Can't update extensions since 3.8.x

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
HenkDePoema
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can't update extensions since 3.8.x

Postby HenkDePoema » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Since version 3.8.x I get these error warnings when trying to install available extension updates:
"Warning upgrade path does not exist" and "Failed to update COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_."
The php log shows:
Undefined index: extractdir in /www/administrator/components/com_installer/models/update.php on line 469, referer: *****/administrator/index.php?option=com_installer&view=update

Line 469 of update.php:

Code: Select all

JInstallerHelper::cleanupInstall($package['packagefile'], $package['extractdir']);

But when I look further into the code of update.php, the update error seems to be created earlier, somewhere beween line 430 to 437. Does anybody know what I can do about this, has anything being changed in the update code?

Thanks in advance!

Btw: I am sure my tmp and log folder are set correctly and they do have read/write permission (755). These settings haven't been changed since previous Joomla versions.

jackrabbit
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Can't update extensions since 3.8.x

Postby jackrabbit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 am

Much of it may be caused by server settings, but there are alternatives to make it work. You may need to do the manual update as some files may not have unpacked and therefore didn't overwrite old files.
Reset Joomla super user password and username simply | http://cmsenergizer.com/website-energy- ... d-remotely

HenkDePoema
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby HenkDePoema » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for your help.
I forgot to mention that I already tried to install the updates manually (there are 4), after downloading the .zip-files from the tmp-folder. But with all of them I get a "Unable to find install package" error, without any further explanation or errors in the logfiles. There's nothing exotic about these extensions, 2 of them are regular language packages. Clicking 'Reinstall' for these 2 languages on the 'Install Languages' page, results in the same "Unable to find install package" error. And that error also appears when reinstalling the 2 other extensions.
Curiously, I now see that the English language package has been successfully updated automatically to version 3.8.1.

I think there are 4 possibilities:
1. There is something wrong with these 4 installation packages
2. There is something wrong with the server, for which I do not have administrative privileges
3. There is something wrong with the core update code since Joomla 3.8.x (unlikely, because this error would be reported more often)
4. A combination of 2 and 3 because it appears that something has changed in the update code that is not accepted by the server

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:14 pm

It looks like you are missing files. It is most likely that your update failed or did not complete correctly.

What version did you update from ?

Also please http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 . Once the cause is found then you can recover with your backup they complete the update again.

HenkDePoema
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby HenkDePoema » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 am

Webdongle wrote:It looks like you are missing files. It is most likely that your update failed or did not complete correctly.

What version did you update from ?

This website is built in 3.4.? (November 2014) and has been having all the updates since then. The same goes for the few extensions the site uses.

But, earlier this year the website has been migrated to another hosting provider, of which afterwards became clear they use a kinda Joomla-unfriendly server configuration. I don't know what is exactly wrong with it, but since the migration I had to fix an open_basedir error manually after each Joomla update, to be able to install extensions at all.
That fix (which consists of editing /libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php) doesn't work in this case.

So, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with an incomplete Joomla-update (or migration), although that could still be the case. But the website works fine and fast without any further issues and as said, another extension of the same kind seems to update fine.

Also please http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 . Once the cause is found then you can recover with your backup they complete the update again.

I was hoping I could fix this with other core hex ;) , or could blame it on bad update packages!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”