Restricted publisher

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
numero_744
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Restricted publisher

Post by numero_744 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 am

Hello!

I think what I want to do is impossible for now but I prefer to ask so it would be made possible in later versions.

I have on the website I administer a "restricted area" where a group of users can go. No problem here.
I have set a group of users who are able to manage the content in this category. This is a sub-group of "Authors". They have all rights on this category, but are just "Authors" for the others. No problem here.
To ease their work I have added just for them a menu to create an article directly in this restricted category.

Here is the problem:
As they have all rights on this category, every article they create should be "Published" by default, just as when I do so. This is not the case. They can save the article and then publish it but as I wrote, I want to ease their work.
I think the problem is that while the article isn't published, it isn't in the restricted category so they aren't allowed to publish it.
However, as the article is created thanks to a form where the category is already selected and cannot be changed, in my opinion it should be published by default.

Thanks by advance,
numero_744

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Restricted publisher

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:16 am

Publishing is authorised by the "edit.state" permission.

numero_744
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by numero_744 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am

numero_744 wrote:As they have all rights on this category, every article they create should be "Published" by default, just as when I do so. This is not the case. They can save the article and then publish it but as I wrote, I want to ease their work.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Does the same happen when the users have only access to this category?

Try to set the group as a child of Registered.

numero_744
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by numero_744 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Before, it was a child of Registered, and there was already this problem.
Then I set it as a child of Author. It is better for other reasons but this problem remains.

numero_744
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by numero_744 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

I think the only solution is that a Joomla! developer sets the "Create article" menu type so that, when a default category is set, the matching rights are applied.
Why not to add an option to let the admin choose?

Thanks by advance,
numero_744

P.S.:
A more general method would be to set the "Create article" menu type so that, whatever a default category is set or not, each time the user chooses a category, the matching rights are updated. But for this last method:
  • it would be more difficult to develop
  • users may be lost if the same menu sets their articles as published by default or not depending on the category

numero_744
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by numero_744 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi!

I realised that the "managers" of this restricted category (who are "Authors" for the other categories) can publish everywhere !
Once they have saved their article in the restricted category (as unpublished, see the first post of this thread), they can publish it in another category even if they aren't allowed !

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”