Position of Article Info

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
3johnb3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Position of Article Info

Postby 3johnb3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 am

I want to know how to show article publish date, modify date and create date after articles rather than before.

I have selected and saved below In the global articles settings where there there are 3 choices of
above
below
split
but whatever I select this info displays above the articles.
One of my websites used to display this info below the articles for some years in older versions of Joomla! and the other did not. Now neither do.

I am running the latest (3.8.3) version of Joomla!
cheers
john

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Position of Article Info

Postby sozzled » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 am

The answer depends on which site template you are using. If you use either of the default Joomla templates (i.e. Protostar or Beez3) you have some control over the placement of this information. Some third-party templates do not give you any control at all.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

3johnb3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby 3johnb3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Both of my websites use Beez3

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks for confirming this. With Protostar it's easy; use the menu item settings to define what information you want to see and where (above, below, split) you want to see it.

Beez3 seems to ignore those settings! But you can change the placement with CSS, something like this:

Code: Select all

dl.article-info {
     bottom: -50px;
     position: absolute;
}
I hope this helps.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

3johnb3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby 3johnb3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

thanks

This is the clearest reply I have seen to this oft asked question.
Is there any way to get Beez 3 to act on its option to place info at the bottom of the article?
Is this a bug? If so is there anyone to ask to fix it?

cheers
John

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Position of Article Info - Beez3

Postby sozzled » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for your positive feedback. As I wrote, it appears that Beez3 largely ignores the placement of the "article info" data; the information appears at above the article. As I also wrote at the beginning, "some ... templates do not give you any control at all." It would seem that this applies to Beez3.

The design and layout features of Beez3 was settled upon in 2013 when the J! 3.x project began. The J! 3.x project is nearing its completion/end. I haven't looked at the GitHub to see if there were discussions on about this aspect of Beez3. Even if there were discussions on the matter, the focus of the Joomla development team is now on J! 4.0 and on new templates built around Bootstrap 5 and HTML5. So, really, I don't think anyone has any real interest in "fixing" this issue given that it's been around for over four years and there have been few complaints. Personally (and this is no reflection on Beez3 or those who use it) I don't like Beez3; I dislike it and I don't use it.

If you think there's more than a snowflake's-chance-in-hell-of-survival in requesting this matter to be revisited and "resolved" in J! 3.9 then let's see what comments ensue from this discussion. So, until that time happens, I doubt that there will be a way for Beez3 to "act on its option to place info at the bottom of the article:, sorry. 8)

3johnb3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby 3johnb3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks for the story - it makes more sense now - for years I have been puzzled by this.
I will look elsewhere for templates and plan accordingly and wait to see if there are more responses here

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Per Yngve Berg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 am

The file to edit is /templates/beez3/html/com_content/article/default.php

It overrides the core in the Beez3 template.

3johnb3
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby 3johnb3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks
I am not sure what code to paste here and where

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”