Update to Joomla wiped out all my extensions!

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Update to Joomla wiped out all my extensions!

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 pm

I got a notice today that an update was available to Joomla, so I allowed the update. Now everything I installed has been wiped out.
Akeeba backup - no way to restore my site now!
JomSocial - gone!
Forum - gone!
Everything I worked hard to install is now gone. Even the T3 framework is gone.

I only temporarily disabled the framework to try another framework called VTEM, with their simple template. I allowed it to install sample data.

Would their template / framework have erased everything, or did the Joomla update erase everything? The only component that survived the update was VirtueMart, but it doesn't show up anywhere except in module listings.

Under Components drop down there is only > post installation message and tags

What happened to community? My blogs? My Akeeba? Kuena forum?

:( All that work and it's gone.

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Update to Joomla wiped out all my extensions!

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 pm

I am new to Joomla and my site was not yet opened to the public. I was still setting up the page layout. What did I do wrong? Can I undo the Joomla update and get my site back?

Here is the order I did things:
1. Installed the update from Joomla
2. Disabled T3 framework and the blank template
3. Installed VTEM simple template and switched it to default.
4. Got an error "Unknown column 'client_id' in 'where clause #15629"
5. Did a search on the error and it was suggested to go to extensions > manage > database and press the fix button (done)
6. The error went away and I was able to access the VTEM template layout control panel. Played around with the layout, decided I missed the T3 framework and liked it better (but wished it had a really cool drag and drop like the VTEM) and so I went to switch back to T3 framework.
That's when I noticed T3 was missing.
I went to access the Akeeba backup to restore T3 and noticed it was missing.
I checked the components and noticed JomSocial, the forum and everything else had been wiped out as well.

Is this an id10T error is VTEM devious, or did the Joomla update wipe out everything?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 26, 2017 8:26 pm

KudzuJungle wrote: only temporarily disabled the framework to try another framework called VTEM, with their simple template. I allowed it to install sample data.

Would their template / framework have erased everything, or did the Joomla update erase everything?
Did you back up your site before installing the VTEM framework? It is would have been good to have run a full backup using Akeeba Backup, in case something went wrong. Otherwise, it would be better to have a test site on a workstation using a bundle like XAMPP or Wampserver, and test third party extension first offline.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 26, 2017 8:33 pm

KudzuJungle wrote:I went to access the Akeeba backup to restore T3 and noticed it was missing.
A slight timing issue in my earlier reply - if you have a full backup of your site when it was fully functional, you can now restore the site using Kickstart: https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentat ... start.html

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I had done a full backup prior, using Akeeba, but Akeeba is no longer on the site to restore. I tried to reinstall Akeeba but there is no installation feature left on Joomla, other than linking to a Web site. Even the install a new extension plugin is missing.

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 pm

This is what the install panel looks like now. Notice there is no upload from computer option any more?
joomla-install-window.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 26, 2017 8:49 pm

You can restore a full backup, produced by Akeeba Backup, into an empty document root folder in the server by copying the kickstart.php file there together with the .jpa file. Follow the Kickstart instructions: https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentat ... ction.html

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I just went to phpMyAdmin to import the back up database, and I see all of the extensions there, including Akeeba, yet Joomla appears to be a brand new install (minus the ability to upload extentions)

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Are you sure you did not install something called a Quickstart version of the new template or framework? Quickstart versions are full installations and usually it is better to install a full version of Joomla and then a third party template and framework separately.

If your backup was done when your site was working and you backed up both the file system and the database, you can restore your site into a consistent state, exactly as it was, by following the Kickstart instructions from Akeeba Backup.

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 pm

I logged into my site and saw a notice that a new version of Joomla was available. I clicked on the update button and away it went. I have no clue what I did. I need to stop clicking buttons.

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 9:29 pm

I went to a site called vtem.net and downloaded vt_simple_template.zip and then uploaded it via the module > install.

Here is the link: http://www.vtem.net/templates/228-agro-template.html

If you scroll down a bit, you will see a notice to download their framework.

While I was looking at their framework information, their entire site disappeared, and I got a notice in Russian language or something like that with a .ru extension. Then it returned me to the site but I don't know what the notice said.

I probably did a really bad thing to download the file. I thought the notice was something like you see on UK sites that popup annoying cookie notices that stay there until you click the x.

KudzuJungle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KudzuJungle » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I deleted the database and reinstalling Joomla. The backups failed. :-(

I don't understand why Joomla acted like it was a fresh install, yet all the tables were in the database as if nothing happened.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Sat May 27, 2017 9:10 am

The backups failed. :-(
Yhats a very broad statement. In 8 years of using akeeba backup I have never had a backup that did not restore
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 am

When your old database tables is present with another prefix, edit configuration.php and change the prefix

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”