Can I make a site open source? Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can I make a site open source?

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 am

Hi, all

I've been given a website managed by Joomla, and I'm being asked to make it open source. Is this possible? Wouldn't that mean allowing public access to the site administration so users can update extensions and content? It just doesn't seem feasible, unless someone who knows what they're doing could explain and help me out.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Can I make a site open source?

Post by gws » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:31 am

Joomla is open source.i.e. the code is published for anyone to see. Whoever is asking you to make the website open source doesn't understand what open source is.

Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm

I'm not sure how it works though. This Joomla site isn't edited directly via the CMS. There's a bash script to run which creates a ZIP archive based on a bunch of source files we have, then that gets installed as an extension, which can't be edited live. What confuses me is how are the public supposed to be able to handle that? It'd mean every user would need an administration login, would they not? I don't understand myself. This is a website that somebody else designed and built, and now it's been dropped on me a year later

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 pm

Lanky MikStanky wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm
I'm not sure how it works though. This Joomla site isn't edited directly via the CMS. There's a bash script to run which creates a ZIP archive based on a bunch of source files we have, then that gets installed as an extension, which can't be edited live. What confuses me is how are the public supposed to be able to handle that? It'd mean every user would need an administration login, would they not? I don't understand myself. This is a website that somebody else designed and built, and now it's been dropped on me a year later
That does not make much sense? The whole point of a CMS is so you can manage the content. Are you sure it is a joomla site? If so what is the url?

Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:58 pm

I know, it seems really weird to me. The URL is https://apmup.lnx.warwick.ac.uk/, while the Joomla login is at https://apmup.lnx.warwick.ac.uk/live/administrator. New users specifically have to get in touch with our IT department so they can create new credentials. Appreciate you getting back to me, by the way. I'm very lost

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm

All I can say from the url is it is a joomla site. I would contact the IT dept and see what they have to say? As it is medical data I suspect they have strong data protection rules...

Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Ok I've worked it out a bit, the entire site is installed as a component, rather than managed via the CMS, so it's that component I've got to make open source somehow. Don't know how the pipeline's going to work, assuming it even can, but I guess I'll have to work something out, or just accept it ain't going to happen. Hopefully (and probably) the latter.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Does the component have a name or is bespoke to your organisation?

Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 am

It's bespoke, an old engineer built it who's been long gone since

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 am

I guess you would have to rebuild your site if you wish it to perform like a CMS should,good luck.

Lanky MikStanky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lanky MikStanky » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:40 am

Well that's going to be a mammoth task, it's built under the MVC. I think this is going to be completely beyond me. Thanks for your help :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”