Help! Rename the 'Templates Folder' in Joomla Root Directory Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
MartyBoi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Help! Rename the 'Templates Folder' in Joomla Root Directory

Post by MartyBoi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi.... I don't know if I am allowed to do this, but! I would like to rename the 'Templates Folder' in my Joomla Root Directory.

Note: Not the Template Theme.

Example: <link href="/joomla/templates/frontend/build/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

I want it so that when someone looks at the View Source, people won't see /templates/, but rather /new name/

Is that possible? And if so, how?

Thank You! :D

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Help! Rename the 'Templates Folder' in Joomla Root Directory

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 am

No, you can't rename core folders. If you do, things will break. Instead you can store your template assets in a different folder.

MartyBoi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MartyBoi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi SharkyKZ

Thank you for your response. So what you are saying is, I can remove the Templates from the Templates Folder then place them in a New Folder, correct? Which means I will have to create a new PATH, right?

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 am

MartyBoi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Thank you for your response. So what you are saying is, I can remove the Templates from the Templates Folder then place them in a New Folder, correct? Which means I will have to create a new PATH, right?
I suspect that SharkyKZ is saying that Joomla will still call/look for templates in the /Templates folder but if you are using your own template (rather than one written/programmed by a third-party) then you can have elements of your template stored in a different folder. Joomla will still have to be able to read the essential information from the /Templates folder though.

Sure, you can refactor a third-party template to do this but you will have to go through the process again each time an update is released and installed.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.11 and PHP7.3

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”