can Joomla record member names and phone numbers

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
i000b
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

can Joomla record member names and phone numbers

Post by i000b » Sat May 15, 2021 5:12 pm

I am looking to create community based web site. One feature of the web site will be that community members will be able register to volunteer for different activities. To register, they will add/enter their contact information on a web page and this contact information will automatically be stored (e.g. in the database). I have no experience with Joomla but it looks promising. Before I commit to learning Joomla, I would first like to confirm that Joomla can easily be configured/setup to automatically record community member contact information that is entered in a web page. Can someone please confirm this can be done in Joomla?

Thanks,

Ian

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: can Joomla record member names and phone numbers

Post by brian » Sat May 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Confirmed
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 pm

To answer your immediate question:

YES - Joomla can collect information such as names and contact details. It is a default function of Joomla when a user registers for a user account.

Joomla only asks for the basic details concerning the website user account, but you can add additional fields, to build up the user's 'profile' e.g. address, and phone contacts and other information and even custom fields (for your specific purpose, so the member can select the categories for which they have the capacity to volunteer).

You could build on the above, using Community Builder https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... y-builder/ to some extent.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

i000b
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by i000b » Sun May 16, 2021 12:48 am

Thanks A. Murray. I will check out the extension you recommended.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 am

i000b wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:12 pm
One feature of the web site will be that community members will be able register to volunteer for different activities. To register [for specific activities] they will ... enter their contact information on a web page and this ... information will automatically be stored (e.g. in the database).
When I read the request like this, the requirement is more than a simple reading of the subject.

The basic answer to the question, "Can Joomla record member names and phone numbers [as part of the process of creating a new account]?" is yes (as @brian and @AMurray have written). It's quite simple: the Joomla CMS can accommodate this information by enabling the plugin User - Profile. This plugin is disabled by default. This is also one of the worst-documented features of Joomla; I spent half an hour trying to find a tutorial on this plugin and I had to give up. Here's a two sample screenshots from the J! administration that shows the information you can obtain from people when they create a new account:
j4basicUser.png
j4extraUser.png
You do not need Community Builder to collect names and phone numbers.

However ...

... creating a web page that allows members to register themselves for specific community activities ...

... that's different.

It's a little more complicated but, in effect, you need to create a form for each activity and allow your members to use that form so that they could register for those activities they're interested in. There are a lot of forms "systems" (or, in J! terms, they're called components) and you can find some of them in the Joomla Extensions Directory. You could also use an "event" component; there are quite a few of those also in the JED.

The last time that I looked at Community Builder, I wasn't aware of the ability to create separate forms for "activities" that people might be interested in putting their names/phone numbers against.

In conclusion: yes it's possible to do what you want in J!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”