Creating child tags on the fly and other newbie questions

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
dubikan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Creating child tags on the fly and other newbie questions

Post by dubikan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi.

I'm new to Joomla, and was tasked with maintaining an existing website (Joomla 3.9), which has been long-neglected. I'm trying to put in some improvements, including using tags. I've encountered some difficulties, and I hope you can help me:

1. Is there a way to either create child-tags on the fly (e.g., typing "foo/bar" into the tag field on an article) OR batch assign tags to a parent tag (so I create a bunch of tags on the fly and then assign them all to a parent)? The only way I can see right now is to create each tag individually and assign a parent, and that seems like a lot of potentially avoidable work.

2. I created a tag searching page, but the search box defaults to saying "Enter Part of Title", which seems confusing to me. Is there a way for me to change it to "Enter Part of Tag Name" or something like that?

3. When using category lists, if I go into a subcategory, I can't see any way to climb back up to the parent category. How do I add a link to the parent category?

I should say, I have access to the backend, but not to the PHP files, so if the solutions can be done directly through the options rather than changes to the actual files, that would be better.

Thanks!
dk

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creating child tags on the fly

Post by sozzled » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm

dubikan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:14 pm
1. Is there a way to either create child-tags on the fly (e.g., typing "foo/bar" into the tag field on an article)
Thanks. That's a good question.

The documentation isn't very helpful on this point. The tutorial I found does not go into dynamically creating child tags, either. Certainly you can create new tags (at the root level) "on-the-fly" (e.g. enter "foo" as a new tag, save the article and the tag is created) but if you enter "foo/bar" then the new tag is created as a "child" of the root (not as two entries like this)

foo ("child" of root)
|---- bar (child of foo)

So, no, it doesn't work like that. You need to go into the Tags component and set up the new tags structure there. Further, if you already have a "parent" tag (e.g. "foo"), entering "foo/bar" when you're editing an article, does not create the new tag as a "child" tag when you save the article.

dubikan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:14 pm
The only way I can see right now is to create each tag individually and assign a parent ...
Yes, that seems to be the way it works.

This forum works best when we deal with one question at a time; therefore, I will not address the second and third questions you asked because they are not related to the question I have addressed here. I suggest that you create two new topics and ask one question per topic. I hope that helps. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

dubikan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Creating child tags on the fly

Post by dubikan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:43 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm
So, no, it doesn't work like that. You need to go into the Tags component and set up the new tags structure there.
Thanks. Is there, then, a way to batch assign tags to a new parent, or will I have to do this one by one?
sozzled wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm
This forum works best when we deal with one question at a time; therefore, I will not address the second and third questions you asked because they are not related to the question I have addressed here. I suggest that you create two new topics and ask one question per topic. I hope that helps. :)
Thanks, will do.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”