase the number of bug squash events worldwide, -$11,375, PLT
-3.2. Create more sprint opportunities, -$48,000, PLT
-3.3. Increase the scope and coverage of testing in the CMS, $0, PLT
-3.4. Increase the scope and coverage of documentation, $0, PLT
-3.5. Improve and extend coding standards, $0, PLT
-3.6. Enforce pre-commit documentation compliance, $0, PLT
-3.7. Increase pre-release testing, $0, PLT

4. Improve internationalisation and localisation of the CMS, $0
-4.1 Improve translation team processes, $0, PLT
-4.2. Develop and release com_localise, $0, PLT
-4.3. Improve the user interface for multi-language websites, $0, PLT

5. Start planning for the next major version of the CMS, $0
-5.1. Define and document the vision for the next major version, $0, PLT

6. Increase adoption of the Joomla Framework, -$35,350
-6.1. Participate in the Google Summer of Code 2015, $0, PLT
-6.2. Increase attendance and speaking engagements, -$35,350, PLT
-6.3. More sample code and examples of best practice, $0, PLT
-6.4. Continue marketing of the Framework, $0, PLT
-6.5. Review CLA workflow and update if required, $0, PLT

7. Increase adoption of the Joomla CMS, -$84,150

-7.1. Participate in the Google Summer of Code 2015, $0, GSOC Team
--7.1.1. Increase attraction and awareness of the GSoC Program in the Joomla Community, -$3,800, GSOC Team
--7.1.2. Increase mentor retention rate by bringing mentors to Joomla Event, -$20,000, GSOC Team
--7.1.3. Encourage student community participation by bringing students to Joomla event, -$20,000, GSOC Team
--7.1.4. Bring admins to a Joomla event to meet and encourage student and mentor retention, -$9,000, GSOC Team
--7.1.5. Participate in GSoC, $4,000, GSOC Team

-7.2. Increase attendance and speaking engagements, -$35,350, PLT
-7.3. More sample code and examples of best practice, $0, PLT
-7.4. Continue marketing of the CMS, $0, PLT
-7.5. Review CLA workflow and update if required, $0, PLT

8. Understand our users better, $0
-8.1. Gather anonymous usage information, $0, PLT
-8.2. Gather more detailed download information, $0, PLT
-8.3. Gather more information from GitHub, $0, PLT
-8.4. Poll users on relevant topics, $0, PLT

9. Increase front-enders use of Joomla, $0
-9.1. Release Joomla 3.5 with improvements for front-enders, $0, PLT

10. Create a sustainable infrastructure for the project, -$32,500.00
-10.1. Redesign & Upgrade of our joomla.org websites, $0, CLT
-10.2. Improve quality of images used in official articles and resources, -$500, CLT
-10.3. Facilitate communication and productivity in official working groups, -$30,000, CLT
-10.4. Support local Joomla Days, $0, CLT
-10.6. Integrate templates into the Joomla Extensions Directory, -$2,000, CLT
-10.6. Maintain strong collaboration with leadership teams, $0, CLT

11. Increase awareness and use of the Joomla brand among web developers, -$245,700
-11.1. Promote 10 Year Anniversary of Joomla!, -$10,000, CLT
-11.2. Raise awareness of Joomla among web developers at non-Joomla events, -$50,000, CLT
-11.3. Support our community in communicating effectively, -$8,000, CLT
-11.4. Increase promotion of Joomla worldwide to increase market share to 0.5%, -$80,000, FiT (existing Sensis contract)
-11.5. Encourage the formation of JUGs in non-native English speaking countries, -$10,000, CLT
-11.6. Encourage the development of meaningful relationships with the broader Joomla community, -$10,000, CLT
-11.7. Promote Joomla when invited to represent the project at events, -$27,700, CLT
-11.8. Grow and engage the Joomla community in Asia, -$50,000, JWC Team

12. Determine baseline for key project metrics, -$7,340
-12.1. Proactive monitoring of SEO and brand mentions, -$2,390, CLT
-12.2. Monitoring & resolving negative SEO, -$1,700, CLT
-12.3. Keeping updated with industry trends, -$1,250, CLT
-12.4. Improve transparency by creating a community dashboard, -$2,000, CLT

13. Facilitate volunteerism within the project, -$68,600
-13.1. Attend/facilitate more introductory events especially younger people, teachers, lecturers, $0, CLT
-13.2. Show appreciation to our volunteers, -$10,000, CLT
-13.3. Support community involvement at official Joomla Events, -$58,600, CLT

14. Launch the Joomla Certification Program, -$20,000
-14.1. Launch Joomla Administrator Certification in at least two languages, -$10,000, Certification Team
-14.2. Create Joomla Developer Certification in at least two languages, -$5,000, Certification Team
-14.3. Create Training Outline for Joomla Administrator and Joomla Developer, $0, Certification Team
-14.4. Create awareness about Joomla Certification Program to Joomla!Days and to JUGs, -$5,000, Certification Team
-14.5. Create awareness about the Joomla Certification Program to Training Companies and Schools, $0, Certification Team

15. Improve infrastructure project-wide, $0
-15.1. A more understandable structure with defined positions and methodology, $0, Structure Team
-15.2. Distributing decision making effectively, $0, Structure Team
-15.3. Placing trust in individuals and teams, $0, Structure Team
-15.4. Increase transparency & communication, $0, Structure Team
-15.5. Empowering more people to get involved, stay motivated and have FUN, $0, Structure Team

16. Create a culture of financial transparency, -$17,500
-16.1. Implement a project-wide Financial Policy, $0, FiT
-16.2. Decentralize financial decision making, $0, FiT
-16.3. Decouple transaction processing from accounting/bank account reconciliation, -$5,000, FiT
-16.4. Improve budget process with community feedback, $0, FiT
-16.5. Improve budget process by codifying policy for creating a balanced budget, $0, FiT
-16.6. Improve classification and categorization in [spam], $0, FiT
-16.7. Improve reporting for teams and working groups, -$2,000, FiT
-16.8. Reconcile books and complete taxes by March 1st, -$10,500, FiT

17. Improve financial sustainability, $328,505
-17.1. Create payment/transaction workflows for receiving sponsorship, -$1,000, FiT
-17.2. Create payment/transaction workflows for ad hoc expenses, -$100, FiT
-17.3. Recruit and train an Assistant Banker for FiT, $0, FiT
-17.4. Recruit and train an Assistant Bookkeeper for FiT, $0, FiT
-17.5. Begin investing in Mutual Funds. , $2,805, FiT
-17.6. Hold finance sprint to prepare books and reports for budget season, -$10,000, FiT
-17.7. Launch new demo site and Joomla.com sites to earn reliable affiliate revenue , $225,000, FiT
-17.8. Maintain Adwords revenue with new JED launch, $132,000, FiT
-17.9. Hold a single, well-planned single leadership summit, -$19,000, OSM
-17.10. Maintain Directors Insurance for OSM board members, -$1, 200, FiT

18. Provide a sustainable infrastructure for internal trademark management, -$6,000
-18.1. Provide for orderly support and renewal of domains used for regional JUGs and JDays, -$6,000, Trademark Team
-18.2. Manage and consolidate registrations of OSM-owned domains, $0, Trademark Team
-18.3. Identify and separate budgets that are discretionary v. reactionary and trademark v. general legal, $0, Trademark Team
-18.4. Promote consistent application of approval standards across all Joomla Directories, $0, Trademark Team

19. Provide a sustainable infrastructure for external trademark management, -$79,000
-19.1. Monitor and defend against misuse, dilution and infringement of the Joomla trademark worldwide, -$75,000, Trademark -Team
-19.2. Fill gaps in registrations of the Joomla Trade Name and Brand Mark in all active lines of business, -$4,000, Trademark Team
-19.3. Educate service providers and developers concerning best practices for doing business in the Joomla market, $0, Trademark Team

20. Increase sponsorship revenue, $155,070
-20.1. SponsorPitch License for Sponsorship marketing campaign, -$900, Capital Team
-20.2. Meet with large sponsor(s) & partner(s) face to face, -$5,000, Capital Team
-20.3. Web based sponsor application and sign up process, $0, Capital Team
-20.4. New Global Sponsorship Program, $189,170, Capital Team
-20.5. Promote Joomla when invited to represent the project at events, -$29,200, OSM
-20.6. Improve Joomla shop and add more products, $1,000, Capital Team
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Victor:

I see focus on financial transparency listed on your goals. However, you only post limited financial information on the Open Source Matters, Inc. - Public Mailing list which few people realize even exists. How about posting on the OSM web site regularly each month at http://opensourcematters.org/about/finances.html which is already structured for financial reports and is more likely to be known by the public. It would also be helpful if you would post each month the following reports which I remember from my days as treasurer rather easy to generate from [spam] Online:
  • Balance Sheet
  • Budget compared to actual year-to-date
  • P&L Statement
It would also increase financial transparency if the IRS financial filings were posted in a timely fashion at this OSM location http://opensourcematters.org/about/fina ... lings.html The last posted IRS report was for 2012 and I suspect that the 2013 was filed some time ago and probably should be posted.
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Vic, thanks for posting the information. With reference particularly to points 1 though 9, are there any measurements attached to those goals to give us an idea of what constitutes "meeting" the goal (the same does apply to the other points, but my personal interest is only for PLT type stuff)?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 am

dhuelsmann wrote:How about posting on the OSM web site regularly each month at http://opensourcematters.org/about/finances.html which is already structured for financial reports and is more likely to be known by the public. It would also be helpful if you would post each month the following reports which I remember from my days as treasurer rather easy to generate from [spam] Online:
  • Balance Sheet
  • Budget compared to actual year-to-date
  • P&L Statement
Hi Dave,

The reports are indeed easy to prepare. I've simply been too short-handed and have not prioritized this. It's something I am looking for FiT to improve upon in 2015. The reality of the matter is that our budget has grown quite large, and volunteers are spending most of their time issuing invoices to sponsors and categorizing bank transactions. It leaves little time for much else, especially with the 3-month budget process followed by tax season.

The idea for 2015 will be to get some professional help doing the time-consuming and tedious work of categorizing the bank transactions and reconciling the books. My hope is that we will get the reporting in a much better position then also.

As for transparency, it's an important issue for me personally and increasing transparency was one of my personal goals as a board member. I have spent more time making it easier for team members to see their budget status (i.e. the monthly reports you mentioned above) and also on a project-wide financial policy that was first delivered to the project leadership at the 2015 summit in Mexico. Please feel welcome to add your comments (get in line ;) ) here.

I appreciate your feedback and will work to have done better next year, assuming they allow me to continue on as Treasurer :)
Last edited by vdrover on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Drover

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:17 am

masterchief wrote:Vic, thanks for posting the information. With reference particularly to points 1 though 9, are there any measurements attached to those goals to give us an idea of what constitutes "meeting" the goal (the same does apply to the other points, but my personal interest is only for PLT type stuff)?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Andrew. If you look at the CLT Objectives, some are indeed starting to look at better metrics for the project. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to answer these questions as they relate specifically to the PLT.

As the chief financial officer however, I do have some control over spending justification, financial policy in general (see prior reply to Dave), accounting controls, spending reports, etc...

In that regard, my goal this year was to align our spending in ways that more accurately represents our leadership structure (eg: Google Summer of Code is no longer in the OSM budget. It's been moved to PLT as it belongs very clearly with code-related expenses. Events are now all under CLT. etc..) while simultaneously having clear, concrete Objectives. In my opinion, the 2015 Goals and Objectives are the best yet at being concise, clear and purposeful.

The leadership teams and budget liaisons appear to be really getting the hang of this part of the budget process, and for the 2016 budget I do hope to start moving us towards expected, measurable outcomes. Item 5(c) of the DRAFT financial policy document that I have just added describes this also: "Codify a budget process that focuses on measurable goals."

These changes won't happen overnight, and some things like events are hard to measure for ROI, but they are my short-to-medium range goals.
Victor Drover

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks Vic. I think the problem is that your blog is announcing "goals" but what it's really about is the budget.

I'd probably would have broken the messaging into two announcements - here are the goals (and can we get feedback on that) and next here is the budget and how it relates to the goals set (and can we get feedback on the how much we are spending on a goal, not quibbling over the goal itself).

That's what's causing me confusion because the goals aren't goals unless they are measurable.

With that in mind, then, I have a few financial questions and observations.

What does the allocation on 1.3 cover?

What's the planned detail behind the 3.1 and 3.2 allocations (is it travel, is it pizza, what's the breakup and what scale are we talking)?

Object 5.1, in my opinion needs face-to-face time and I would have expected to see some budget there (it's only the most important discussion the project can be having right now).

I don't think objective 6.2 is as important for budget as is physically getting adoption within the CMS itself. I'd suggest putting budget into getting contractors to help catch up with, for example, documentation (look at Laravel's site, look at ours … enough said).

For Goal 8, I'd seriously consider allocating some budget to get some professional market research done (pinch it from the Framework budget).

As an aside, Goal 9 needs to go back to the drawing board in my opinion. What does it really mean?
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:53 pm

To be honest I am pretty confused by the whole thing.

Why is it the treasurer in the budget announcing the "Twenty goals for the Joomla project in 2015" ?

Surely the aims come first and the budget allocation comes second - not the other way around (which this sounds like).

And I am still confused by the financial information published in the last Budget vs. Actuals - FY2014 report as posted here https://groups.google.com/d/topic/open- ... discussion

The project organised two conferences in 2014 (JWC and DevCon)
Were the total registration fees really only $3247.22 and sponsorship only $39,601.43

If those figures are true they are truly shocking.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:27 am

Not my place to answer, but I'll try to share what I'm aware of based on my own involvement in this process.
masterchief wrote:What does the allocation on 1.3 cover?
This is primarily for premium services with GitHub (private repositories) and Travis-CI. In 2014 we had budgeted for a premium Travis-CI account to support our private GitHub repos (for example, the JSST coordinates code here) but had not followed through on setting this up. Prior to my leaving, there was discussion again on setting this service up this year.
masterchief wrote:What's the planned detail behind the 3.1 and 3.2 allocations (is it travel, is it pizza, what's the breakup and what scale are we talking)?
I can't speak for Roland's plans regarding 3.1 and the bug squash events, but for 3.2, our in-person code sprints in 2013 and 2014 usually ran in the $6000 range (from the data I remember, I don't have access to all of the info anymore). So this would account for the possibility of 8 in-person sprints in 2015, potentially more if events receive sponsorship (as the automated testing sprint in October did).
masterchief wrote:Object 5.1, in my opinion needs face-to-face time and I would have expected to see some budget there (it's only the most important discussion the project can be having right now).
I think I agree with this fully and would suggest that some of the budget for sprints could be focused on this goal similar to the Architecture Sprint in 2014 (reference: https://docs.joomla.org/Code_sprints).
masterchief wrote:I don't think objective 6.2 is as important for budget as is physically getting adoption within the CMS itself. I'd suggest putting budget into getting contractors to help catch up with, for example, documentation (look at Laravel's site, look at ours … enough said).
Getting Framework code adopted in the CMS is a cost-free item and is happening (George and I have gotten a few packages incorporated into 3.4 and we're continuing to look at which packages can be added in a backward compatible manner until we get as much of the Framework v1 stack in as practical). As for promotion of the Framework, this is an area I took a heavy interest in and highly suggested that we encourage participants in conferences beyond our own. In 2014, we have had an opportunity to promote Joomla (CMS and Framework) at events such as php[world] and in 2015 we hope to be at more events (I've personally answered 3 CfP's for 2015 events thus far). And as far as documentation goes, it's an area that needs to be a major focus.
brian wrote:Surely the aims come first and the budget allocation comes second - not the other way around (which this sounds like).
Unless things massively changed after my departure from PLT, I can assure you (at least where I was involved) that the teams had projected goals in place before assigning dollar values to items. You and Andrew hit the nail on the head with regards to how the budget and goals have been presented in this manner.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:46 pm

brian wrote:Why is it the treasurer in the budget announcing the "Twenty goals for the Joomla project in 2015" ?
Because I spent 4 months organizing the process and am the only one who is looking across the entire project for goals.
brian wrote:Surely the aims come first and the budget allocation comes second - not the other way around (which this sounds like).
The announcement lists the 5 phases of the budget process and contains a link to the full process document. They are both under the sub-heading "Budget Process". You'll note Goal setting, objective setting and then budget allocation, in that order. Please let me know if you have more questions after review the full process document.
brian wrote:The project organised two conferences in 2014 (JWC and DevCon)
Were the total registration fees really only $3247.22 and sponsorship only $39,601.43. If those figures are true they are truly shocking.
I have to check if the JWC ticket revenue is there. Our accounting software has had an ongoing issue connecting to our bank to download transactions and I am guessing the JWC ticket sales are affected. We will be reconciling the Nov. and Dec. bank statements in preparation for tax season, and I'll find the answer at that time.
Victor Drover

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:53 pm

It looks like the version you posted last night has the registration fees for JWC now - thanks

And sorry I completely missed the link to the process

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

masterchief wrote:Thanks Vic. I think the problem is that your blog is announcing "goals" but what it's really about is the budget
As I noted above to Brian, the Goals and Objectives are set separately from any budget assignments. They are the stated goals of the project for 2015.
masterchief wrote:I'd probably would have broken the messaging into two announcements - here are the goals (and can we get feedback on that) and next here is the budget and how it relates to the goals set (and can we get feedback on the how much we are spending on a goal, not quibbling over the goal itself).
That's an option, but I chose to combine them as we are already 1 month late in getting this approved. My goal was an approved budget before the end of 2014, but I failed. Now time is critical as most spending is frozen pending an approved budget.
masterchief wrote:What's the planned detail behind the 3.1 and 3.2 allocations (is it travel, is it pizza, what's the breakup and what scale are we talking)?
They are for PBF and code Sprints, so mostly travel and venue expenses. You can search the full budget for these codes to see the exact break-down:
8310_PLT_QualityAssurance_PBF
8320_PLT_QualityAssurance_PBF
8310_PLT_QualityAssurance_Sprints
8320_PLT_QualityAssurance_Sprints
masterchief wrote:Object 5.1, in my opinion needs face-to-face time and I would have expected to see some budget there (it's only the most important discussion the project can be having right now).
I agree, but none was requested.
masterchief wrote:I don't think objective 6.2 is as important for budget as is physically getting adoption within the CMS itself. I'd suggest putting budget into getting contractors to help catch up with, for example, documentation (look at Laravel's site, look at ours … enough said).

For Goal 8, I'd seriously consider allocating some budget to get some professional market research done (pinch it from the Framework budget).
The Framework remains an important goal for the Joomla project as Michael elaborated on.
Victor Drover

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Am I missing something, I probably am, but I dont see a budget item for sponsoring joomladay events. Perhaps it is aggregated into another item?

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:25 am

My first question is the same as what Brian is asking: What happened to the budget item for JoomlaDay events?
  • In the 2014 Budget we had an item under:
8320-*** Conferences, conventions, meetings
8320_OSM_Events_JoomlaDay $52,000

There's no such entry under the 2015 budget 8320-*** heading.

To fund this:
As an approved JoomlaDay you can get fiscal support from OSM. If you are organizing a JoomlaDay for the first time, there will be a support of $2500 USD. The usual amount is $1500.00 USD for subsequent annual events
http://events.joomla.org/how-to-organize-a-joomla-day

I did ask one of the Events Team co-leads, but he had no idea.
  • Is there more information available about this new Marketing contract:

-11.4. Increase promotion of Joomla worldwide to increase market share to 0.5%, -$80,000, FiT (existing Sensis contract)

• Could you provide more details on this:
5320-*** Dividends & interest - securities
5320_OSM_FiT_Sustainability $26,805 Vic Drover Mutual Funds value, see account 8580 for expenditure.
8580-*** Contingency provisions
8580_OSM_FiT_Sustainability $24,000 Vic Drover Mutual Funds investment, see account 5320 for revenues.

Are these investments risk-free?
  • $10,000 was budgeted with the 2014 budget for a charitable contribution to the SFLC:
8590_OSM_Gifts $10,000
There's no indication (that I could find) from the most recent Budget vs Actuals for 2014 that this was paid over to them, and $0 for 2015? (if you are using the same budget line)
  • You mention the following above:
And on the linked spreadsheet you have:
7520_OSM_FiT_Transparency $7,000 Vic Drover Professional accounting assistant + reporting revamp
What would be the responsibilities of a Assistant Bookkeeper in comparison to the current Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer?
  • Would I be correct in saying that the mentioned $75,000 is not only for Trademark legal help and enforcement, but includes all legal assistance (Contracts, Legal documents/terms, legal advice about various things)? I know for instance that in 2013/2014 a relatively big amount was spent on various RFP-related contracts.
-19.1. Monitor and defend against misuse, dilution and infringement of the Joomla trademark worldwide, -$75,000, Trademark -Team
  • Who is this Travel budget item for?
-20.5. Promote Joomla when invited to represent the project at events, -$29,200, OSM
8310_OSM_Captial_Sponsorship_Events $29,200 Rod Martin
I'm guessing that it might be the travel budget for the OSM board, but the "Capital_Sponsorship" part confuses me.

thanks,

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:19 am

The line item
-11.8. Grow and engage the Joomla community in Asia, -$50,000, JWC Team

Does that mean that the JWC event runs at a loss of 50k and needs to be subsidised. Its impossible to tell from the published accounts if JWC 14 ran at a loss or not.

Surely JWC should be an income stream.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am

The line item

Is that a realistic target based on experience. Its not a small sum - what happens if the Capital Team do not raise that amount? What are the consequences for the budget?

219jondn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by 219jondn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

hi Brian,

I can answer specifically about JWC, if that helps.

The JWC is self-sustaining. The costs to actually put on the core of a conference are covered by ticket sales, and sponsorships. JWC14, while it did have an available budget from OSM to the tune of some 60,000USD if I recall correctly, did not use any of that, and was self sustaining, returning a marginal profit to the project.

In keeping with our goals as a conference of reaching out, and engaging global communities that we don't normally interact with as much, the JWC team set out some goals and plans to accomplish that, adding an outreach aspect to the conference, and using JWC as a tool to grow our global community. To accomplish some of those goals, we set reasonable estimates of costs for several action items, and submitted that as a request to OSM - significantly reducing the funds allocated to JWC from the OSM budget, while at the same time making sure that we are using them efficiently.

To recap, the actual conference itself and associated costs are wholly funded by ticket sales and sponsorships. The reduced budget available from the project this year reflects an added aspect of outreach and engagement with new users, and communities in the host region.

Hopefully that helps clear things up :)
Last edited by 219jondn on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respectfully,
Jon Neubauer
Tweet at me @219jondn

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Brian, this budget item seems to be missing from the above Objectives list, and may answer your question about the JWC budgeted income/expence (as far as I understand the budget spreadsheet) :

4021-*** Event Sponsorship
4021_CLT_AWARENESS_JWC15 $60,000 Martijn Boomsma Sponsorships for JWC15

The most recent Budget vs Actuals for 2014 (that might not be up to date), shows the following for 2014:
4021 Event Sponsorship 40 101.43 70 000.00 (Actual / Budget)

This item has zero budgeted for 2015:
5810-*** Special events - non-gift revenue (was used last budget for event ticket sales income)

This is the spreadsheet that's linked from the announcement:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
(It might be easier to look at some items there, or along with the goal descriptions)

In reference to your other question to Vic, my general comment is that past income, can be a reasonable indication of future income (the rest is just guessing), and the income (that may not be up to date) for Non-event Sponsorship for 2014 is said to be $144,600.
So that makes it important that the 2014 Budget vs Actuals are up to date, otherwise it would be impossible to see where there was overspending or underspending, or too low or too high estimates.

Edit: I was posting at the same time as Jon. My comments are from what I see on the budget spreadsheet, and past public financials, and I don't have specific insight into the JWC financials. A report from the JWC about the event might be useful to clear up miss-conceptions. :)

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks Jon and Jacques for clearing up that part. I hadnt thought it necessary to compare the two documents for differences. I guess I am too used to reading corporate reports from accountants together with annotations to spot that descriptions may have changed but codes have remained the same.

This is the problem with combining the project goals and the approved budget for the year. It isn't easy to see the changes

For example the spreadsheet shows that non event sponsorship goal is an increase of 5% - entirely reasonable. but the list at the top of this page says
Increase sponsorship revenue,

Which I obviously mistakenly read as NEW additional sponsorships

jessicadunbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jessicadunbar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm

JacquesR wrote:
  • Is there more information available about this new Marketing contract:

that is a CLT budget item. Vic is the owner since it is for a contract signed by OSM for which he's responsible for paying.

Otherwise you can follow everything https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... ublic-list
http://volunteers.joomla.org/working-gr ... ng#reports
Jessica Dunbar
Follow Me
Twitter : https://twitter.com/jessicadunbar/

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:08 pm

brian wrote:Am I missing something, I probably am, but I dont see a budget item for sponsoring joomladay events. Perhaps it is aggregated into another item?
That is accurate. Olaf is waiting on some numbers from me and I believe he plans to rectify it.
Victor Drover

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 pm

So just to be 100% clear

This is not THE budget or THE aims for 2015 - it has not been ratified by OSM, PLT or CLT

This is a proposed budget and aims for 2015

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 pm

The budget has not yet been submitted to OSM for approval. We are currently in this phase:

"Submit for community feedback and approval by the board of Open Source Matters"
Victor Drover

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification - it certainly wasn't clear that this was the current status.

I truly appreciate the openness i this post just not sure posting it where it was posted and that the language sed truly identified that it was only a suggestion at this time.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

brian wrote:It looks like the version you posted last night has the registration fees for JWC now - thanks

And sorry I completely missed the link to the process
I have not made any changes to the full budget since I published the blog post. And note that for the first 2 days, most of the links in the document had quotation marks where they should not be, thus breaking the links.
Victor Drover

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:51 pm

brian wrote:Thanks for the clarification - it certainly wasn't clear that this was the current status.

I truly appreciate the openness i this post just not sure posting it where it was posted and that the language sed truly identified that it was only a suggestion at this time.
"Proposed" is the word I'd use. Updating blog post now to clarify.
Victor Drover

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 am

Can I request you put that word in the title.

(Now I understand why I didnt see the accompanying docs when I first read the post - they weren't in there :) )

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 am

jessicadunbar wrote: that is a CLT budget item. Vic is the owner since it is for a contract signed by OSM for which he's responsible for paying.

Otherwise you can follow everything https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... ublic-list
http://volunteers.joomla.org/working-gr ... ng#reports
Thank you Jessica for taking the time to reply, and for those links! :)

I do understand that this is a CLT budget item. Since this is a sizeable new contract, you could perhaps consider doing a community blogpost about it, including some of the general aims of this contract?

One may find same information on your forum or in the reports, but I'm not sure too many people would know about or find those.

vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by vdrover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks to all for your participation in this thread.

Based on your feedback, the following items are being modified:
-10.3. Facilitate communication and productivity in official working groups, -$30,000, CLT
-10.4. Support local Joomla Days, $0, CLT
-11.5. Encourage the formation of JUGs in non-native English speaking countries, -$10,000, CLT
-11.6. Encourage the development of meaningful relationships with the broader Joomla community, -$10,000, CLT
-11.7. Promote Joomla when invited to represent the project at events, -$27,700, CLT
-13.2. Show appreciation to our volunteers, -$10,000, CLT
-13.3. Support community involvement at official Joomla Events, -$58,600, CLT
The updated totals are:
-10.3. Facilitate communication and productivity in official working groups, -$27,000, CLT
-10.4. Support local Joomla Days, $48,000, CLT
-11.5. Encourage the formation of JUGs in non-native English speaking countries, -$5,000, CLT
-11.6. Encourage the development of meaningful relationships with the broader Joomla community, -$0, CLT
-11.7. Promote Joomla when invited to represent the project at events, -$16,300, CLT
-13.2. Show appreciation to our volunteers, -$5,000, CLT
-13.3. Support community involvement at official Joomla Events, -$45,000, CLT
These numbers have been incorporated into the previously shared budget documents. These updated docs will now be sent to the OSM board for approval.
Victor Drover

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 am

hi Vic

Thanks for the update! Could you please provide answers to these 4 remaining questions?
JacquesR wrote:
  • Could you provide more details on this:
5320-*** Dividends & interest - securities
5320_OSM_FiT_Sustainability $26,805 Vic Drover Mutual Funds value, see account 8580 for expenditure.
8580-*** Contingency provisions
8580_OSM_FiT_Sustainability $24,000 Vic Drover Mutual Funds investment, see account 5320 for revenues.

Are these investments risk-free?

• $10,000 was budgeted with the 2014 budget for a charitable contribution to the SFLC:
8590_OSM_Gifts $10,000
There's no indication (that I could find) from the most recent Budget vs Actuals for 2014 that this was paid over to them, and $0 for 2015? (if you are using the same budget line)

• You mention the following above:
And on the linked spreadsheet you have:
7520_OSM_FiT_Transparency $7,000 Vic Drover Professional accounting assistant + reporting revamp
What would be the responsibilities of a Assistant Bookkeeper in comparison to the current Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer?

• Who is this Travel budget item for?
8310_OSM_Captial_Sponsorship_Events $29,200 Rod Martin
I'm guessing that it might be the travel budget for the OSM board, but the "Capital_Sponsorship" part confuses me.

Return to “Community Blog Discussions”