No email received to validate user registration Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No email received to validate user registration

Post by alex_carol » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello,

A new user registration is not receiving the email to validate their registration request.

We have the settings:
New User Account Activation : 'Administrator'

After registering we get the message on the screen: Your account has been created and an activation link has been sent to the email address you entered. Note that you must activate the account by selecting the activation link when you get the email before you can login.

However no email comes.
If we use the setting New User Account Activation: 'Self'
The email is received.

Any ideas what could be the problem. It used to work for us but we recently updated to the latest versions of Joomla (3.9.1).

Thanks

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: No email received to validate user registration

Post by Webdongle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am

What are your email settings ?
Are you using an email associated with your site or a different email like gmail etc. ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SharkyKZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:08 am

Strange, you are getting the wrong message. When account activation is set to Administrator, the message should be this:
Your account has been created and a verification link has been sent to the email address you entered. Note that you must verify the account by selecting the verification link when you get the email and then an administrator will activate your account before you can login.

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi You are correct, we are receiving that message and no email arrives.
The message I mentioned in the ticket was a mistake, that is the message we receive when we set the setting to "Self" and in this case we are receiving the email..
We are also receiving an email if the user is loaded by import users.
The only situation when we are not receiving the email is if we set the New Account Activation setting to "Administrator"

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm

alex_carol wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm
The only situation when we are not receiving the email is if we set the New Account Activation setting to "Administrator"
So when set 'Administrator' and someone fills in the registration form ... you (Super User) do not receive the email to activate their account ?

Have you altered the 'receive system emails' in your account?
What is the email address for your account ?
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi, If the setting is set to 'Administrator' and a user fills in the registration form, the user (newly registered) does not receive an email. They should be receiving an email to validate with a link.
This used to work but stopped a couple of days ago. We have upgraded the system and other config changes but nothing else that we can think would cause the problem.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 pm

@alex_carol: @Webdongle could be right; if you are using some generic webmail address associated with your website (see https://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issu ... a-websites). It's also possible that the validation link send to the user's email is going into their spam mail.

Have you run the "Test Email Settings" check in the Global Configuration? If so, did you receive a test email to yourself?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello,
We have tested the configuration and sent a test mail successfully.
We are receiving other joomla emails successfully. If we have the setting 'self' we receive the email to activate directly the account. If we have the setting 'administrator' we are not receiving the email.
It is so strange, it seems to be specifically with this new user validation email.
We have checked config and cannot understand what could be wrong.
Thank you for your help

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 pm

As @Webdongle asked you before (and you haven't confirmed it), are you using a generic webmail address to send email?
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi we are using an email that we have created in our hosting (Bluehost).
Another component like ACY mailing and Event Booking are sendind emails without any problems.
Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks. In that case, if you are receiving these emails (and, without evidence to the contrary, others are receiving these emails) what is it about the one person who claims that they're not receiving these emails? Maybe the emails are being sent but the receiver isn't getting them (for some reason) or they're going into the spam mail folder? I would ask the receiver—the one who's not receiving the mail—to explain.

It's also perfectly reasonable for people to create disposable email addresses (e.g. an address that only has a lifetime of 10 minutes) purely for the purposes of registering accounts at various websites they may be interested in joining but for no other reason. If people use disposable email addresses it's possible that the transaction round-trip (from registering a new account to receiving the email and clicking the verification link) may exceed the lifetime of the recipient's email account.

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello,

Sorry I may not have explained correctly.
We are going live this weekend and so we are still testing all our processes. The manual registration process where we register manually (not import) is not sending the validation email.

For example, I use my personal account, which is not currently a user in the system. I fill in the registration form, I get the message on the screen:"Your account has been created and a verification link has been sent to the email address you entered. Note that you must verify the account by selecting the verification link when you get the email and then an administrator will activate your account before you can login."
And I receive no email.
When we were testing this on Monday it was working however we have upgraded Joomla and we have made further configurations but we can't find anything that should have affected these emails.
Especially as if we set the New User Account configuration to 'Self' we receive the email to activate the account. So it is specifically when we have the New User Account configuration set to 'Administrator' however we need this process because it is the one we want to go live with.

I hope this is more clear. I have gone over and over the configuration of Users and it looks the same as before, I am not sure what could possibly be stopping these emails. Something to do with the generation of the validation email maybe? We will also check our outgoing mail server log to see if there could be something there.

Thanks again

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 pm

The only observation that I can make concerning this question is that there are almost as many causes of the problems as there are questions relating to the matter. Email is one of those things that people find difficult to use.

In some cases, where we ask for detailed information (and never get it, by the way), we receive responses like "The problem was fixed after the webhosting provide made a change" ... and that's all the information we get. We cannot say—in any or all cases—whether the problem is a Joomla problem, an internet problem, a server configuration issue or a problem at the receiver's end. Every case seems to be different.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:49 pm

alex_carol wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm
For example, I use my personal account, which is not currently a user in the system. I fill in the registration form, I get the message on the screen:"Your account has been created and a verification link has been sent to the email address you entered. Note that you must verify the account by selecting the verification link when you get the email and then an administrator will activate your account before you can login."
And I receive no email....
Perhaps your email server has a spam filter that is 'catching' the email. PM me a link to the site and I will try.

alex_carol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alex_carol » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Hello, This is now fixed.
Thank you very much to all for your help. Seems it was a hosting problem.
Now we are correctly receiving the sign up email.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 pm
In some cases, where we ask for detailed information (and never get it, by the way), we receive responses like "The problem was fixed after the webhosting provide made a change" ... and that's all the information we get.
Seems like that was the situation here, too. 8)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”