Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Post Reply
CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm

One problem after the other, now i have Google Analytics cookie giving me this (via Chrome Debugger):

VM61 analytics.js:26 Cookie write failed.
log @ VM61 analytics.js:26
O @ VM61 analytics.js:25
oa @ VM61 analytics.js:78
Yc @ VM61 analytics.js:76
qe @ VM61 analytics.js:102
ad @ VM61 analytics.js:94
Z.create @ VM61 analytics.js:116
Y.b.<computed> @ VM61 analytics.js:73
jf.R @ VM61 analytics.js:115
jf.H @ VM61 analytics.js:113
Z.P @ VM61 analytics.js:120
cd @ VM61 analytics.js:107
A @ VM61 analytics.js:107
(anonymous) @ VM61 analytics.js:123
(anonymous) @ VM61 analytics.js:123

Any ideas? I have no clue as to what it means :(

Thank you.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 pm

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:00 am

Webdongle wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 pm
https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ please
Why do you people take for granted that someone can even use this? And why if you don't have an answer (i take it you don't since it would be faster to just say what you think is wrong) reply with this link? If the people running this page don't want to provide support to Joomla users they can always shut it down and replace it with a link to the Forum Post Assistant.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 4315
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: South coast, UK
Contact:

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by gws » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:12 am

Its up to you whether you use the FPA or not... However if you want help then you should use it, it helps us to help you.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:13 am

Because if you can't use the fpa you probably don't know enough to run a website.

If we don't have the answer straight away it's because we don't have enough info. So seeing the results of the fpa helps diagnose your problem.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am

Webdongle wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:13 am
Because if you can't use the fpa you probably don't know enough to run a website.

If we don't have the answer straight away it's because we don't have enough info. So seeing the results of the fpa helps diagnose your problem.
If i knew enough as you say I'd probably know what to do. With a quick google search i see that others have the same issue and even though they have solutions i haven't found one suitable for Joomla. Others talk about injecting a code in GA but they don't point to a specific file (to them it's a given which the file is, to me it's not).
In any case analytics are not working properly, backend says there are 300 people online and analytics records like 6 so something is seriously messed up (good thing Chrome has a debugger so i checked and saw cookies are not written).

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 am

CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am
...

If i knew enough as you say I'd probably know what to do. ...
Not true. Running the fpa and posting the results uses basics techniques that if you don't have make it difficult to run a website. Finding and fixing problems requires more. But I suspect that you can use the fpa an post the results. It is more like you are trying to double guess the cause and can't be bothered to run the fpa.

The fpa may not help diagnose the answer in this case but it won't hurt to try.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

illovo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by illovo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:28 pm

Nowadays any browser has a setting to block 3rd cookies, tracking cookies, some send a "Do not track" and so on. In many browsers and for me, and not only for me, these are standard settings.

Did you check your browser settings?

And without a link to your site noone can test your find.

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:54 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 am
CrimeDoesNotPay wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:36 am
...

If i knew enough as you say I'd probably know what to do. ...
Not true. Running the fpa and posting the results uses basics techniques that if you don't have make it difficult to run a website. Finding and fixing problems requires more. But I suspect that you can use the fpa an post the results. It is more like you are trying to double guess the cause and can't be bothered to run the fpa.

The fpa may not help diagnose the answer in this case but it won't hurt to try.
Honestly i can't, i am not a webmaster, i just help a friend out so i don't know how to run it.
If there's a guide somewhere please point me to it.
Thank you.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:49 pm

You know how to unpack files
You know how to upload files. (Host's cp)
You know how to point the Browser at a file
You know how to read and follow on screen Instructions
You know how to paste into a forum post.

All simple procedures that surely you have performed many times.

It's that simple. Give it a try you might surprise yourself 🙂
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 10418
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm

I think this is a Google Analytics issue and unrelated to J!. I searched for the term "analytics.js:26 Cookie write failed" but the the results of that search don't help much. I don't have any information that would help to diagnose this matter.

Because the OP detected the issue by using the webdesign/inspector tools in their browser, I don't think this is a J!- or webserver-related matter; it's a Javascript matter, certainly. I doubt that the FPA report would reveal anything special.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)
Testing J! 3.10: https://sintranet.enduring.com.au

CrimeDoesNotPay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by CrimeDoesNotPay » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:07 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm
I think this is a Google Analytics issue and unrelated to J!. I searched for the term "analytics.js:26 Cookie write failed" but the the results of that search don't help much. I don't have any information that would help to diagnose this matter.

Because the OP detected the issue by using the webdesign/inspector tools in their browser, I don't think this is a J!- or webserver-related matter; it's a Javascript matter, certainly. I doubt that the FPA report would reveal anything special.
Never said it was Joomla specific, wordpress sites have it too. The thing is that they seem to have different solutions which i can't implement in Joomla.
Will try the FPA however, just in case.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 40124
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Can't Write Cookie (Google Analytics)

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm

It's unlikely the fpa will reveal a clue to the problem but it won't hurt to look at it.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".


Post Reply

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”