Reliable SMTP / Relay Services?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
wirecreative
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Reliable SMTP / Relay Services?

Post by wirecreative » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 pm

I've been experiencing more problems than usual lately with mail sent through Joomla sites, as most premium email providers refuse to allow SMTP connections from website apps, or make the process prohibitively difficult to get working. And using the website hosting server to send emails seems to result in unreliable delivery.

I'm looking an alternative that I can use for a lot of clients. Either a good inexpensive SMTP relay service that will allow me to setup multiple domains at one low monthly price, or an alternate email host that will play along with typically low-volume SMTP use and not end up frequently on blacklists. I used to use Rackspace, but even they are discouraging this type of usage now.

On most sites I build, I need system notifications and RSFormPro notifications to get delivered consistently; and some have registration or ecommerce or other extensions that send notifications.

Is SendGrid affordable for multiple domain names? Is AWS SES too complicated? Is there a good under-the-radar solution? What do you use for reliable SMTP delivery from your Joomla sites?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Administration

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Reliable SMTP / Relay Services?

Post by AMurray » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:09 pm

I just use the email function available with my web host, set up the email addresses, and use their SMTP server. Never had any issues.
Regards - A Murray

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Reliable SMTP / Relay Services?

Post by toivo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:07 am

The SMTP server of Gmail works all right, both in localhost and remote servers.

Ref. How do I use Gmail as my mail server
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”