Create page not managed by joomla.

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Rail3x
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Create page not managed by joomla.

Post by Rail3x » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm

I have been developing a web app in a vacuum for some time now. I finally am ready to put it on the website when I found out it uses joomla. I already have all the HTML and javaScript ready and I was wondering if their is a way via the admin page to add a page that won't be controlled by joomla's content management system.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Create page not managed by joomla.

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

If I understand your question correctly.....

You can't use Joomla to install your app if it's not a Joomla extension. You would just upload the files by FTP to a sub- folder - it will run independently of Joomla. e.g. if Joomla is installed in the root directory of the hosting, your application will go in a sub-folder like "site.com/your-app". If your app uses a database, it's best to create a new database for it, or ensure uniquely identifable db tables are used for your application if you have to use the same database as Joomla.

Joomla is written with PHP and it's large variety of apps (for want of a better word) are comprised of extensions such as plugins, components, modules and templates.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm

I agree with @AMurray's advice up to the last paragraph. Depending on one's definition of an app—and app could just as easily be a collection of files (with or without database interaction) written in whatever programming language one may choose—you could just as easily create a menu item on your J! website that points to the folder where you've located the file(s) that controls the app as an "[urlhttps://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Menus_Menu_Item_External_URL]external URL[/url]". You could try that.

It may require a bit of experimenting; it may work ... or not.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Rail3x
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rail3x » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm
I agree with @AMurray's advice up to the last paragraph. Depending on one's definition of an app—and app could just as easily be a collection of files (with or without database interaction) written in whatever programming language one may choose—you could just as easily create a menu item on your J! website that points to the folder where you've located the file(s) that controls the app as an "[urlhttps://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Menus_Menu_Item_External_URL]external URL[/url]". You could try that.

It may require a bit of experimenting; it may work ... or not.
Thanks. Going to have to talk to the system admin about getting access to the web server, right now I only have access to the admin page.

Nidzo2203
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nidzo2203 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Can't he take advantage of Joomla article and code editor?
He mentioned HTML code and JS files, nothing more. That can be implemented in article.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:19 pm

You also can load the not managed page by Joomla in Joomla using an iFrame:
- Via module: https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Extensio ... er_Wrapper
- Via menu item: https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Menus_Menu_Item_Wrapper

Nidzo2203 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 pm
Can't he take advantage of Joomla article and code editor?
He mentioned HTML code and JS files, nothing more. That can be implemented in article.
Also possible via custom module, but depends on what the app does.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 pm

I agree with @AlexVega: it depends on what is meant by "app" (and what it does). The solution also depends on what the term "page" means. Are we talking about a web page generated by a J! menu item or are we only talking about inserting some HTML and Javascript somewhere within some other content managed by J! (e.g. an article)? I don't know what we're actually discussing and the answer is further complicated by the OP's apparent lack of understanding about how J! works, I think.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Rail3x
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rail3x » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 pm
I agree with @AlexVega: it depends on what is meant by "app" (and what it does). The solution also depends on what the term "page" means. Are we talking about a web page generated by a J! menu item or are we only talking about inserting some HTML and Javascript somewhere within some other content managed by J! (e.g. an article)? I don't know what we're actually discussing and the answer is further complicated by the OP's apparent lack of understanding about how J! works, I think.
Sorry for the late reply. The web app is a tool that users can use to place objects in a 3d scene (like a 3d editor). I began developing it before knowing what Joomla! was and now need to find a way to integrate it into the website. The web app takes up the full web page. Should be made clear I am very new to web development, not new to software development though. I have come in late on a project and don't really understand the tools they use.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:53 pm

As already mentioned, put your application into a sub-folder on the web server. Make a menu item "External URL" menu item type. You can set the target as "new window" and I think you can set it so the browser window is maximised, and without its usual toolbar, side bar and menu.

If you're not familiar with Joomla then the site owner could make the menu item if you give them the URL where your application is located.

The alternative could be to use a "wrapper" (iFrame) menu item, and link to your application that way.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”