Accessing an existing Joomla account

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
davidheim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Accessing an existing Joomla account

Post by davidheim » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm

I have agreed to help a friend maintain his web site, which was created with Joomla. Do I have to install Joomla on my computer in order to access his web site? The installation instructions are way above my pay grade. If I have my friend's Joomla logins, is there a way for me to access Joomla without having to install it on my computer?

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Accessing an existing Joomla account

Post by gws » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Normally joomla is hosted on a server,you do not need joomla on your computer to access it. Open your friends website in your browser, append administrator to the site url i.e. mywebsite.com/administrator log in and you should enter the admin area of the site.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Accessing an existing Joomla account

Post by AMurray » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:30 am

I would discourage sharing of logins but that's your friend's decision; he should otherwise be able to create, and give you your own login account, e.g. set up as an "Administrator" user. which gives you access to most of the back end functions for creating content.

Normally it is not best practice to have more than one "super user" account in any one web site (so I've heard).
Regards - A Murray

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”