How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
coconutboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

Post by coconutboy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Hello Joomlers, hope you are well and safe!

From my my subject above, I was looking around the forum and archives (some of which dates back to 2012) and it does not seem that this request has a proper solution to it.

I'm not looking for a solution here as I've yet to come across a project that I will use this BUT, hear me out.

I think this should be included at the core of Joomla. You don't have to use fancy carousels, advance plugins or create menu links nothing. Joomla should be able, say by using Link A, when a user clicks the title, redirect to that external link. Simple. Joomla should not load the article but load the external link directly.
Wordpress does this well by default so why not our beloved CMS ?

Just a thought! FYI, I'm not a WP user, 99% of my projects are joomla and i feel there's still a lot of improvements needed! Thank you and stay safe people!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

Post by AMurray » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:37 am

You can make the suggestion on Github, as a future feature request for Joomla 4.0 at https://issues.joomla.org.

However, it's not likely new features will be introduced in Joomla 3.x given v3.10 is now a 'bridge' to v4.0.

3.10 will have bug and security updates only for the next two years until support for it is eventually withdrawn.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 am

coconutboy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:53 pm
I'm not looking for a solution here as I've yet to come across a project that I will use this BUT, hear me out.
Hi. Exactly. I can only imagine one case when it may need - creating a catalog with affiliate links.

But why to spend volunteers time to develop the things that in 99% of cases never needed?
Joomla allows you more than you ask. It allows you to create overrides where you can do everything as you like, without any restrictions. To create a blog override with such a functionality is not so difficult, not even being PHP gig. And if you compare with WordPress - there it is not possible at all.

Webmasters who are engaged in affiliate marketing will make it on their own and this will not be difficult for them. Since only experienced users can work in this area.

Each CMS has its pros and cons.

IMO

coconutboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coconutboy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:37 am
You can make the suggestion on Github, as a future feature request for Joomla 4.0 at https://issues.joomla.org.

However, it's not likely new features will be introduced in Joomla 3.x given v3.10 is now a 'bridge' to v4.0.

3.10 will have bug and security updates only for the next two years until support for it is eventually withdrawn.
Sure thing. Does not have to be Joomla 3 but 4 is fine. THanks

Pavel-ww wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 am
It allows you to create overrides where you can do everything as you like, without any restrictions. To create a blog override with such a functionality is not so difficult, not even being PHP gig. And if you compare with WordPress - there it is not possible at all.
Yeah I know, but not everyone out there is a developer. Some people are layman or starting out and you can't have them fiddling in php files. But I guess contributing via Github is worth a shot.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:57 pm

coconutboy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah I know, but not everyone out there is a developer. Some people are layman or starting out and you can't have them fiddling in php files. ...
CMS stands for Content Management Systems not Create Magical Sites. A CMS is designed to manage content it is not a magical panacea to replace knowledge of websites.

Although, it is true that, a CMS makes creating a site and managing the content easier ... It is also true that usefulness of the finished site depends on the skill of the website master/designer. Learn to create what you want or pay someone to do it for you.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”