No New Menu Link Work Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
bgareth2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No New Menu Link Work

Post by bgareth2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

Hi, I ended up making some changes within the General Configuration area to SEO and URL handling, I created a test post (and a menu item) and then subsequently changed it back to the original settings when I didn't get the desired result. However, any new links (and/or possibly articles) created since I have changed it back trigger a 404 error so I believe this has somehow messed up the database. The same happened to me a long time ago and I can't remember how to fix it.

I'm running Joomla 3.9.11 (although I was on 3.9.10 at the time).

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: No New Menu Link Work

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am

Have you renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess?

Presume you are hosted on an Apache web server.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 am

Make sure that you have the following settings (default):

Search Engine Friendly URLs = yes
URL-Rewrite = No
Add Suffix = No
Unicode=No

In your file system change .htaccess to htaccess.txt

This is the default Joomla settings upon installation and they should work

Also clear your browser cache and the 2 Joomla caches

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Support Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am

bgareth2 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am
Hi, I ended up making some changes within the General Configuration area to SEO and URL handling ...
I don't know if it matters or not but, because you wrote this, what changes (specifically) did you make and how do you think those changes have an influence on the problem?

bgareth2 wrote:
I created a test post (and a menu item) and then subsequently changed it back to the original settings when I didn't get the desired result.
The term "post" is a term used in Wordpress; it Joomla we call this an article.

You wrote that you changed "it" back. What was "it" that you changed? Was it the article or the menu item? What was/were the "original" setting(s)? When you wrote that you didn't "get the desired result", what result would have been desired?

bgareth2 wrote:
However, any new links (and/or possibly articles) created since I have changed it back trigger a 404 error ...
Unclear but this may relate the the first point I made above.

bgareth2 wrote:
I believe this has somehow messed up the database.
I don't think there's a problem with the database (yet) and I'm going to take a wild guess that you enabled "Modern" routing where before you had the [default] "Legacy" routing. That's just a wild guess. More information is needed, especially the answers to the questions I've asked you.

Probably not related to renaming htaccess.txt to .htaccess but that's something you could check. When experimenting with J! websites, it's a good idea to disable any site caching.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

bgareth2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bgareth2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am
Have you renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess?

Presume you are hosted on an Apache web server.
Hi, Sorry about the delay, no I hadn't. I tried doing this to see if it made any difference - unfortunately it didn't. Yes I am using Apache.
You wrote that you changed "it" back. What was "it" that you changed? Was it the article or the menu item? What was/were the "original" setting(s)? When you wrote that you didn't "get the desired result", what result would have been desired?
I changed this setting but I had changed it back by the time I messaged here for help:

Search Engine Friendly URLs = yes

What I was trying to achieve...

I was trying to get a direct link to an item so I turned of SEF to generate it before putting it back. It didn't work so I changed it back. I had created articles with both SEF on and SEF off and this appears to have created the issue. The menu item is not set as external URL, just to confirm, it's set to an internal article - anything new simply triggers a Joomla 404 error (as opposed to an apache 404 error - yes, I am using Apache).

I've not messed around with routing unless this happened automatically (for better or worse). I did clear all of the caches too but no joy. I've checked legacy routing at least from content -> Articles -> options and it is still set as legacy.

The other issue is that I realised I had changed permissions on the config.php file and I had made it unwriteable inadvertently by Joomla so i'm just wondering if this has caused instability. I've made it writeable again, created a brand new article after deleting and emptying trash on test menu items and articles created whilst Joomla has not been working properly but this isn't sorting it either.

bgareth2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bgareth2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:12 pm

FIXED - oh for goodness sake, it has nothing to do with any of the above, i'd unpublished the uncategorised category - don't remember doing it though so it's worth watching out if the uncategorised category is unpublished by way of a bug somewhere. To fix this if anybody else is struggling - go to this post viewtopic.php?t=822926

Many thanks to all who responded.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”