Building a native mobile app

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
mangroa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Building a native mobile app

Postby mangroa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi,
What would be the best way to build a native mobile app for a Joomla site?

Are there any tools available to help do this?

Our Joomla site will be relatively simple, mainly static content and some forms.

Thanks
Alan

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Building a native mobile app

Postby sozzled » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 pm

mangroa wrote:What would be the best way to build a native mobile app for a Joomla site?
Perhaps if you provided us with some key requirements for what you consider to be a "native" mobile app for a Joomla website and how those requirements differ from any other "app" we might be in a position to provide some advice.

As you would probably understand, Joomla is a CMS. If you understand the general principles of CMS architecture then you should also appreciate that there are a variety of mechanisms for people to access the content that's maintained by that architecture, including, among other things, mobile apps. It also depends what mobile platform you're designing the app for. Apple mobile apps are developed differently from, say, Android apps.

Again, it depends on the target market. Joomla is agnostic about mobile platforms. Joomla is mainly used to build websites that will be accessed via web browsers (including those browsers deployed for, or available with, mobile platforms). Until we know more about what you're trying to do, whom you're developing the app for, I really couldn't provide you with any further information about the "best way" to build something you haven't described.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

mangroa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Building a native mobile app

Postby mangroa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry, hopefully this is clearer....

We plan on having a simple Joomla site that manages online students. They can do the following via the Joomla website:
Manage courses they are enrolled on
Update personal details
View/update event calendars
Maybe use JomSocial to provide a social network for the students.
SSO to allow authentication using MS Office credentials

The mobile app should be available on the iphone and Android app store.

I believe our options would be a hybrid or native app. I know there are tools that allow hybrid apps to be built fairly easily (any Joomla specific tools?). I just wanted to explore how a native app would work. I guess what we need is to build an API that exposes the site functionality that can be consumed by a mobile app. So is it just a matter of building an app from scratch and consuming an API layer or are there Joomla specific tools that aid this?

Thanks again.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”