Unable to update and install components and modules

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
mjl11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Unable to update and install components and modules

Postby mjl11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:02 pm

I used to be able to update and install components and modules right from the extension manager. I no longer can do this, however I recently discovered that other users on my site are able to do it. I am a super user and I just receive errors like this when trying to update or install:
Update path does not exist.
Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_.
If anyone can help me with why this is happening to my user account I would greatly appreciate it.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Unable to update and install components and modules

Postby AMurray » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:29 pm

"other users on your site" - you mean ALL your users are Super Users??? That's a bit of a security risk. There should be no more than one super user.

Can you please post the FPA Report for your Joomla installation: viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860.

Which method are you installing by - upload the ZIP package through Extension Manager, or Install From Folder, Install from URL or Install from Web?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby AMurray » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Can you give examples of the extensions you're trying to install (and to their JED listings) - in case a member here could test this out on their own installations. It might be a problem with your access, or with the extension, but we can't tell that at this point.
Regards,
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

mjl11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mjl11 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

AMurray wrote:"other users on your site" - you mean ALL your users are Super Users??? That's a bit of a security risk. There should be no more than one super user.

Can you please post the FPA Report for your Joomla installation: viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860.

Which method are you installing by - upload the ZIP package through Extension Manager, or Install From Folder, Install from URL or Install from Web?

http://poolsandgames.com/fpa-en.php
I have tried installing from both ZIP package and from web, but mostly from web.

mjl11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mjl11 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:41 pm

AMurray wrote:Can you give examples of the extensions you're trying to install (and to their JED listings) - in case a member here could test this out on their own installations. It might be a problem with your access, or with the extension, but we can't tell that at this point.

There is only one other super user.
Here are some examples of updates I am trying to perform:
JCE editor core - https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/edition/editors/jce/
ARTIO JoomSEF - https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/site-management/sef/joomsef/
However this is happening with all extensions, it's not just isolated to these.

mjl11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby mjl11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm

@AMurray Were you able to figure anything out with the info I provided?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby AMurray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am

The fpa-en.php file is not found on your server.......

You need run the report, and post the results (formatted for this forum) to a new reply here - not leave it up to us to do. Please read the instructions given and post the results - viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 as I originally requested ;).

I use JCE so for me, personally, that works fine.

Until you can post the FPA report we can't tell what your Joomla environment is like or what might be causing the problems.

I assume however, you are using a Super User account (not simply Administrator) and also you have unzipped any extension that might require it (usually labelled like "unzip_me_1st_" or something as the actual extension zips might be contained in the "parent" zip file.
Regards,
A Murray

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby AMurray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am

mjl11 wrote: I used to be able to update and install components and modules right from the extension manager. I no longer can do this, however I recently discovered that other users on my site are able to do it

So you're saying the other Super User can install extensions.

OK, can you try with your SU id, to create a new super user, and then log on with that one and see if it works?

It sounds to me like a permissions problem, but it might be the extension files you've downloaded e.g. corrupted downloads or something like that.

It might also be a PHP problem such as file-upload size - so suggest checking your hosting service and see if you can access the php.ini and check those settings (or there may be a way to edit them through cPanel, depending on your host).
Regards,
A Murray

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”